What's new

New best-in-class: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream - an absolute game changer

As stated above I was quite impressed how silky smooth my face felt right after applying the fragrance free HB cream pictured. I used the cream frequently and liked it.

However, my enthusiasm diminished when I looked into the ingredients more in detail.

The apparent reason for the soft or smooth feeling of the face is - unfortunately - silicone and silicone compounds (dimethicone, dimethicone crosspolymer). Dimethicone is in fact on position no 2 of the ingredients list. So it has the second largest share in the composition of the cream.

I then contacted the manufacturer, whether from their point of view this cream should be applied after shaving on the freshly shaved areas or rather not. The german customer service has answered this as follows:

QUOTE:
(...)
Our Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Aqua Cream has an intensive moisturizing focus. In principle, it is suitable for dry skin, provided that the skin is intact and healthy. Freshly shaved facial areas do not meet this requirement.

Please note that our Neutrogena® Hydro Boost products have not been developed or tested for this application.

For this reason, we cannot make any recommendation in this regard.
END OF QUOTE

I'd say this is a diplomatic but surprisingly clear statement. Kudos to the manufacturer for this "straight to the point" reply.

I won't continue to use this cream as a post shave product and stick with regular balms instead.

Feel free to make your own decision, but I thought it is worth to share the information with you.

Happy shaves!
From my brief experience so far? It makes ZERO difference to use this post shave or before/later in the day. It's fine as an aftershave regardless of what the German CS said. I think it's an excellent aftershave compared to so many of the creams out there. Is it better than GFT skin food or T&H ahtershave balms? Give me another week and I'll have a more solid opinion.

Anyone have an idea what the shelf life of this product is? I couldn't find any obvious date codes. A little goes a long way so the 4 jars I just acquired should last for some time. Still, if it has an open ended shelf life, I might pick up one more 2-pack on my next Costco run.

Anyone have an idea what the shelf life of this product is? I couldn't find any obvious date codes. A little goes a long way so the 4 jars I just acquired should last for some time. Still, if it has an open ended shelf life, I might pick up one more 2-pack on my next Costco run.
here is what I know :)
I was curious and looked into it before and in their FAQ

they do not have an expiry date and if it needed one it would be clearly marked (or something to those words)

same as you keep thinking get some more to make sure it lasts I tend to get 2-3 months out of a jar I also use it on my forehead area and other parts of my face nose edge under eyes my wife gets longer out of a jar as its just under her eyes a small bit

last year it was on sale at costco in Sep this year Aug of course so does seem to be a yearly thing with them and I did look for it throughout the year and they did not carry it in any of the stores asking the usual often times its a seasonal thing that they bring in for a buying season and when its out they will restock that next season ?

haahahahahah I feel like I should be a Neutrogena rep or something :) but I am not of course

From my brief experience so far? It makes ZERO difference to use this post shave or before/later in the day. It's fine as an aftershave regardless of what the German CS said. I think it's an excellent aftershave compared to so many of the creams out there. Is it better than GFT skin food or T&H ahtershave balms? Give me another week and I'll have a more solid opinion.
agree :)
think its like how one spreads something on food or eating food a certain way etc... :) those odd things folks do a certain way just because :)

I do think Neutrogena for me (important part for me) is better than anything else I have tried
Neutrogena just absorbs so well and I can use it near my eyes and use it with any AS Splash I want and it becomes a top performing option or just on its own :)

the last thing I want to try for post care is Ethos skin food splash coming in on Mon but at 3x the cost ? I do think its important to try everything you are curious about though then you never have doubts :)

Anyone tried the 16oz version?
40EAC86F-31AE-45E7-867D-78AE04C59EE8.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Anyone tried the 16oz version?View attachment 1500546
You can get it in the fragrance free bottle also so it does not interfere with Aftershaves or colognes scents.
I use the CeraVe moisturizing lotion 16 OZ with Hyaluronic acid with 3 Ceramides and that is a nice balm also after the shave. Best one so far but I have been wanting to try the Neutrogena down the road and was looking over the Fragrance free 16 OZ bottle also.

Last edited:
WOW did not know about that

I am using cerave for body and loving it thanks to so many mentions here :) and have so much of it ? Hmmmmm do I dare try it if I like it what to do with the cerave :)

but might be worth the try if it works for my face the same and wont burn the eye its cheap per oz

Did read a couple things that said not for face can clog pours and might cause issues ? fear marketing or truth :) no idea some reviews said using on face though :) only thing would be is how good it disappears if its the same as the face stuff

Ulta near me has the unscented they say ? Hmmmmmmmmm

Might have to look at it next time at target or walmart but yeah the scent for sure would most likely strike it from me

Last edited:

Ron R

Just bought a jug of this Neutrogena body lotion with Hyaluronic acid because my CeraVe is running very low, I will give it a fair chance against my CeraVe lotion. It seems lots of retailers have it on sale at the moment and I bought mine at our local Walmart for $8.77 Can.
It is going to be hard to de-seat CeraVe from best balm lotion I have used but you never know. I will know with in 2 applications how it holds up because CeraVe indicated to me on first use against my Nivea balm I used for years. I applied some already to my arms and hands and it seemed a little sticky where I applied it to my hands abundantly but is quickly is dissipating. So far ok in that small test. I also applied some aftershave mid arm this morning (9 hrs ago) and then applied this Neutrogena boost over that area and it still allows the scent of my aftershave to be still enjoyed. Passes that small test also.
CeraVe on my face is a winner and this might be very good for winter use also where it is very dry here at that time of the year. Time will tell on usage and how it performs. I will let you know of course!:thumbup:
Neautrogena lotion.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I just wanted to thank CzechCzar for telling us about this product and, as it has no apparent expiration date, will add another 2-pack when I head to Costco again later this week to the four jars I bought the other day. This is some good stuff which I like better than any other non-specific shaving aftershave products I've tried over the years. Thank you, CC for starting this thread!!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I just wanted to thank CzechCzar for telling us about this product and, as it has no apparent expiration date, will add another 2-pack when I head to Costco again later this week to the four jars I bought the other day. This is some good stuff which I like better than any other non-specific shaving aftershave products I've tried over the years. Thank you, CC for starting this thread!!
My honest pleasure to help you all. I was resigned to never finding a balm that ticked all the boxes until I found this. So happy that your experiences were like mine!

Ron R

MMMonday, August 8th 2022. I used the Neutrogena Hydro boost this morning for my face balm. I noticed this moisturizer sure absorbs (or dries quickly) and applied another dollop almond size to make sure my face area is covered properly. Then applied some aftershave out of my normal post shave sequence application and noticed it reactivated the lotion a little and so that was a little different feeling. The Neutrogena after about 1 hr was feeling close to my CeraVe moisturizer lotion but not quite as good IMO.
Tomorrow I will stay in morning shave routine and will give it another whirl. Neutrogena Hydro boost does work as a balm and other areas of the body where as needed. It costs less than my CeraVe moisturizing lotion but I use more so that will balance out no doubt. So far the CeraVe is slightly better when applying and net effect for a similar lotion IMO. Neutrogena is a good moisturizer so far. Tomorrow I will stay in my regular shave post shave routine and apply it slightly different for improved effect possibly. (I enjoy testing if you know me!)

Razor : Micromatic open comb button-less- Mfg 1930-32, excellent mid>upper mid range depending on experience, well built and designed for that time era, it was the first mass produced TTO razor world wide. The button-less model was before the newer Micromatic open comb models 1932-41 that held the double edge blades and used button shims to mock the spine blades.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) Very sharp with excellent longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier- nice scented soap with excellent lather qualities. Has a slight lemon look and scent works for me.
Brush : Yaqi Goblin 24mm synthetic- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Yaqi Musketeer aftershave + a dollop of Neutrogena hydro boost moisturizing lotion(scentless)testing).
Results :9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my MMOC buttonless with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD August 8 2022.jpg

Have a some great shaves.

I tend to use a size of pea or something tiny with it :) might be worth trying less and really having to rub it in to nothingness :)
Not saying it will be better for you :) more just been using it a year and for sure this is a less is more and when I tried more it kinda hit this my skin has absorbed all it can quickly

I think my reason for over the splash might be a bit of I can use such a small amount and the wet face of the splash helps carry it all over smoothly

again for sure not saying this is correct just thinking out loud

my NHG body jar comes in today :) I do love Cerave body lotion will be fun to see how it compares
the one thing is I have two large tubs of body since I got it at costco :) hahahahaha might be never buy more moisturizer for life ! AZ winters are so drying though ! OH I miss the islands :)

also want to say Cerave was something I learned about on this forum as well and blew away my older stuff I was using (lubriderm)

I can say the face wash of Cerave is as game changing to my face as Neutrogena HG is to my post shave routing and face the two working together have been phenomenal

never thought I would be a person to care as most my life it was teaching scuba soak for 45 min 2x a day and use boat water to rinse off and if I got dirty working on the boat Dawn dish soap did a fine job and my only beauty product was OldSpice classic pit stick :) ironically I got complements all the time

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I tend to use a size of pea or something tiny with it :) might be worth trying less and really having to rub it in to nothingness :)
Not saying it will be better for you :) more just been using it a year and for sure this is a less is more and when I tried more it kinda hit this my skin has absorbed all it can quickly

I think my reason for over the splash might be a bit of I can use such a small amount and the wet face of the splash helps carry it all over smoothly

again for sure not saying this is correct just thinking out loud

my NHG body jar comes in today :) I do love Cerave body lotion will be fun to see how it compares
the one thing is I have two large tubs of body since I got it at costco :) hahahahaha might be never buy more moisturizer for life ! AZ winters are so drying though ! OH I miss the islands :)

also want to say Cerave was something I learned about on this forum as well and blew away my older stuff I was using (lubriderm)

I can say the face wash of Cerave is as game changing to my face as Neutrogena HG is to my post shave routing and face the two working together have been phenomenal

never thought I would be a person to care as most my life it was teaching scuba soak for 45 min 2x a day and use boat water to rinse off and if I got dirty working on the boat Dawn dish soap did a fine job and my only beauty product was OldSpice classic pit stick :) ironically I got complements all the time
My dermatologist recommended CeraVe and Cetaphil products.... I asked her about Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream and she said, oh.. we love that around here. I have a full set of both CeraVe and Cetaphil: face wash, body wash and moisturizer. They seem pretty equal though I think I prefer the Cetaphil face wash a bit better.

My wife loves the moisturizers for her body. We both use the Neutrogena Hydro Boost for our faces. It's a great product. Neither of us have used either the CeraVe or Cetaphil on our faces so I can't comment on that. I'll have to give them a try.

My dermatologist recommended CeraVe and Cetaphil products.... I asked her about Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream and she said, oh.. we love that around here. I have a full set of both CeraVe and Cetaphil: face wash, body wash and moisturizer. They seem pretty equal though I think I prefer the Cetaphil face wash a bit better.

My wife loves the moisturizers for her body. We both use the Neutrogena Hydro Boost for our faces. It's a great product. Neither of us have used either the CeraVe or Cetaphil on our faces so I can't comment on that. I'll have to give them a try.
so for your faces are you using the neutrogena body one(that just came up) or the face one we have all been talking about ? to many hydro gel products :) ahahhaah

Seemes cetaphil and cerave are close in how they work feel for the face wash etc...as I did try that one forgot why I quit ? kinda reminded me of the no eye burn is anything happening sensation of cerave (which is a pro) and think my wife had the cream lotion as I remember ?

I might have to look into the body wash so thanks for saying that made me slap my head think WHY did NOT think for body before :) hahahahahaah

as current I am using nivea or dove and both are not the best ? But better than old spice as that stuff is drying but I do love that smell of old spice !

I am trying some soap bars for fun one from stirling but was drying big time got one from SV have to use it this week !
with how good the face wash is for cerave I use might check if they have a body at costco or target etc.

I do think the cerave face soap out of the pump is my best ever with no dryness kinda in that check box as that is my thing now :)
If I use it before shaving I get more burn (not burn but way more feel) with my splash though ? Not sure why but easily repeatable so just tend to wash the night before my thoughts are shaving and all that soap is a super deep clean anyway :) so no need for morning wash

My Neutrogena body hyrdo gel reckon I will do the one side face one side body till I know :)

I do think sometimes face product is best for face though (for me at least)
like the cerave body lotion does not work on my face at all but works wonders on my arms ?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
so for your faces are you using the neutrogena body one(that just came up) or the face one we have all been talking about ? to many hydro gel products :) ahahhaah

Seemes cetaphil and cerave are close in how they work feel for the face wash etc...as I did try that one forgot why I quit ? kinda reminded me of the no eye burn is anything happening sensation of cerave (which is a pro) and think my wife had the cream lotion as I remember ?

I might have to look into the body wash so thanks for saying that made me slap my head think WHY did NOT think for body before :) hahahahahaah

as current I am using nivea or dove and both are not the best ? But better than old spice as that stuff is drying but I do love that smell of old spice !

I am trying some soap bars for fun one from stirling but was drying big time got one from SV have to use it this week !
with how good the face wash is for cerave I use might check if they have a body at costco or target etc.

I do think the cerave face soap out of the pump is my best ever with no dryness kinda in that check box as that is my thing now :)
If I use it before shaving I get more burn (not burn but way more feel) with my splash though ? Not sure why but easily repeatable so just tend to wash the night before my thoughts are shaving and all that soap is a super deep clean anyway :) so no need for morning wash

My Neutrogena body hyrdo gel reckon I will do the one side face one side body till I know :)

I do think sometimes face product is best for face though (for me at least)
like the cerave body lotion does not work on my face at all but works wonders on my arms ?
Sorry, I should have been more specific. We've both been using the Hydro Boost Gel-Cream face moisturizer for several months now. And I had some great after shave balms but they are under the sink now. I have a door hanging shelf unit on the back of the bathroom door. Everything I use fits there, I need to do a follow photo: when I first got here and now. The shelving unit isn't totally full but it's ummmmm getting there.

I do have my favorite SV brushes on the vanity top now and rotate them. I also have the few razors I have on display. They look nice there. <eg>

The Neutrogena is so good, we haven't even tried the other moisturizers on our faces. My wife has been using both of the other moisturizers on her legs and body.... she was really having dry skin problems and when she uses either one, her legs are fantastic... the dry skin, that is...... but she's also blessed with nice legs.

ahhh thanks
yeah repeating myself but when I got it the neutrogena the wife took a jar I mean HEY there were two of them :) hahaahhah
its her fav things now for her eyes she says
but yeah again beating that dead horse this stuff is magic for me and some others here :)

I am trying to use up my balms but then I think they are just nivea fairly inexpensive just get on with the stuff I truly love !!!!
not sure if others go through that or not :)

also my cerave body is a cream not a lotion :) OH guess that to us is like triple milled or cream :) ahahhahahah

OHHH one day will have me a SV brush to go with my soaps the turtle color pewter brand is calling me I can hear him from here :)

I am more a minimalist guy but do like making sure which is a odd balance so I am feeling close to narrowing down this shave stuff and face stuff

I am kinda leaning toward getting into cologne/perfume whatever ya call it which blows my wife away cause again that was never me before :) and since the AS goes away so quick just use a few I like or just the NHG and then put the $ into quality scents I really love

Top Bottom