What's new

Mystery hones... Let's see what you have

So this is up in the ark and washita but hopefully someone here will know. This stone was glued to to the top of a beaded box that had a washita in it with a pike soft ark label. I thought it could be a strop top at first. It kinda looks synthetic and it's pretty coarse, coarser than the Washita by far. It's black, it's got inclusions that run from plane to plane, and it looks kinda like it's sandstone and got mica sparkles through it. Feedback feels like the rough side of a queer creek but a little bit grittier.
even with spine leading strokes it feels like a gravel road . It's between 1/16"-1/4" inch thick. I have a piece of flagstone I lapped that is fine but if feels/looks similar. I don't know but I figured the think tank in it's exhausted experience would have the ticket.

View attachment 1334480
View attachment 1334477

This is the lapped flagstone
View attachment 1334478

Is that picture all cleaned up? In which case - it does look synthetic. But could be some kind of very coarse schist. How does it lap / slurry...?

No need at all to buy another 220 when you've got that stone :).

I use SiC Coarse and Fines for repair work on really quite smart knives all the time. They're excellent; eat steel, very hard wearing, and just generally good at what they're for. You can also, with a bit of a knack work them quite fine.

EDIT - I just went and thinned and put an edge on a knife to show. It's not's necessarily easy to do this, but they're still a lot more versatile than people think... (and only stropped on the sleeve of my t-shirt!)

Let me clarify and say I use *fine* SiC stones to refresh the surface(or burnish depending on the stone) of stones. And those india stones newbies get thinking they are black arks are also amazing for this especially for really fine stones. The orange ones are better than the peach colored ones for this(I guess medium is orange and peach is fine. Never bought a new one but I like them better than my cheap Chinese waterstones for razors honestly). I've yet to get a mystery stone that wasn't awesome for something. Maybe I'm just ready to please...(pro tip: I'm not at all, ask my wife. It's why she just tells me to shut up. She probably right )

Is that picture all cleaned up? In which case - it does look synthetic. But could be some kind of very coarse schist. How does it lap / slurry...?
It's degreased but I haven't lapped it. I thought it was leather because of the oil on it. I'm kinda reluctant to lap it because it's got inclusions that go all the way through in 2 places but when it came off the lid it was a single piece. Schist was a thought but I thought they were usually finer? I dunno, it perked a knife up quick honing or stropping on it. I don't know brother. I'll find some use for it I'm sure. Waste not, want not and all that. I'd put this guy at about a 1-2k but gritty.

It's degreased but I haven't lapped it. I thought it was leather because of the oil on it. I'm kinda reluctant to lap it because it's got inclusions that go all the way through in 2 places but when it came off the lid it was a single piece. Schist was a thought but I thought they were usually finer? I dunno, it perked a knife up quick honing or stropping on it. I don't know brother. I'll find some use for it I'm sure. Waste not, want not and all that. I'd put this guy at about a 1-2k but gritty.

That'd certainly be at the lower end of schist sharpening stones (ime), but not unheard of I don't think. Sounds like a useful thing to have on top anyway, for sorting a blade out before going onto the Wahsita :).

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A mystery stone, cut at 150x30 mm. Very fine under blade. Feedback feels just like a soft Escher but this is much harder. Maybe a later Thuri or a funky German stone. Interesting Little Rock

1DC4CA3E-9D28-46EB-A642-01F3F9BC4727.jpeg
9D983193-4211-4917-808D-32C81F56322D.jpeg
21C613E0-57B8-45B0-A959-55DF97956023.jpeg
36ECFED3-DC64-4366-A2B5-3C180F3FABA8.jpeg
53A57F4B-92E0-4AD7-B123-02D6770F375A.jpeg
2983F669-038A-40AD-9051-F7EF614C38CE.jpeg

Appreciate if anyone has ideas what this hones could be.
Could the purple be a Wales slate?
Last 2 pictures with a small thuri above.
IMG_1799.JPGIMG_1804.JPGIMG_1805.JPGIMG_1815.JPGIMG_1820.JPGIMG_1824.JPGIMG_1829.JPGIMG_1830.JPGIMG_1838.JPGIMG_1850.JPG

Last edited:
If it's cutting very fast, then I'd have thought more likely to be synthetic... schists are not that quick at all.
Looks like my old la lune. Saw marks are good clue.

If it's cutting very fast, then I'd have thought more likely to be synthetic... schists are not that quick at all.
So when the stone come off the lid I saw what looked like a slip of paper tape and I didn't think much about it brushed it aside with a pile of stones and forgot about it. Saw it again this afternoon and it's a label. I think you're probably right on it being a synth. Hopefully someone will recognize it. Though I don't really like the stone, I glued it back to where it was for history's sake but im sure some blade likes it. I think it was probably used with spine leading strokes on a razor for rough cutting then edge leading on the Washita, finish with spine leading on the Washita, it's pretty fine

20210926_151432.jpg.

So when the stone come off the lid I saw what looked like a slip of paper tape and I didn't think much about it brushed it aside with a pile of stones and forgot about it. Saw it again this afternoon and it's a label. I think you're probably right on it being a synth. Hopefully someone will recognize it. Though I don't really like the stone, I glued it back to where it was for history's sake but im sure some blade likes it. I think it was probably used with spine leading strokes on a razor for rough cutting then edge leading on the Washita, finish with spine leading on the Washita, it's pretty fine

View attachment 1334905.

Interesting! The two big synth manufacturers in the UK afaik were both subsidiaries of US companies; Carborundum Co. in Manchester, and Norton Abrasives in Welwyn Garden City. Which might help if you want to try to find out about it. (Both are in England, even though Welwyn sounds pretty Welsh!).

Though I'm sure there were/are others too.

Interesting! The two big synth manufacturers in the UK afaik were both subsidiaries of US companies; Carborundum Co. in Manchester, and Norton Abrasives in Welwyn Garden City. Which might help if you want to try to find out about it. (Both are in England, even though Welwyn sounds pretty Welsh!).

Though I'm sure there were/are others too.
Great info, thanks!

Don't know what the yellow one is.

It looks like Welsh slate, Thuri(yellow green/ blue), Thuri( late era), last one not sure but thinking Swende(thin one).

Stefan, green stone looks like possibly a two tone thuri someone lapped on all sides with a big dish on the B/G side to me.

Left most with the sawmarks and orb... french? I've heard lunes can have those orbs, and sawmarks are about right.

Thanks all for chime in about the hones. :001_smile

,@Toro Blanco What is a svende? schwedenstein? It looks like one in USB-microscope.

The purple is hard to lap.
The 2 small almost parallel curves and doodle close feels very toxix after lapping. The kind of lines
that the diamond partly just gides over and doesn't lap down to the current level. I will spend some time to see if it's a pre- or finisher for me.
IMG_1871.JPG

The possible "Thuri( late era)" gives an edge like my small good wood boxed thuri. So guess that's likely correct.

Haven't tested the possible "two tuned thuri" yet.

The small that looks like a synth has the text extafein and no4. Will probably be used as a cleaning stone. It's actually very hard to lap.

Top Bottom