SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Muhle r89
Blade: Gillette 7o'Clock Yellow (5)
Brush: Omega Evo Ovale
Cream: LEA Menthol
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Proraso Green (Splash)
041_22.jpg

My shave was the best of the week. It was a nice dfs comfortable shave.

Enough on that. I noticed Maggards has the new Fatip Piccolo Testina Gentile for $20.00 usd. I hovered around the buy button for a second. It's now ordered and soon to be dispatched. I had a tinge of guilt springing for it. It's okay, I'm coping.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
No SC or Old Type or open comb Fatip available? That LC looks amazing, but aren’t they a wee bit floppier at blade-fastening than desired?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
No SC or Old Type or open comb Fatip available? That LC looks amazing, but aren’t they a wee bit floppier at blade-fastening than desired?
Fatips are out, as I'm in the middle of a rotation with them. The rotation is, Fatip Wood OC then Fatip Wood Gentile CC etc.. You can see that using a CC for OCtober wouldn't work. I can't mess this up with my Fatips either, so I've put that rotation on hold. I'm using my Gillette New Type LC first, as that's my least favorite Gillette OC. Then I will go from there.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Razor: Gillette New Type LC
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Cream: Proraso Green Super Formula
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
037_22.jpg

Today was my first shave with my Gillette New Type LC in a very long while. It could be about four years ago? It's been awhile. The week that I used it, I found it to be rough. I shelved it in favor of my Gillette New Type SC. Today's shave, I found it to be not as smooth as my Fatips, borderline rough, on the first pass of 72 hours of growth, but the subsequent passes were pretty smooth. Even the final atg pass was smooth. The shave was good. It was an eye opener. My previous experience I'll chalk up to my routine having gotten the better of me, the razor is blade sensitive, the soap contained an ingredient that turns my skin red (sodium Benzoate)? Today's shave was pretty darn good by any standard.

This was my first use of my Simpson Trafalgar T3. It has a very nice, thick, luxurious feel and performance. It has good splay and paints well. It releases product with excellent flow threw. It is by no means a lather hog. It's not springy in any way. The brush reacts much like a animal hair brush. This brush is a step up from my other synthetic brushes with the exception of my Omega Evo. Here's the kicker. The Evo's fibers are a notch up from the Simpson sovereign grade synthetic fibers used in the Trafalgar line. They simply are. This puts my Simpson Trafalgar T3 as my second favorite brush. It is the equal of the Omega in every way but one. That is the absolute luxury feel of the Omega Evo knot. This makes me curious about trying a premium Simpson synthetic.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
View attachment 1339697
Today was my first shave with my Gillette New Type LC in a very long while. It could be about four years ago? It's been awhile. The week that I used it, I found it to be rough. I shelved it in favor of my Gillette New Type SC. Today's shave, I found it to be not as smooth as my Fatips, borderline rough, on the first pass of 72 hours of growth, but the subsequent passes were pretty smooth. Even the final atg pass was smooth. The shave was good. It was an eye opener. My previous experience I'll chalk up to my routine having gotten the better of me, the razor is blade sensitive, the soap contained an ingredient that turns my skin red (sodium Benzoate)? Today's shave was pretty darn good by any standard.

This was my first use of my Simpson Trafalgar T3. It has a very nice, thick, luxurious feel and performance. It has good splay and paints well. It releases product with excellent flow threw. It is by no means a lather hog. It's not springy in any way. The brush reacts much like a animal hair brush. This brush is a step up from my other synthetic brushes with the exception of my Omega Evo. Here's the kicker. The Evo's fibers are a notch up from the Simpson sovereign grade synthetic fibers used in the Trafalgar line. They simply are. This puts my Simpson Trafalgar T3 as my second favorite brush. It is the equal of the Omega in every way but one. That is the absolute luxury feel of the Omega Evo knot. This makes me curious about trying a premium Simpson synthetic.

I've not used 'em, but I've read the premium Simpson synthetics may not be as great as the Trafalgar and Evo. I'm only reporting what I've read. No personal knowledge at all.

The Evo is a great brush. Not just a great synthetic. That's baked-in knowledge.

Your confirmation of what I already thought has saved me a T3 purchase, Rave.

I'm awaiting the next generation or two of synthetics. The Evo will be very hard to beat.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I've not used 'em, but I've read the premium Simpson synthetics may not be as great as the Trafalgar and Evo. I'm only reporting what I've read. No personal knowledge at all.

The Evo is a great brush. Not just a great synthetic. That's baked-in knowledge.

Your confirmation of what I already thought has saved me a T3 purchase, Rave.

I'm awaiting the next generation or two of synthetics. The Evo will be very hard to beat.

Happy shaves,

Jim
You're welcome Jim. Knowing your thoughts about synthetics it would be a total waste of your money. I like the T3 well enough. There was that feeling of being let down when I first used the Trafalgar T3. My thoughts were, oops, this is nowhere close to an Evo. The Evo will be incredibly hard to beat. I may try a Muhle or EJ at some point. I'd like to see how they compare. Right now it's a toss up between buying one of them or a grey color Stetson Fedora I have my eyes on. Now that I have a proper 1940's style haircut, I think I could sport one (I got my hair reshaped after the haircut).

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (2)
039_22.jpg

It looks like I'm beginning to have a really nice week with my non-blade rigid Gillette New LC. Maybe there is something to be said for spring tension rigidity? It is not as smooth on a lot of growth as a good clamp the blade down rigidity like an Old or a Fatip. It is however quite smooth as a daily driver. I've made peace with this razor so far. We'll continue to see how it goes.

I enjoyed using my Simpson Trafalgar T3 today. I put any comparisons with the Omega Evo out of my mind, and I just shaved with it on its own accord. It was really nice. There really is nothing not to like about this brush. I also got into the feel of the fibers today. It really is a more scrubby, not scratchy, brush. If you like a good exfoliating synthetic this brush fits the bill. I can see that my appreciation for this brush is growing the more I use it.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (3)
041_22.jpg

Today is the day that I remember why I disliked my Gillette New LC. The reason I don't like it is its lack of rigidity when it counts. It's a razor I keep because it's art deco cool, but it sucks dog snot.

If I've been shaving for consecutive days there are hairs that are shorter than others due to the level at which they were cut. These shorter hairs are difficult to cut due to the stubby nature of where they are in their growth cycle, and are found on my chin. If I force an atg on a third pass with them it results in weepers. If I blade buff them wtg and xtg it usually does the trick. With a Fatip I can even wtg-atg buff with success.

I knew after my first wtg pass it was going to be a problem. The New LC couldn't even manage a xtg on a second pass on my chin. The stubble stopped the razor dead in its tracks there. I had to switch to skin stretching wtg in order to get the job done. P.S. I love my Simpson Trafalgar T3!

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I knew after my first wtg pass it was going to be a problem. The New LC couldn't even manage a xtg on a second pass on my chin. The stubble stopped the razor dead in its tracks there. I had to switch to skin stretching wtg in order to get the job done.
A Feather might help with that.

Top Bottom