What's new

New best-in-class: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream - an absolute game changer

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
OK will do. Planning to use this for every shave for the time being. Not familiar/haven't tried YTAS. Still getting my education.

My favorite razor. under $10!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Threads like this one is why a newbie like me explores old threads.... Thank you so much for clueing me in to this product. I have a very nice shave balm I was using..... but the Neutrogena beats it hands down. I was a bit surprised, I have to tell you.

I've been using it now since it was delivered to my door on March 25th. It's about twice as expensive as the stuff I was using... but I am using less than half the amount to get a nice coating on my face, so it's a wash.

So glad you like it!!

If you are able to, please leave a more detailed review once you are able to get a better sense of it. I feel that this stuff, and the YTAS, are incredible products that fly under the radar!!
OK so I have been using this NHB gel since 3/22 on my every-other-day shaves and although a noob to wet shaving for just a few months there is nothing I've tried that compares. I've used the tonsorial products, CeraVe, Nivea, etc. This NHB is a different animal. If there are equally performing products I'm not aware. As far as ingredients I am fairly bullet-proof so am not too bothered by these chemicals. If there happens to be any dermatologists reading that have suggestions as to equally performing products i would be interested to hear. Thanks again @CzechCzar for the great tip!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Two things after a lengthy trial:

1. I don’t notice it while using it, but my skin is so much easier to irritate when I don’t use it. After I went from invincible to easily vinced, it went back on

2. If I out it on thin enough (mostly water), my other HA-containing stuff no longer makes gravy.

Threads like this one is why a newbie like me explores old threads.... Thank you so much for clueing me in to this product. I have a very nice shave balm I was using..... but the Neutrogena beats it hands down. I was a bit surprised, I have to tell you.

I've been using it now since it was delivered to my door on March 25th. It's about twice as expensive as the stuff I was using... but I am using less than half the amount to get a nice coating on my face, so it's a wash.

OK so I have been using this NHB gel since 3/22 on my every-other-day shaves and although a noob to wet shaving for just a few months there is nothing I've tried that compares. I've used the tonsorial products, CeraVe, Nivea, etc. This NHB is a different animal. If there are equally performing products I'm not aware. As far as ingredients I am fairly bullet-proof so am not too bothered by these chemicals. If there happens to be any dermatologists reading that have suggestions as to equally performing products i would be interested to hear. Thanks again @CzechCzar for the great tip!
So so happy that you all are liking it! Maybe I will finally be able to get this into the wetshaving mainstream. Thank you all!

As for being a newbie, don't worry about it. You have found the grail of wetshaving balms.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For about a year now, I have been quite happy with the quality of my shaves. I have found some incredible razors and creams. In terms of aftershave balm, I had a couple of finalists. All worked quite well. I honestly wasn't even sure I could detect a real difference between them.

My finalists so far were Hawkins & Brimble and Nancy Boy. These function, as best as I can tell, nearly identically. They are both really, really good. They dethroned B&M balm as my favorite, which is quite an achievement.

The one complaint I have had over the past week or two is that because of the hot weather, I sweat underneath the balm after I put it on. Not really a huge deal. But, annoying. There was some marginal room for improvement. But, where? I have already tried the best in class balms: Zingari Man, Wholly Kaw, etc. I didn't really know how I could improve.

Shopping at Costco, I saw Neuetrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream. I read somewhere that it could be used as an ASB, although I completely forget where. I purchased it on a whim.

Man, this stuff is revolutionary. It truly is a hybrid gel / cream. It has the consistency of a cream, but absorbs super fast like a gel, and leaves zero "film" feeling on the face. It contains hyaluroinic acid, which is one of the things that originally attracted me to B&M balm. But the performance of this is off the charts better than anything I have ever tried.

The best way I can describe this is that, 10 minutes after applying, I can't even tell I shaved. Yes, my face is BBS, but it feels refreshed, like I haven't even dragged a razor over it. I use really aggressive razors too.

Overall this may be the best aftershave product of any type I have ever used. And it's cheap, and made by a reputable brand!

I strongly recommend you all go buy this immediately!!
I've already thanked you... but I want to thank you again. I'm so glad I didn't have to try a bunch of balms to find something this good. I don't know what else to say except consider me in your debt.

And I thought what I was using was excellent.. having no frame of reference.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

I've already thanked you... but I want to thank you again. I'm so glad I didn't have to try a bunch of balms to find something this good. I don't know what else to say except consider me in your debt.

And I thought what I was using was excellent.. having no frame of reference.
No need to thank me, I am just glad that others are having such a great experience with it.

I'll tell you what you could do! After a couple of years have passed and you get a bit of experience under your belt, share what works best with the forum. If it's something surprising or unusual, chances are good that someone else will benefit.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
No need to thank me, I am just glad that others are having such a great experience with it.

I'll tell you what you could do! After a couple of years have passed and you get a bit of experience under your belt, share what works best with the forum. If it's something surprising or unusual, chances are good that someone else will benefit.
Will do...

I have used one and a half jars of HB and I still think it's great. Thing is, I abandoned HB in favor of Grooming Dept Hydrating Gel. They both perform the same so the only real reason I switched is I like supporting the small guy who makes excellent products. Johnson & Johnson doesn't need my support to continue staying in business.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have used one and a half jars of HB and I still think it's great. Thing is, I abandoned HB in favor of Grooming Dept Hydrating Gel. They both perform the same so the only real reason I switched is I like supporting the small guy who makes excellent products. Johnson & Johnson doesn't need my support to continue staying in business.
Thanks. I just ordered some to try. I hope it’s as good for me as it is for you. The ingredients look similar.

For those who like the water gel, it looks like Amazon pricing right now gets to about $32 for 3 jars (with a buy 2 get 1 promo, and subscribe & save discount which can obviously be canceled). I'm not really sure what these should be selling for nowadays but I noticed it on Slickdeals...

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
For those who like the water gel, it looks like Amazon pricing right now gets to about $32 for 3 jars (with a buy 2 get 1 promo, and subscribe & save discount which can obviously be canceled). I'm not really sure what these should be selling for nowadays but I noticed it on Slickdeals...
Many, many thanks for bringing this up. The unscented one for extra dry skin was also buy 2 get 1 free!!

Many, many thanks for bringing this up. The unscented one for extra dry skin was also buy 2 get 1 free!!
Is that this one? I just noticed from the product comparison that the water gel from the link I posted is scented, which I didn’t realize (and probably wouldn’t want).

1655999938061.png

Got back from camping 3 days
shower shave with a bit of more sun than usual decided to use some Fine A Platinum splash since the touch of menthol could be cooling and followed up with the Neutrogena and yeah my face feels so good

Top Bottom