What's new

Mystery hones... Let's see what you have

Well, before posting the mystery here, I had gone hunting through Henk's pdfs and found the picture below. Henk called it 'dark blue' but his stone looked greyish black. The speckles were pretty similar.

Hopefully, someone who really knows the scotch hones will chime in. Or maybe the buyer is a member and will give us a clue and a couple of nice pictures.

View attachment 1326435

The stone as shown on eBay does not strike me as a Water of Ayr stone. The Ayrshire stones have a light-to medium-blue, comet-like streaking that is very slightly buried in the darker blue matrix. The one as shown on eBay and even Henk Bros's example as shown directly above are both whiter and rounder as to the streaking and more directly on the surface.

Are you asking if the stone you linked in an auction is ayr stone?

In a secondary fashion, yes.

Primary question is 'what is it'? I'm with you - the pictures are horrible, and I at one time I thought someone dripped paint on a BBW. I've never seen or heard someone speak of a naturally speckled BBW, but I realize my knowledge is limited.

The stone as shown on eBay does not strike me as a Water of Ayr stone. The Ayrshire stones have a light-to medium-blue, comet-like streaking that is very slightly buried in the darker blue matrix. The one as shown on eBay and even Henk Bros's example as shown directly above are both whiter and rounder as to the streaking and more directly on the surface.

I was grasping at straws. Water of Ayr was the ONLY thing that came close to matching the seller's photos and written description.

Those are sickle stone's to sharpen sickle blades. Usually coarse to medium coarse.

You know the one the Grim reaper carry's on his way to take peoples souls to hell. Lol!
I figured, but I'd like to know what the long one is made of because it looks crazy, I'll try to get some better pictures tonight.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Picked another out of my mystery stone box. 9 x 2 1/4 x 5/8 and feels to be a sandstone in the 1-2K range. I am guessing a Dalmore Blue, but never having one need the option of the brain trust

241115DF-BD8F-4A6A-A2D3-1D7C8F196141.jpeg
8B164D10-17B2-4619-BF15-6ED4132CDE20.jpeg
3A515DC1-3553-4E15-AAF7-191AA26BCBE8.jpeg
88196310-21B0-4AAD-B218-6909325FA47E.jpeg
BD830D82-8186-4493-B978-EFFEA45A7B68.jpeg

If it sparkles that is A Dalmore for sure.

I have two, one with swirls like yours. One without, that was a pita to identify. Until I got the one with swirls and it was clear as day they were the same material.

Niel Miller confirmed that it was a Dalmer too. I wish I would have purchased a strop from him when I had a chance. Still bothers me to this day!

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
If it sparkles that is A Dalmore for sure.

I have two, one with swirls like yours. One without, that was a pita to identify. Until I got the one with swirls and it was clear as day they were the same material.

Niel Miller confirmed that it was a Dalmer too. I wish I would have purchased a strop from him when I had a chance. Still bothers me to this day!
Thanks for conformation. It was unrecognizable before I cleaned it up. As soon as it came out of the dip, knew what it was

My Neil Miller Horween Shell Strop is one of my “lucky to own” possession. Only use on special shaves

9EAA417C-EACD-473E-A7AE-4761F58BDC80.jpeg
19A4D7D1-5304-4712-952C-DB832D1F082E.jpeg

Got this in a lot thinking it was just some junk 6x2" synth... Once I cleaned it up I'm thinking it might be a la Lorraine. Thoughts?

So things have finally settled down after my move and I can get back to shaving on a regular basis.

Just touched up a razor for tomorrows shave.

First go round with this hone I remember it was right around where my La Lorraine was... average coticule quality, but a little different. This time I'm taking a bit more care to be sure I max it out and we will see.

More pictures showing the color (pretty true on my monitor) and some of the patterning.
IMG_20210916_124946486.jpg
IMG_20210916_124859187.jpg

So things have finally settled down after my move and I can get back to shaving on a regular basis.

Just touched up a razor for tomorrows shave.

First go round with this hone I remember it was right around where my La Lorraine was... average coticule quality, but a little different. This time I'm taking a bit more care to be sure I max it out and we will see.

More pictures showing the color (pretty true on my monitor) and some of the patterning.View attachment 1329235View attachment 1329236
Beautiful! Kinda reminds me of bubble gum.

Most hindostan stones I've seen pictures of have layers that kinda look like wood grain. That's an awesome stone though, how fine is it?
If anything, this reminds me of a hindo-like stone I posted earlier in this thread with no banding but crazy swirling. The color is all different though. I need to put a knife to it. it's still stripping, it was insanely clogged... Like clogging the lapping plate with oil paste clogged...

The color seems all wrong as well. Most of my dice rolls have ended up thuris lately so a weird stone is nice to see.
That's pretty lucky. I keep getting washitas in my big mystery stones but that's cool because I use them a ton.

20210915_202357.jpg20210915_202000.jpg20210915_202007.jpg
20210915_201854.jpg
20210915_201858.jpg20210915_201850.jpg20210912_013451.jpg

I also got this one, which kinda looks like some cheap jnats I've been able to find pictures of but I don't know.

20210910_200016.jpg20210910_200057.jpg20210910_200105.jpg

If anything, this reminds me of a hindo-like stone I posted earlier in this thread with no banding but crazy swirling. The color is all different though. I need to put a knife to it. it's still stripping, it was insanely clogged... Like clogging the lapping plate with oil paste clogged...
I ruined a diamond plate like that once

Top Bottom