What's new

New gd 207 with goldwash

Preview of a new gd. Gold wash. No idea what the scales are made of. Pal of mine is trying to get a couple to see. Fancy fancy. Lol. $13119853_10153772221102800_6882141634324867768_o.jpg

But what's left for you to do? That one may put Vorpal out of business, no?

Vorpal out of business?

No way.

That fly by night operation is barely in business to begin with....I hear the owner of that place is a miserable SOB who likes to drink.

The 207 may put Dovo out of business:
proxy.php

$5 US plus ship. He's taking preorders.apparently he's a manager of facility in Ningbo. Scales are like the 208. I'm trying to convince him to make them solid scale acrylic or micarta for more $$. Trying to get a few anyway to see. $5 is cheap even of you dump the scales for some origami.:w00t:

$5 US plus ship. He's taking preorders.apparently he's a manager of facility in Ningbo. Scales are like the 208. I'm trying to convince him to make them solid scale acrylic or micarta for more $$. Trying to get a few anyway to see. $5 is cheap even of you dump the scales for some origami.:w00t:

Where can we sign up for preorders? I'm believing that GD needs to start stamping their tang "GD Ningbo". Maybe they did already since I see where there is something on the tang in that picture.

Where can we sign up for preorders? I'm believing that GD needs to start stamping their tang "GD Ningbo". Maybe they did already since I see where there is something on the tang in that picture.
Pal of mine from Facebook is talking to the guy. If there is a link available to buy I will post it.

It's amazing that they can get really close on the aesthetics, if they try, but are somehow mystified by the shoulder's intrusion into the honing plane. Somehow the little, triangular, relief grind on similar designed western (or Nipon) razors, or the alternatively and perfectly performed grind of Filis, escapes them.

It's amazing that they can get really close on the aesthetics, if they try, but are somehow mystified by the shoulder's intrusion into the honing plane. Somehow the little, triangular, relief grind on similar designed western (or Nipon) razors, or the alternatively and perfectly performed grind of Filis, escapes them.

If you'd like them to cost the $300 that a Filli costs, I'm sure that they could do a better job!:thumbup1:

Convincing him to bring the spine width down from 0.240" to 0.200" (~6 mm to ~5 mm) or thereabouts would be nice ;)

Noooooo!
:blink:

The big, beefy spine is one of the GD's best qualities.

If you prefer an anemic, spindly spine, you should be shopping for Pakistani razors. They alomost always come with narrow little spines, leading to very acute bevel angles.

If you'd like them to cost the $300 that a Filli costs, I'm sure that they could do a better job!:thumbup1:

Yes, sometimes we forget that we are talking about a $5 razor which will probably run around $7.50 - $10 when it hits ebay. I know that Filli can charge more because of the name, but I doubt if it is $290 more.

Noooooo!
:blink:

The big, beefy spine is one of the GD's best qualities.

If you prefer an anemic, spindly spine, you should be shopping for Pakistani razors. They alomost always come with narrow little spines, leading to very acute bevel angles.

v0v 0.200" puts you at about 16.5 degrees with a GD's blade width, approximately the same geometry as a new production Bismarck. What's a typical Pakistani razor at, 13 degrees or so?

v0v 0.200" puts you at about 16.5 degrees with a GD's blade width, approximately the same geometry as a new production Bismarck. What's a typical Pakistani razor at, 13 degrees or so?

Yup, about 13-14 degrees.

Gives a nice shave. See here

But, so does a Feather Pro Super, which has a 25 degree bevel angle, and a reputation for being one of the most lightsaberish of all edges.

Yup, about 13-14 degrees.

Gives a nice shave. See here

But, so does a Feather Pro Super, which has a 25 degree bevel angle, and a reputation for being one of the most lightsaberish of all edges.

Feather Pro Supers do not have a 25 degree bevel angle, they have a ~19 degree bevel angle. DE blades are around 25 degrees. I will agree that Pro Supers shave very well, though :)

I certainly can't get a stock-geometry GD with its 19 or 20 degree bevel angle to shave as well for me as a Feather Pro Super using just film; if you can, hats off to you, Seraphim (neat work with the Pakistani razor btw). I assume the width of the apex is what makes the difference. Maybe diamond or CBN pasted stropping would get me there, but a thinner spine and the more acute bevel that goes with it definitely improve the shave for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom