What's new

Mystery hones... Let's see what you have

Thanks all for chime in about the hones. :001_smile

,@Toro Blanco What is a svende? schwedenstein? It looks like one in USB-microscope.

The purple is hard to lap.
The 2 small almost parallel curves and doodle close feels very toxix after lapping. The kind of lines
that the diamond partly just gides over and doesn't lap down to the current level. I will spend some time to see if it's a pre- or finisher for me.
View attachment 1335397

The possible "Thuri( late era)" gives an edge like my small good wood boxed thuri. So guess that's likely correct.

Haven't tested the possible "two tuned thuri" yet.

The small that looks like a synth has the text extafein and no4. Will probably be used as a cleaning stone. It's actually very hard to lap.
Yup Schwedenstein, between auto correct and going fast and not proof reading you tend to make mistakes.

Just like you;
I wrote swende not svende.
I'm sure you meant toxic not toxix.
Last would be two toned thuri not two tuned thuri.

It happens when you are busy. LOL!

Have put a few knives to this. It's actually a really nice stone for finishing a knife for kitchen use. Surprisingly good cutting power for how fine it is. It has a high draw, very fine feedback that is very tactile when it comes to communicating edge condition. I prefer it to any hindostan I have used just on the eagerness to cut, though if I have a criticism, it's softer than I would like but that is a personal preference thing.

Reactions: LJS
I had a yellow stone like that which I called a dalmore yellow for awhile (it wasn't one)... that was ballpark queer creek grit, but silky smooth like a thuri or pdso, not gritty at all, and covered in swirls. Was a really cool stone, but sadly was fairly thin by the time I got it, and like you said, a bit soft.

I need the experienced eyes of the forums what does this center stone look like to you guys? I know what I think it is(definitely down between 2 things) I though the color was off in the photo at first but I don't think so from looking at the $bill. I think it's 4 x 2-2.5.

Screenshot_20211006-125630_eBay.jpg

What do you guys think it is?

Oil soaked soft arkansas to my eyes
I thought that at first too, and im ok with that if so. Looks pretty green to me though, and I don't think the contrast is wonky. Supposed to be very smooth, soft arks are usually only glassy feeling if they are completely clogged. The cow/blue tick patterned ones anyway.

I thought that at first too, and im ok with that if so. Looks pretty green to me though, and I don't think the contrast is wonky. Supposed to be very smooth, soft arks are usually only glassy feeling if they are completely clogged. The cow/blue tick patterned ones anyway.

Yea, sellers mess around with the contrast settings like crazy to make the stones look better/different than in person. Ive been burned a few times now on photos taken in artificial setups with wacky contrast. I bought 4 rocks "my grandfather mined in Arkansas" a while back for only $10 + 15 shipping. None arkansas!

That one does have a greenish look in the photo which is odd for a soft ark, but the pattern makes me think it is one. And it would fit in with the other stones.

That stone looks alot like my Garrett Wade Medium, and your Garrett Wade Hard stone.

My speckled Medium (ignore the small translucent):

View attachment 1341117

If it's like that hard I got ill Be happy with it. I though it was a soft with messed up contrast but once I started looking at the dollar bill and the table it definition appeared to have a green color to it. I've been wrong a couple times but not too often. I though it kinda looks like this, but I don't have a clue. That's what makes playing mystery stone fun!
I'll put the original next to it because that's what got my wheels turning.

20210829_212222.jpgScreenshot_20211006-125630_eBay.jpg20210829_212132.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Found it among my whetstones. Not sure if it is a slurry stone, a rust eraser or something else?

It’s pretty small, maybe 2”x1”x1/2”

F3311E83-B508-430D-B1DF-E20B22EA7AD4.jpeg
504B8B7E-89A6-4880-A7B1-1C4F6E281032.jpeg

Thanks, so it doesn’t really make slurry, it just scrubs the surface?

It will make some slurry but I havent really noticed it being that useful, it is pretty soft. I have an Naniwa red 600 grit brick nagura/cleaning stone I use for waterstones under 2k to keep surface fresh/clean and semi chamfer edges. And I use that 8k nagura on my 2k and up waterstones. It really helps keeping my shaptons cutting well and cleans the grey swarf off well.

Top Bottom