What's new

Mystery hones... Let's see what you have

I have a sparkly stone that looks a bit like that.

Ditto - mine's a Finnish Wastikivi - the sparkly is mica. As I understand it; phyllites and schists are basically further metamorphic evolutions of what would have been slate. Which causes formations of larger particles and visible micas, one of the reasons these tend to be coarser stones than slates.

Legion

Staff member
Ditto - mine's a Finnish Wastikivi - the sparkly is mica. As I understand it; phyllites and schists are basically further metamorphic evolutions of what would have been slate. Which causes formations of larger particles and visible micas, one of the reasons these tend to be coarser stones than slates.
Mine is some sort of white synthetic oil or water stone on one side, and the sparkly thing on the other. I bought it because it looked like a coticule in the blurry listing. I soaked it in simple green when I got it, and it turned the white side green when it soaked it all up.

Mine is some sort of white synthetic oil or water stone on one side, and the sparkly thing on the other. I bought it because it looked like a coticule in the blurry listing. I soaked it in simple green when I got it, and it turned the white side green when it soaked it all up.

That sounds barmy (and interesting!), got any pics of it...?

Legion

Staff member
That sounds barmy (and interesting!), got any pics of it...?
In this thread...

In this thread...

That is interesting! It does look like a micaceous schist or phyllite, here's a vid of my Wastikivi. (You may need to change the settings to 1080 resolution from 360 to see properly).

The French Pierre de Pyrénées is also a really cool mica schist. Mica schist are common where I live and I find small irregular ones in my yard even. Ardennes used to sell the Pyrénées stones

I have a sparkly stone that looks a bit like that.
I got several in the mail today, they feel about a rough a a queer creek. i thought they were synthetic at first until I saw the layers and holographic effect. They look more black in person or its my bad eyes. They cone with another stone in pretty sure its cement. It looks like it was poured in a mold. I have no idea what these are, lapping should be interesting. There are 4 pieces.

20210909_202026.jpg20210909_202010.jpg20210909_201928.jpg20210909_202001.jpg

Attachments

• 20210909_201928.jpg
    20210909_201928.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 18
  • 20210909_202001.jpg
    20210909_202001.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 17
  • 20210909_202010.jpg
    20210909_202010.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 15
Oh damn. That stuff (or something that looks nearly identical) is used a TON in those oblong ~12" stones (like cigar hones, but not tapered). I've thrown SO MUCH of that into junk boxes.
I have no idea what it is, but it looks like itll sharpen a hoe. At first I thought it was carborundum but it's a natural stone im pretty certain.

Couple new rocks came in today, I have no idea what this one is. It's extremely dense, probably densest/heaviest stone I own. It's heavier than my 5.5x4.5" trans ark. It's got lines that degreaser does nothing to and its got pin holes on one side from gas escaping the stone. I tried to get them to show up in the picture. It's definitely natural, and extremely fine. I noticed a difference in the blade after 3 strokes and the knife was already extremely sharp, it was literally face shaving sharp but I cut open some boxes. The only thing I could think of this being is a jnat but I know nothing about them, and their huge variety. Don't know, cool stone, and I got it cheap. It'll be fun rubbing steel on it.

Couple new rocks came in today, I have no idea what this one is. It's extremely dense, probably densest/heaviest stone I own. It's heavier than my 5.5x4.5" trans ark. It's got lines that degreaser does nothing to and its got pin holes on one side from gas escaping the stone. I tried to get them to show up in the picture. It's definitely natural, and extremely fine. I noticed a difference in the blade after 3 strokes and the knife was already extremely sharp, it was literally face shaving sharp but I cut open some boxes. The only thing I could think of this being is a jnat but I know nothing about them, and their huge variety. Don't know, cool stone, and I got it cheap. It'll be fun rubbing steel on it.

20210910_200105.jpg20210910_200057.jpg20210910_200016.jpg20210910_200047.jpg20210910_200008.jpg

Finally, the auction on this stone is over. It looks red/purple in the photos and the seller describes it as dark blue. And then there's the speckles.

What is it?

I forgot to bid on that! I am curious too, has a real nice look to it!

Well, before posting the mystery here, I had gone hunting through Henk's pdfs and found the picture below. Henk called it 'dark blue' but his stone looked greyish black. The speckles were pretty similar.

Hopefully, someone who really knows the scotch hones will chime in. Or maybe the buyer is a member and will give us a clue and a couple of nice pictures.

1631361064210.png

Hopefully, someone who really knows the scotch hones will chime in. Or maybe the buyer is a member and will give us a clue and a couple of nice pictures.

Are you asking if the stone you linked in an auction is ayr stone? If so, then I strongly do not think so. Pics can be difficult to really identify from, but the auction you linked looks like a purple slate or maybe second guess a bbw. But not an ayr stone.

Reactions: Wid
Top Bottom