What's new

My opinion regarding artisan signature soaps

Well if someone wanted their own signature soap from an artisan, don't you think they'd be more inclined to talk about it?

I'm not saying that is being done currently or has been done, but I like to see reviewers be as impartial as possible.

That's all I meant by that statement. Perhaps shilling was not the right word or we may have different ideas of what shilling is.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
It seems to me that its a really crowded marketplace for shaving products, especially since the consumer base of wetshaving enthusaists is relatively small. You can hardly blame vendors for trying to separate themselves from the herd in whatever way they can. You know, one of the great things I love about this hobby is that there really is something for everyone. Want to stick to old world classics? Great - you'd be set for life with Cella, MWF, and Arko. Sharp dressing upscale yuppie? Shop at AOS, Jack Black, Khiels. Dig trendy internet marketing and edgy product names - HTGAM and RR are there for you. Super crunchy hippie all natural guy? Patronize your local artisan soapmaker. I could go on and on. So anyway, my point is that if particular venders are rubbing you the wrong way because of some business practice, the solution is easy - don't patronize them. There's plenty of fish in the shaving sea. Happy shaving everyone!

This. I don't really watch any of these YouTube videos as the ones I've seen are more fanboyism or outright shilling than informational or critique. I have the same issue with the Facebook groups. So the "marketing" of these soaps is lost on me because I'm not familiar with the "personalities" involved. I also think there are too many LE soaps coming out in general regardless of what they are called. It's just a way to sell more soap. How many scents of whatever artisan of the moment's soap does a guy need?
Maybe I don't get out enough, but I have no idea who those guys are.

brucered

System Generated
This. I don't really watch any of these YouTube videos as the ones I've seen are more fanboyism or outright shilling than informational or critique. I have the same issue with the Facebook groups. So the "marketing" of these soaps is lost on me because I'm not familiar with the "personalities" involved. I also think there are too many LE soaps coming out in general regardless of what they are called. It's just a way to sell more soap. How many scents of whatever artisan of the moment's soap does a guy need?

I've never watched one through either and have all but given up even clicking on them now.

Something disturbing about watching a grown man shave in a robe that I don't want to be part of.

Or Through The Fire's soaps... how do I remember what Kindling vs Ember vs Tinder smells like? I've been trying those out for a while and I still need to open them up and sniff them to remember which is which.

+1

I bought one of her 6-scent samplers. Great soap, but I can't remember which ones I prefer because the names all make me think they should smell like Stirling's Texas on Fire. I have done a lot of opening and sniffing.

I've never watched one through either and have all but given up even clicking on them now.

Something disturbing about watching a grown man shave in a robe that I don't want to be part of.

That and a guy's first impressions (how it looks, smells and feels) of a handful of products he just bought... Um, it looks nice, smells great, feels nice and heavy in my hand. Watch me tomorrow as I actually use it. Come on. Mantic59 where are you? Those have been informative unbiased videos.

Last edited:
After reading this thread, I did some research to find out who these guys are. My wife caught me watching a youTube video of one of them and immediately declared it to be a very bizarre thing to watch, somewhat on the creepy side. This was a daily shave type of video, not an instructional one, and I have to agree that I have no particular wish to watch guys shaving in front of a camera. But this is one of those YMMV things and I would say live and let live. If anyone ever wants to put my face on a shaving soap, just call it Adonis.

brucered

System Generated
After reading this thread, I did some research to find out who these guys are. My wife caught me watching a youTube video of one of them and immediately declared it to be a very bizarre thing to watch, somewhat on the creepy side. This was a daily shave type of video, not an instructional one, and I have to agree that I have no particular wish to watch guys shaving in front of a camera. But this is one of those YMMV things and I would say live and let live. If anyone ever wants to put my face on a shaving soap, just call it Adonis.

Yeah, I'd rather be caught watching this and have to explain. Easier to watch and less embarassing :001_cool:

Oh ok, gotcha. Since late May/early June I have counted 8 different soaps from 4 different artisans crop up. All of them were named after recognized wet shaving YouTube personalities.

Thanks for sharing this. I have literally NEVER heard of this 'signature soap' trend! And i frequent this forum fairly frequently! Not sure how i missed that! So this thread is very enlightening, thanks! It sounds like a very gimmicky idea to me, and i certainly would not be buying into this.

Oh ok, gotcha. Since late May/early June I have counted 8 different soaps from 4 different artisans crop up. All of them were named after recognized wet shaving YouTube personalities.

I feel the same. While browsing soaps I've always passed those up. It didn't appeal to me either. Never thought why till you got me thinking about it.

Props to you for gathering your feelings and being able to lay it out in words. I just had this meh feeling but never gave it much thought.

Top Bottom