What's new

My wife lovingly thinks I'm nuts over my growing collection!! How about you?

It oughta be against the law that the edit function don't edit edits....

Think about THAT for a minute! And I didn't even edit that first sentence!

Doing local deliveries years ago, dispatch got on the radio asking for my location. After I told them, I heard: “<crackle crackle hiss…….>, “You copy?”

Without missing a beat, I grabbed the mic and said:”I copied your copy but I didn’t copy anything before you said copy, you copy my copy? Over.”

I was not allowed to talk on the radio after that.

My wife is almost entirely indifferent to my shaving and honing hobby, and how much I spend on it. I was as dumb as anyone else at my age when I got married, but I still had wisdom enough to arrange for separate finances. Just could not understand how two could draw water from the same well without conflict. That has worked out well. Anyway, I think her hobby is more expensive than mine.

The one way in which she is not indifferent is excellent. "You seem tense. Maybe you should shave."

Doing local deliveries years ago, dispatch got on the radio asking for my location. After I told them, I heard: “<crackle crackle hiss…….>, “You copy?”

Without missing a beat, I grabbed the mic and said:”I copied your copy but I didn’t copy anything before you said copy, you copy my copy? Over.”

I was not allowed to talk on the radio after that.
That sounds like a cop burn. Don't ask me how I know.

Should I post what you posted to me yesterday Slim?
Yes I shall:🤣
"Goodness sakes, @LRod pace yourself man!"

But, I’m not the one that has recently purchased all of the Fatip razors (or close to it) as well as various and sundry ATT or vintage razors.

Pray tell, good sir, how many total DEs are you up to? More than a dozen, yes? 😎😜😂

This hobby/rabbit hole has this going for it: you don’t have to spend a lot ALL the time to participate. I go for a while just buying software that gets used up - blades & soaps/creams.

Then, an enabler comes along (lookin’ right at ya, @LRod) who’s enthusiastic acquisition of everything that’s not nailed down gets me thinkin’, why not buy this razor or that one? And you know what? I do “need” another brush…

I blame you. 🤓😂

But, I’m not the one that has recently purchased all of the Fatip razors (or close to it) as well as various and sundry ATT or vintage razors.

Pray tell, good sir, how many total DEs are you up to? More than a dozen, yes? 😎😜😂

This hobby/rabbit hole has this going for it: you don’t have to spend a lot ALL the time to participate. I go for a while just buying software that gets used up - blades & soaps/creams.

Then, an enabler comes along (lookin’ right at ya, @LRod) who’s enthusiastic acquisition of everything that’s not nailed down gets me thinkin’, why not buy this razor or that one? And you know what? I do “need” another brush…

I blame you. 🤓😂
I just counted and I'm up 18 total!
But I've sold a lot as well. If I wouldn't have sold some, I'd probably be above 40.
All the vintage ones will stay for sure though.
I've actually now surpassed the modern ones.
I've got more vintage!
Luckily the vintage stuff I've bought is relatively cheap!
Considering what I've seen here on B&B, 18 so far is nothing. Some of the folks here are in the hundreds!

Hang around B&B long enough and you'll find out why!
I was one of those ghosts 10-12 years ago around here (I wasn't a member, just a reader) and found it a great font of some knowledge, some less-than-knowledge, and enormous excess. Earlier this month, I joined as I was going through my own stash and getting rid of a lot of unused stuff. I literally hadn't looked on here for years and was surprised to learn the bulk of the members seemed to move from natural hair brushes to synthetics, were buying razors that didn't exist 10-12 years ago, and a bunch of boutique products whose companies didn't exist then. Part of the reason I joined this time was to learn about these new things but went from 9 razors for the past maybe 20 years to 10 when I added a '63 Slim. Also wanted to get another boar brush and while I looked at a couple brands that were new to me, I ended up with a second Omega. Over the last couple weeks, in spite of my disdain for synthetic brushes, I bought one (Trafalgar T2 at a low enough price that if I don't like it, I can thrift it). Everything else I've bought was due to running low on software.

We shall see if I can stick to my 10 razors, 9 with the Trafalgar or is it 10 brushes. Soaps, creams, razor blades don't count. Oh, and I learned of the Captain's Choice copper bowl and was looking for an alternative to my long used giant latte cup as it was a disaster waiting to happen as I get older. That went off to the thrift.

I truly am not a collector, I'm more of a sampler. And when you've been shaving for 50+ years, you acquire things. I've had some of my razors for probably 30 years now. Bookmark this post and if I'm still here in a few months, we'll see which side I fall on! ;)

Last edited:
Enjoyable history. It has not been my impression that the bulk of members here have moved to synthetic brushes, but of course it's a hard thing to measure.
Just seems that way based on the threads I read vs. don't read. But I would be very pleased to think that most guys still prefer traditional boar and badger brushes.

I've got all synthetics except one horse hair brush. No badgers and no Boars!
Honestly, the synthetics are so good that I don't see the need for using anything else.
I guess for guys my age, natural hair brushes were mostly what was around if you wanted something of quality. I understand the game has changed but I've already got the good stuff. I am getting a Trafalgar T2 in a few days because it was inexpensive enough to try. However, I like shaving using boar and badger brushes, some of which are a good 15 years old now and, seemingly, as good today as when they were new (but I follow a brush care routine that a few people here scoffed at). I wonder how long the new synth brushes will last? Of course much of what folks are paying for are cool handles and they can always be reknotted.

I guess for guys my age, natural hair brushes were mostly what was around if you wanted something of quality. I understand the game has changed but I've already got the good stuff. I am getting a Trafalgar T2 in a few days because it was inexpensive enough to try. However, I like shaving using boar and badger brushes, some of which are a good 15 years old now and, seemingly, as good today as when they were new (but I follow a brush care routine that a few people here scoffed at). I wonder how long the new synth brushes will last? Of course much of what folks are paying for are cool handles and they can always be reknotted.
For me a brush is a brush as long as the knot is soft for my face and it lathers me well (and of course it's gotta have a decent size knot). I'm by no means a brush connoisseur! I'm more into razors!
I've got a total of 5 brushes and have never spent more than like $25 for any of them. So if they don't last long (they have so far), I'll simply buy another one when it wears.
The Trafalgar T2 is one of the ones I have. It's OK! I think I've used it like 4 times. To be fair though, maybe I have to give it a break in period. I bought it because I wanted to try a Simpsons brush! The hands down best synthetics for the money (for me) are the Razorock Plissoft brushes. Right out of the box, they work extremely well and they're relatively cheap. I have one that has a 22mm knot and another that has a 24mm knot. They're my daily drivers and I love them!

Top Bottom