What's new

My opinion regarding artisan signature soaps

Interesting comments - all.

I've always been a big believer in the YMMV ethos that B&B aspounds. I'm also a big proponent of treating others, as I would like to be treated. This is not rocket science, nor is it difficult behavior that is only possible for saints or the overly pious who aspire to sainthood, but is simply a good practice for adults in life.

In that spirit, despite my misgivings and awareness of the shortcomings of social media, I was open to watching and listening to some of the newer voices on Facebook, You Tube and Reddit. I was pleased to find some fresh interesting perspectives that were well presented such as Nick Shaves and a few others. I also found some entertaining, pleasant videos that had some affable fellows that were nice people, but were stronger on style than substance.

Frankly I also found a lot of B.S. that really quickly rose to the surface during the HTGAM/PPF fraud scandal. Many folks who had done much to further the cause of wet shaving had their good names trashed as the Junior High mindset of some of these tin hat bullies worked to squash open discussion about there man crush "Douglas".

After the most recent flare up of middle school behavior after Nick brought up the idea of apparent conflict of interest between reviewers (those other than "Douglas") and soap makers, I unfollowed Chris Bailey and Razor and Brush after Bailey's "Whiny Little Bitches" rant video.

This video is simply a strong declaration that other opinions are not only not welcome, but will not be tolerated. This is not the first instance of such bullying behavior from that individual, but IMO it really ramps up the egotism. Just about anything I do in my life is more rewarding than watch an angry man in his basement rant with shared platitudes such as "Haters,Hate!" (Brilliant, I like to borrow phrasing from pop singers too.)

If there was room for discussion, I would point out to Mr. Bailey that his use of false choices, ie. if you don't like naming practices that you are jealous and you should make your own videos takes some of the simplistic stuff he utters to a new level.

His false assumption does not allow for the possibility that some folks find it cheesy to sell naming rights to a shave soap (in honor of all that ______ has done to promote my product? He suggests that folks who for some reason disagree with him should stop living the rest of their lives and "give back" by producing there own You Tube videos - another false choice. There are many ways of giving back that live outside of Mr. Evangelist's limited offered choices.

Although as an American citizen and an adult who tries to be responsible I regularly seek out opinions that I disagree with, I did learn one good thing in the "Whiny Little Bitches" video, if I don't like it, don't watch. Thanks Chris.

Last edited:
After the most recent flare up of middle school behavior after Nick brought up the idea of apparent conflict of interest between reviewers (those other than "Douglas") and soap makers, I unfollowed Chris Bailey and Razor and Brush after Bailey's "Whiny Little Bitches" rant video. .

I actually took it upon myself to search this video out after hearing about its, skimmed through and heard that phrase a few times as well as him telling people to wash their female parts (he used the medical term).

He made some valid points, all the YT guys do and all have their place...but it's those comments, the Gun, the peeing, the other stuff that I just don't see the humor in and don't think it adds anything to shaving videos. I can't watch those videos with my family around, don't want them seeing and heard some of this stuff and don't want to hear or see it myself. I know he was fired up this time and his videos don't normally contain that type of language, so I can overlook that in this case as he was indirectly attacked by many here and elsewhere.

As for the soaps being named after people (what the thread was originally about), it's the fact that the soaps are usually limited, usually not full production products, that appears to have some concerned about buying. You can fall in love with one, then it's gone for good the next time you want it. Not all are like this, as it was pointed out that Don Marco was named after B&B's Marco and is a regularly stocked item, I heard Freedberg is coming back and I don't know about Catties as I have not been following that one.

Let's all remember: 12. Remember that in the end, it's not solving world hunger. It's just shaving!

Last edited:
As traditional wet shavers, we live in interesting times. Though I had been using Body Shop cream with a brush for years, my first exposure to the wet shaving community came after I saw video of Corey Greenberg's segment on the Today show 10 years ago. Who knew????? I naturally bought a Vulfix 2234 and Trumper's Violet cream right away. I also don't regret it for a second. Fast forward to today, and there are something like 60 artisan soapmakers that were documented in another thread recently. How does any new soapmaker achieve visibility for their product in the crowd?

It makes perfect sense that they would seek to leverage every avenue for exposure that they can, and blogs, podcasts, facebook groups and forums provide good visibility and the ability to interact with customers directly. Couple those efforts and a good product with the enthusiasm that customers will express and you can develop a well connected user base that can help a business get off the ground and thrive. Heck, scroll through 6 pages of Clubs and Brotherhoods here and you'll see what I mean. When a soapmaker thanks a supporter by naming a product after him, I don't see any problem with that. It's all part of the business. People like Erik Hodges can take their efforts to the extreme, and in the end, may fundamentally damage their relationship with the very people who made them what they are, but that's all part of the risks that go along with these types of things.

As I said earlier in this thread, I had never heard of many of these Internet shaving celebrities before. Heck, I thought Joe was taking a Wes Anderson approach to product naming when he called some products "Freedburg." Live and Learn. For the video types that put their opinions out on video, it's just another way to express them. The number of guys typing their opinions in forums dwarfs the number of video opinionators by thousands to one. That will certainly change over time. Mantic is still the only one that I have watched and actually listened to. Kudos to him for not lending his name to any product that I know of, and I would be shocked if he wasn't regularly approached about having a "Mantic Edition" of some product or another. He's also pursued the development of long form content on his own site, and anyone who's visited Grantland or 538 knows that can be a successful approach.

This is pretty much how I feel. I have enjoyed watching mantic59 videos, there are some good early geofatboy videos like the straight razor and DE shave demos, and some good straight razor shave videos from chimensch and willipeter, just to name a few. These are the "classics" for me, and they are either educational or humorous or innovative or creative. This new generation of videobloggers who flip on the camera and drone on and on, often without much color or inventiveness as kevan mentioned, is not for me. We need you back mantic!!!

Like many of us, I watched Mantic early on. I didn't think it was weird at all. Some years after that, I started watching Steve Faragher when he first started making videos. He was more idiosyncratic, his methods wouldn't be endorsed by a lot of people here, his lather is sub-par most of the time, but he used a very simple method that was the same method used by a barber who shaved him in Turkey once.

But he added British color and personality to his videos, he was interactive, and treated his audience as friends. I grew to like him so much that I felt for him when his girlfriend got breast cancer and was distressed when he had a heart attack last year. I'm still subscribed to his channel, and watch videos he uploads.

But he was the one that started The Big Shave Facebook group, named after his videos, from which a lot of these guys have come. I've seen a few of their videos. The best of the bunch is "Big John" I think (although his "Mad Scientist of Wet Shaving" nickname is ridiculous) because he talks through the products and gives tips and throws in a little history and color now and then. He shaves with Trac II's and injectors and other razors you don't normally see. I absolutely love the fact that he always says going back to the puck to reload soap is no bad thing at all, and whenever did it become a bad thing or an evaluator of a soap's effectiveness? So what? It's soap...use it.

The only other one I watch is Joe from Queens (I think that's his name) simply because his videos are like little field trips to New York. They're fun. Do I think he and his son should go on some sort of diet for the sake of their health and immediate future? Yes. But I love the guy's videos because of the local color. Shaving is almost secondary to what his videos are about.

I did watch Geo for a time, until everything became ShaveNation this and ShaveNation that. Here, get your ShaveNation washcloth and wash your face while your ShaveNation brush soaks in your ShaveNation bowl, and don't forget to go to ShaveNation.com! But I like that he defended the Feather ASD1 at a time when most people were poo-pooing it for being too mild. He gave it a run on his heavy beard with a full-week's growth, and showed it to be not "too mild" at all.

The other guys I could care less about. Freeburg or TSE haven't engaged me...Busta flat-out annoys me, and the guy from "Reddit's Wicked Edge" is the worst. First, I still haven't figured out what the heck Reddit actually is or what it's useful for as opposed to a forum, and second,his personality is dull as dishwater, and he's critical of stuff unless he gets an absolute BBS shave (and he always shaves when it looks like he has zero stubble on his face anyway). Though, I will admit the time he shaved with a straight piece of obsidian was entertaining.

Anyway, I don't think any of these guys whould have soaps named after them but the artisans can do what they want. I stopped buying RazoRock stuff because everything was so similar, with weak scents, and there were so many new products with increasingly weird names that I just gave up. Yet...RR can do what they want. I had no idea what How to Grow a Mustache was until this summer. I still haven't tried it. I have no plans to. An extended illness has put wetshaving on hold indefinitely for me and I haven't shaved with anything but a Norelco for months now.

So as I've taken time off from the hobby, I've come across an explosion of new soaps and razors I had no clue about. And soaps named after guys I had no clue had soaps named after them. Do I think it's right? Not really...but the artisans can do what they want. I'm not their main target anyway. I have entirely too many soaps, and I'm not going to be buying any more for the forseeable future.

Last edited:
Hello everybody!
Two points of clarification...
My last name is spelled Freedberg :)

I make and post my videos because they are fun to make and others find them informative and useful. I do not monetize them, any site may link to them. I do not do endorsements, but I do share my opinions on the products I like, and I also talk about products I think people should skip. I do all this on my own dime. I feel honored by having a soap named the Freedberg but I also know it is meant to be in good fun. Remember having fun? It is a good thing and I like it!

Enjoy your shaves!

Also, being a YouTube celebrity has its advantages. Yesterday a guy cut me off and did NOT give me the finger...just one of the many benefits I enjoy.

Kudos to the OP for posting such a thought provoking and interesting thread. Regardless of what opinion you may have on this subject the fact that we can come together and discuss is wonderful. I must say I have read every post in this thread and it has been fascinating. Shaving is fun and it's something that we all enjoy doing. Bravo to the bloggers, the soap makers, and the gents like myself who love to get fired up about shaving. I really enjoyed both poinths of view on this one. Great read!

A lot has been said and I agree with most of it but the only thing I can add to this is...

A lot of these new artisan soap labels are embarrassing. It's bad enough people don't understand all the shaving gear I have but there's no way to explain some of these labels put out to people who walk in my bathroom. My Mitchells Wool Fat ceramic dish, Floid Blue bottle, proraso creams, and even aqua velva look classy on the counter. These artisan soaps look absolutely ridiculous with photoshopped youtubers faces on them. just my .02.

YouTube users over 1 Billion/Month, facebook 1.3 Billion/month, B&B uhmmm somewhat less...:lol: If you want to promote our hobby it will be via social media. Don't be envious of others that actively promote our hobby and get recognized in a very minor way by vendors. It's a kind gesture recognizing some of these people. They put themselves out there and face all the negativity, jealousy, and sometimes outright hatred for no reason. Look at some of the negative posts in this thread... It is very sad to say the least, especially so near Christmas.

Hello everybody!
Two points of clarification...
My last name is spelled Freedberg :)

I make and post my videos because they are fun to make and others find them informative and useful. I do not monetize them, any site may link to them. I do not do endorsements, but I do share my opinions on the products I like, and I also talk about products I think people should skip. I do all this on my own dime. I feel honored by having a soap named the Freedberg but I also know it is meant to be in good fun. Remember having fun? It is a good thing and I like it!

Enjoy your shaves!

Also, being a YouTube celebrity has its advantages. Yesterday a guy cut me off and did NOT give me the finger...just one of the many benefits I enjoy.

If you haven't seen Michael Freeberg's videos, they are the real deal. Michael convey's real information in a clear, effective manner.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mfreedberg/videos

A lot has been said and I agree with most of it but the only thing I can add to this is...

A lot of these new artisan soap labels are embarrassing. It's bad enough people don't understand all the shaving gear I have but there's no way to explain some of these labels put out to people who walk in my bathroom. My Mitchells Wool Fat ceramic dish, Floid Blue bottle, proraso creams, and even aqua velva look classy on the counter. These artisan soaps look absolutely ridiculous with photoshopped youtubers faces on them. just my .02.

I agree with the super cheese labels of someone's face... But these look cool, I'm digging the neon.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419122701.479778.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419122708.756081.jpg

I've never watched one through either and have all but given up even clicking on them now.

Something disturbing about watching a grown man shave in a robe that I don't want to be part of.

You'll be even more deeply disturbed after watching the ray rum Billy video. <laughing>

Don't be envious of others that actively promote our hobby and get recognized in a very minor way by vendors. It's a kind gesture recognizing some of these people. They put themselves out there and face all the negativity, jealousy, and sometimes outright hatred for no reason. Look at some of the negative posts in this thread... It is very sad to say the least, especially so near Christmas.

I still fail to see how the fact that someone expresses their opinion and it doesn't quite agree with yours automatically classifies that as hatred. I just don't. So forgive me if I'm not reading any envy or hatred in this thread at all. What I've been reading has been people's varied opinions and all have been valued. Not just by me.

So forgive me if I'm not reading any envy or hatred in this thread at all. What I've been reading has been people's varied opinions and all have been valued. Not just by me.

Forgive me and some of the other posters here that clearly see a degree of envy in some of these negative posts. Why do you NOT value our opinions? Is it because they are different than yours?

Top Bottom