What's new

My opinion regarding artisan signature soaps

Yeah, I've heard a lot of praise of it, but none that I can recall from Marco. Says a lot about his integrity and lack of egotism to me.

Honestly, I really didn't think it was such a big deal, but after reading this thread, I guess it is. I simply did it because I wanted to honor some people that either inspired me, taught me, or helped me along the same. A lot of the things I do aren't thoroughly thought out, I like to have fun and I do what feels good/right in the moment.

No, I don't think it is a big deal. I think it's all in good fun and wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I sincerely did not know where the names came from and it was interesting to find out. Will buy the products if they are good... As long they're not called Hitler, Staline, or similarly nefarious characters... Love the Don Marco soap and will try the Stallion... Don't sweat it.

Last edited:
That whole HTGAM and the way a few vocal YT shavers defended him was enough to turn me off all artisan products. I PIFed or trashed what I did have. In the long run it saved me a bunch of money, since I bought quite a few products every month, and it killed most of my AD's

NSmalls,

Thanks for starting this thread. I found the differing opinions and views well worth reading.

Your welcome. Seems to be a fairly polarizing topic. I was not expecting this at all!

It has been an interesting read nonetheless, and even more interesting to get other people's takes on the subject.

That whole HTGAM and the way a few vocal YT shavers defended him was enough to turn me off all artisan products. I PIFed or trashed what I did have. In the long run it saved me a bunch of money, since I bought quite a few products every month, and it killed most of my AD's

Al's, Strop Shoppe, Barrister & Mann, LA Shaving Soap Company, Mike's, Mystic Waters, Dapper Dragon, Soap Commander and Queen Charlotte do not, as far as I know, have soap named after a YT personality.

I've not seen the others hawking the soap either, not to say they haven't but I haven't seen it. I know that I have never seen Anthony Esposito hawking the RR Stallion which was named after him. Honest question, have you seen this happening? that would change a lot of my opinions.

Do you mean "hocking"?

OK, Joe, I have seen it on Facebook. Here is a screen shot of it:

View attachment 532696

I don't really care about it, I was just pointing out that Marco doesn't mention the fact that the soap is named for him, but the YouTube guys talk about constantly.

Fair enough, Rick. It just doesn't seem like he's saying "buy this stuff, it's great" but I can see how it would turn some off.

I thought Michael Freedberg was somehow partners/involved with RazoRock. All of his videos are linked on the site and his name mentioned a couple of times. I was always confused as IB is in Canada and Michael is in south? Carolina.
And I am back! This thread has been quite entertaining, I must say.
So here is how it all started. A lot of references to RazoRock products here on B&B, so I started looking at what they offered, and I was quite surprised to see that they had the TFS soaps available, but rebranded. I also took a look at the various aftershave options and could not figure out what they actually were because the names did not really make sense to me. So, I contacted Joe for some more info, I purchased the ones I was interested in - and then, figuring that if I was confused, others would be as well, I decided to give back and make a video to explain the different types of RazoRock AS. Think of it as a public service *and* as something fun to do.
The more you participate on the forums, the more you see the same questions come up again and again, and you get a feel for where new wetshavers struggle. I asked Joe if he tended to get the same questions again and again, and lo and behold, he did! As does every other vendor out there, I would imagine. So, I decided to try to do a short series of videos to cover the basics, like building a lather or how to use alum. The videos are my idea, I fund them, and I do them for two reasons: they are fun to make, and people are getting something from them. They are not a money-making enterprise and no, I am not a YouTube personality. I am a person on YouTube - big difference.

Please note: those videos feature RazoRock products because *those are the products I have to hand*. I do not have a massive shave den, I actually have very little in the queue. I am not associated with, or paid by, or sponsored by, RazoRock, other than as a happy customer. I derive no income from my videos. If people send me something for review, it must be on their dime and they must accept whatever I might say about their product.

Italian Barber site does include a link to my videos because the videos were made *to help people learn how to lather* and where better to do that than right with the soap they might be looking at?
Any vendor or site can use or embed those videos at no charge.

Finally, I make no money from The Freedberg soap or AS. The only time I promote The Freedberg soap is to post a picture of the soap to poke certain people for when they ask "What is the best soap ever?" I do not shill or hawk. Does it make my mom cry every time she sees it? Of course it does.

This is the tipping point where a sensitivity developed about such things as naming rights. The zeal and vitriol exemplified by the "whiny little bitches" video is an incredibly hurtful and disrespectful way to reach out to the "brotherhood" of wet shaving. A real side effect of such hate speech is that it pushes people to take sides and loose trust.

Hopefully Italian Barber and our other fine vendors are in business to make money. It's my firm belief that a big part of their business plan is to provide excellent customer service - from which we all benefit. After many years of benefitting from that service, I don't for a minute imagine that there was somehow a secret plan to woo sales by naming some RazoRock soaps. I was completely unaware that Don Marco was named after our own esteemed Marco. Additionally, I've been aware of Michael Freeburg's excellent shave videos and find them be well thought out and very effective. I am less familiar with Ant "Tight Buns", but my understanding is that he too has greatly contributed to the body of knowledge about wet shaving.

Despite my practice of intentionally listening to viewpoints different than my own, I will not watch anymore inflammatory videos or social media posts that work to divide our community. I will continue to have conversations with those who act as mature adults, sometimes finding ourselves agreeing and sometimes not.

Last edited:
And I am back! This thread has been quite entertaining, I must say.
So here is how it all started. A lot of references to RazoRock products here on B&B, so I started looking at what they offered, and I was quite surprised to see that they had the TFS soaps available, but rebranded. I also took a look at the various aftershave options and could not figure out what they actually were because the names did not really make sense to me. So, I contacted Joe for some more info, I purchased the ones I was interested in - and then, figuring that if I was confused, others would be as well, I decided to give back and make a video to explain the different types of RazoRock AS. Think of it as a public service *and* as something fun to do.
The more you participate on the forums, the more you see the same questions come up again and again, and you get a feel for where new wetshavers struggle. I asked Joe if he tended to get the same questions again and again, and lo and behold, he did! As does every other vendor out there, I would imagine. So, I decided to try to do a short series of videos to cover the basics, like building a lather or how to use alum. The videos are my idea, I fund them, and I do them for two reasons: they are fun to make, and people are getting something from them. They are not a money-making enterprise and no, I am not a YouTube personality. I am a person on YouTube - big difference.

Please note: those videos feature RazoRock products because *those are the products I have to hand*. I do not have a massive shave den, I actually have very little in the queue. I am not associated with, or paid by, or sponsored by, RazoRock, other than as a happy customer. I derive no income from my videos. If people send me something for review, it must be on their dime and they must accept whatever I might say about their product.

Italian Barber site does include a link to my videos because the videos were made *to help people learn how to lather* and where better to do that than right with the soap they might be looking at?
Any vendor or site can use or embed those videos at no charge.

Finally, I make no money from The Freedberg soap or AS. The only time I promote The Freedberg soap is to post a picture of the soap to poke certain people for when they ask "What is the best soap ever?" I do not shill or hawk. Does it make my mom cry every time she sees it? Of course it does.
I don't know much about Joe at Italian barber and his partners but I saw this on the site for the slant and just assumed it was you. I am assuming this is a different Michael? In all honesty I am just explaining how I pieced things together in my head even if they are incorrect. I saw your videos and the name Michael and just assumed they were the same person.

"Backstory:

The inspiration behind this razor was a very old German bakelite slant that was produced over half a century ago. In 2012, Michael and I got lucky and found a huge treasure trove of new-old-stock, vintage German bakelite slant razors in Italy. "

I don't know much about Joe at Italian barber and his partners but I saw this on the site for the slant and just assumed it was you. I am assuming this is a different Michael? In all honesty I am just explaining how I pieced things together in my head even if they are incorrect. I saw your videos and the name Michael and just assumed they were the same person.

"Backstory:

The inspiration behind this razor was a very old German bakelite slant that was produced over half a century ago. In 2012, Michael and I got lucky and found a huge treasure trove of new-old-stock, vintage German bakelite slant razors in Italy. "
I believe the Michael that Joe is referring to is actually his brother, who he runs the company with.

I believe the Michael that Joe is referring to is actually his brother, who he runs the company with.
Ah! Yes, that "Michael" is not me, that is Joe's brother and business partner. I am graced with the same first name, not the same family lineage.

This is the tipping point where a sensitivity developed about such things as naming rights. The zeal and vitriol exemplified by the "whiny little bitches" video is an incredibly hurtful and disrespectful way to reach out to the "brotherhood" of wet shaving. A real side effect of such hate speech is that it pushes people to take sides and loose trust.

Hopefully Italian Barber and our other fine vendors are in business to make money. It's my firm belief that a big part of their business plan is to provide excellent customer service - from which we all benefit. After many years of benefitting from that service, I don't for a minute imagine that there was somehow a secret plan to woo sales by naming some RazoRock soaps. I was completely unaware that Don Marco was named after our own esteemed Marco. Additionally, I've been aware of Michael Freeburg's excellent shave videos and find them be well thought out and very effective. I am less familiar with Ant "Tight Buns", but my understanding is that he too has greatly contributed to the body of knowledge about wet shaving.

Despite my practice of intentionally listening to viewpoints different than my own, I will not watch anymore inflammatory videos or social media posts that work to divide our community. I will continue to have conversations with those who act as mature adults, sometimes finding ourselves agreeing and sometimes not.

I would like to buy this man an egg nog.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mike's Soaps...that guy named his entire company after himself :lol:

That's an OUTRAGE! He is obviously self absorbed and doesn't care about his customers. He should name his company and soaps after verses from Dr. Seuss :thumbup:

Guys, I have read this from start to finish& have no clue what's happing here. Could someone give this old senile member the short version.

Some artisan soapmakers name some of their products after people who make videos about shaving on YouTube.

Some people think it is bad

Some people think it is good

Some people don't care one way or the other

Now you're up to speed.

Some of these posts are very snarky and getting dangerously close to becoming personal attacks.

Let's tone it down a bit shall we?

Top Bottom