What's new

Need Gun Advice!

Hi again Axeman;

Some more thoughts and personal opinion.

"I like high capacity semi automatics"

There's the key, right there! You like 'em, it's a free country, and you can own what you like. Rifles are a great hobby in themselves, even within the bigger tent of all things connected with the shooting sports. And rifles can be done in so many different ways.

"The dot alone on the Aimpoint Micro for the Saiga is 4MOA."

I didn't realize that they covered that much target but I confess to being unfamiliar with that type of sight. Still, you will shoot a much tighter group than 4 MOA with a good rifle even while using that sight. The dot is an aiming reference.

My AR 15 still wears the factory sights it came with, an aperture rear sight with a front post. That front post looks huge when superimposed over a target 100 yards away and probably covers 4 inches of it. From the bench rest though the rifle will shoot 1 1/2-inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards with good ammunition. Feed it Sierra's 52 grain match bullet in a good handload and it can do 1 1/4-inches if I'm in a good shooting humor, something that can't be guaranteed on any given day.

The dot sight will be superior to the sights on my rifle because the dot sight places the aiming reference and the target on the same focal plane.

"I have actually decided on both these specific designs for too many reasons to list but primarily because of their intended use."

Do you feel you could do well with a good AR 15 and your chosen sighting equipment and get to know it over several range outings? It might be surprising what the rifle can do, even before all the customization commences.

"The dual stage trigger would help my accuracy..."

Yes, and that might be the most important single improvement you can make to a new rifle, even more so than the type of sights. I'm a nut over a good trigger. Which is odd because I have the most boring AR 15. It'd dead stock and even the trigger has never been reworked or upgraded. I don't care for its trigger pull but it's manageable. I've just never gotten around to doing anything about the trigger pull as I should. Perhaps I don't take the rifle seriously enough.

That Siaga is an Kalashnikov-based design if I'm recalling correctly. I've never owned any variant of an AK but have heard glowing things about their reliability and have shot others' rifles on occasion. The AR 15 is a more refined design, if a bit odd with it's direct impingement gas system. It's only my opinion that it's odd but it does seem"foul the works" more than other designs. Still, it's been with us for 50 years now so must be considered to have proven itself.

I'm not the best for recommendations of the latest and greatest guns and gear. I mostly admire firearms designs that are even older than I am being more into blue steel and walnut than current firearms manufacturers' offerings. That's why this shaving with vintage safety razors has an appeal to me.

I'm not so old that I find the thought of straight-razor shaving appealing though. I view shaving with a straight razor much as I view the muzzle loading enthusiasts of the shooting hobby; more power to 'em but it's just a little more primitive than I care to experience.

You might want to get yourself a couple of class 3.. There's nothing like a belt fed 50 or even a light belt fed 30 when you are in a tight spot. Don't ask me how I know as I don't want to get this thread locked for you.

Our son is a 0331 machinegunner in the U.S.M.C. That's one way to get to play with full-auto but OOOooo... it's tough. He's run all sorts but likes the M240 best of all.

Hey Noelekal,

Well said on all your points, thanks again for the input.

I thought it was funny that you mentioned your fondness of the classic rifles of days gone by, and shaving with Vintage safety razors.

I'm all about the High Capacity, latest and greatest semi's of today, but wouldn't you know I like straight razors, Japanese style at that! :lol1:

I guess now you get my Avatar name and pic too! That's me every morning just before I start hacking away at my face. It sure is fun though...

I guess I needed a little danger in my life...

Thought you might get a kick out of that.

Oh, and good on your son for serving our country. :thumbup1:

Nothing says authority like a good M60! I smoked a few of those barrels. Humping one wears on a road march though. I forgot to mention I really like the Bravo
Company Billet charging handle. All of mine had/have them including my duty Ar. If your worried about lubrication that can be an excuse for the Spikes bolt and Trigger Combo with the nickel Boron coating. Not a necessity, but they are sweet . I use one for my Tack Driver set up. Most Weapons I have been issued and owned didn't require a lot of lubrication to keep em
running. Just a quick wipe on and even lighter wipe off. My last duty Ar did require to be run wetter then any other one I have ever been issued or owned. It was also manufactured during the Obama gun scare and it was a rough gun. Enough so I was replacing stuff on my own before hand. Quality control had went out the door. We had several malfunction etc have thing I have never seen break break.
If your really worried about malfunctions, the mid length to rifle length gas operating systems compared to the carbine system are supposed to be more reliable, easier on the gun/parts and recoil. I have used all three putting
lots of bullets down range without ever having an issue (Colts, Armalites, bushmasters and build with Spikes, Bravo company and one cheapy DSArms build). If it be a Spikes or Bravo company I wouldn't be worried bout it because they are well built.

I thought a while back primaryarms.com offered some new mounting solutions for Sagas and Ak's. Keep in mind I don't own either so could be same thing you had shown. I just know Marshall was starting to make some more options avilable and remember those guns getting mentioned. I bought one of his mounts and cheap m4 optic clones for my cheap build. For the money it's way beyond its price level. Its not an Aimpoint nor is it claimed to be. But I didn't need another $600.00 sight. So if you look at his web sight remember while he sells good stuff some of it will be clearly stated not for combat use or duty because its made for plinking not saving ones
posterior. I suspect theyd outperform some weapons grade but I wouldn't stake my life on that claim.

"I guess now you get my Avatar name and pic too."

Hey, I thought the dude in the photo was just a picture of me on a bad shave day.

Of those two, definitely get the AR. The parts availability and sheer pervasiveness of this platform will be a significant asset in a SHTF situation. However, for the money you're looking at, I would recommend a Bravo Company or Noveske rig.

Top Bottom