What's new

New gd 207 with goldwash

But a minor change to their process would allow that pretty gold wash to stay put for a little while, instead of being instantly removed in order to hone like one ought. MANY items that come from China do not function AT ALL because they neglect to address issues that cost nothing to do right. Many times it's just order of operations, or modification of a die with a die-grinder that would be business as usual for a business that had much closer ties to the end user. I'm not ridiculing their decision to engage eye-appeal over function. Just observing the facts of what is, from my perspective, myopic marketing.

GDs are totally functional. They are the epitome of function over style.

So, throw a lil gold (dollar) wash on there, and bang, done. $5 razor with gold wash and a blade etch.

Feather Pro Supers do not have a 25 degree bevel angle, they have a ~19 degree bevel angle. DE blades are around 25 degrees. I will agree that Pro Supers shave very well, though :)

Sweet data! (However, see below)

I hadn't seen that before.

I was quoting the 25 degree bevel angle off of a Tim Zowada article he used to have on his old website. He measured the angle of a laser beam reflected off of the edge bevel.

I think that guy's measurement is in error.

Where he has drawn his measurement lines for angle calculation seems to miss the very edge bevel angle.

See my image below that may account for the discrepancy. Take a closer look at his SEM pics on his site. I believe that he is mistaken.

Attachments

• $1feather edge.jpg
    $1feather edge.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 190
Sweet data! (However, see below)

I hadn't seen that before.

I was quoting the 25 degree bevel angle off of a Tim Zowada article he used to have on his old website. He measured the angle of a laser beam reflected off of the edge bevel.

I think that guy's measurement is in error.

Where he has drawn his measurement lines for angle calculation seems to miss the very edge bevel angle.

See my image below that may account for the discrepancy. Take a closer look at his SEM pics on his site. I believe that he is mistaken.

Another way to see his measurement error is to extend his current measurement lines, and it can be clearly seen that they do not match up to the apex of the actual edge itself.

Attachments

• $1feather edge 2.jpg
    $1feather edge 2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 143
Some of his images are with blades that have a convex secondary bevel but that coated thing looks like a DE blade? Still, it appears to have a secondary bevel (or some convexing going on there) too.

GDs are totally functional.

Well, mine are, and I trust that yours are. But mine required the buyer to employ a grinder to an ostensibly finished razor.

Yes, they are a bargain. I love that they are available. But theses are red herrings to my point.

Some of his images are with blades that have a convex secondary bevel but that coated thing looks like a DE blade? Still, it appears to have a secondary bevel (or some convexing going on there) too.

Right. A secondary bevel. I believe that his investigations are what led Zowada to use tape to create a secondary bevel on his razors.

I just looked up the Feather site. It is actually a TRIPLE bevel!

Attachments

• $1 feather edge catalog.jpg
    $1 feather edge catalog.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 156
I wondered if the ZY competition might shake things up over there.
Could be. But the zys are still so close to gd. I think they may be gds stamped but ground differently. But competition is good. The consumer always wins. Pal of mine ordered 25 so I'm getting one. The zys I think are great for noobs. They sit flat on the hone. I got 33 of them for giveaways and so far so good. I have heard some horror stories though on some as well. I guess we will just wait and see what our pals are going to come up with. I think they can do it for sure. I think they will get it just right eventually.

Mileage really varies but I have to give the quality nod to ZY thus far. Even if all they do is buy GD blanks and fix them by grinding off the heel. Then again, my sample size is only 4.

I had one ZY that was perfect and one that had a heelspike from the factory (which filed off easily.) Both were geometrically fine and super easy to hone.

On the other hand, my GD300 came warped - if I knew then what I know now I would have chucked it. As it was, it's lost a few millimeters to 320 grit. My GD66 had a nasty toe chip and of course the ridiculously bad GD66 shoulder and stabilizer, but otherwise honed up nicely after a bit of filing.

When you say filing, do you mean you're using a steel file, or are these like Norton stone files?
Mileage really varies but I have to give the quality nod to ZY thus far. Even if all they do is buy GD blanks and fix them by grinding off the heel. Then again, my sample size is only 4.

I had one ZY that was perfect and one that had a heelspike from the factory (which filed off easily.) Both were geometrically fine and super easy to hone.

On the other hand, my GD300 came warped - if I knew then what I know now I would have chucked it. As it was, it's lost a few millimeters to 320 grit. My GD66 had a nasty toe chip and of course the ridiculously bad GD66 shoulder and stabilizer, but otherwise honed up nicely after a bit of filing.

I think that gds are really easy to get into shaving shape. Light trim of the heel is all that's needed. And they can be honed as they are. Only thing is you have to watch for the heel hook that may develop. And that can be deal with with a 1k stone, no Dremel needed.

The thing that ends up being the fly in the ointment for me is the swell of the edge at and near the heel that becomes a wider section of the bevel for just a few mm. Reducing that thickening of the metal on and near the edge is dicey, and getting rid of it with major heel removal,while effective, is not what I like to do. Quibbles, really, but they're flies in the ointment that I wish weren't there. Like Seraphim says, though, for $5 what do you want? lol
I think that gds are really easy to get into shaving shape. Light trim of the heel is all that's needed. And they can be honed as they are. Only thing is you have to watch for the heel hook that may develop. And that can be deal with with a 1k stone, no Dremel needed.

Top Bottom