What's new

My opinion regarding artisan signature soaps

Mmmmmm, Donkey sounds amazing. :w00t:

For all you Shrek fans: would Donkey smell like waffles?

$donkey waffles.jpg

brucered

System Generated
This^^

It's marketing, they're picking a direction/demographic that their product might appeal to. For the younger guys embarking on wet shaving maybe they appreciate the humor and that drives them to buy it versus some 1000 year old brand with a fancy script label that makes it seem aristocratic and stuffy.

I'm guessing the younger guys starting out, have no idea who the guys on some of the soaps are or why they were chosen to have soaps named after them. It would be like walking down the hot sauce isle and seeing some random dude on a bottle with a Sombrero next to Tabasco or Franks....which one would you choose?

Wet Shaving has a somewhat tradition behind it, people start because their Dad or Grandpa did it. The "old brand with a fancy script label that makes it seem aristocratic and stuffy" will probably be the one they choose to start with as it's a proven performer with some history behind it.

That's how I see it.
$fY5Wx.jpg

Or

$product_red_12_2008.jpg

I know which one I'm choosing

Last edited:
This is the first I have heard of this. I guess the fact I don't have Facebook, Twitter, whatever and don't search Youtube for shaving videos and/or product reviews has something to do with it.

Either way I kind of think this is tacky and wouldn't buy any of these products.
I hadn't heard of this before, for the same reasons.

I have looked at a few shaving videos, and I hated them all. Pictures of lather, photos of dens, great moody shots of shave-of-the-day set-ups: I think they're all fascinating. But ill-lit videos of men in their bathrooms shaving and talking about it? Ugh. And every video I've seen has insulted my intelligence. Their reviews seem to be repeating the word "great" about each product.

So I have to say that I would be disappointed if any of the manufacturers of soaps I like were to sign on to this ugly habit, cheapening their brand while glorifying those losers with video cameras.

I'm guessing the younger guys starting out, have no idea who the guys on some of the soaps are or why they were chosen to have soaps named after them. It would be like walking down the hot sauce isle and seeing some random dude on a bottle with a Sombrero next to Tabasco or Franks....which one would you choose?

Wet Shaving has a somewhat tradition behind it, people start because their Dad or Grandpa did it. The "old brand with a fancy script label that makes it seem aristocratic and stuffy" will probably be the one they choose to start with.
View attachment 531194

Or

View attachment 531195

I know which one I'm choosing

I know which one I'm choosing too. Brother Bru Bru is the ticket! I'm actually not being snarky, I probably really would choose it. But what makes your choice more superior than mine? Nothing. Nor does my choice have any superiority over yours. We're both making choices based partially off of an emotional response, past experience, preference, performance or many other aspects that may or may not start with the letter P.

That's the beauty of it, what appeals to some doesn't appeal to all. But what I don't understand is what is there to get wound up about? What major impact is it going to have?

I hadn't heard of this before, for the same reasons.

I have looked at a few shaving videos, and I hated them all. Pictures of lather, photos of dens, great moody shots of shave-of-the-day set-ups: I think they're all fascinating. But ill-lit videos of men in their bathrooms shaving and talking about it? Ugh. And every video I've seen has insulted my intelligence. Their reviews seem to be repeating the word "great" about each product.

So I have to say that I would be disappointed if any of the manufacturers of soaps I like were to sign on to this ugly habit, cheapening their brand while glorifying those losers with video cameras.

I hope it isn't raining behind your computer because you may drown. That kind of attitude is a cancer in this community. I am sorry you feel that way

These soaps were marketed to the Facebook groups not the folks here. The people on those labels and the soap makers themselves are active members of the groups and it was done mainly for them. I wouldn't expect anyone not involved with the groups to get it or even know about the soaps. B&B is not only wet shaving venue out there, I say this not to ruffle any feathers, but to just explain there are alot of shavers in the world who prefer Facebook to the forums and the groups are pretty tight with lots of products geared directly for them.

brucered

System Generated
That's the beauty of it, what appeals to some doesn't appeal to all. But what I don't understand is what is there to get wound up about? What major impact is it going to have?

I don't know if anyone is getting wound up, I know I'm not. This topic intrigues me, as it's been on my mind for a while now.

As a few have already pointed out, most of these soaps come and go quickly. So if you fall in love and it's your all time favorite soap, you could be hung out to dry in 6 months when it's nowhere to be found.

I don't know if anyone is getting wound up, I know I'm not. This topic intrigues me, as it's been on my mind for a while now.

As a few have already pointed out, most of these soaps come and go quickly. So if you fall in love and it's your all time favorite soap, you could be hung out to dry in 6 months when it's nowhere to be found.

I was inferring some of the other posts that folks were getting (and continuing apparently) to get rather upset about it. I agree that they come and go, but so does everything else. Sometimes that is exactly what makes it so great. For that moment in time you had something that just worked...I mean look at the posts in the Brown Leaf or the Haberdashery at all of the nostalgic waxing that goes on there...not to mention the DE razor posts for those days long ago when it was the norm to shave this way.

I bet there's a few out there that LOVED lawn darts...went the way of the dodo bird...

I hope it isn't raining behind your computer because you may drown. That kind of attitude is a cancer in this community. I am sorry you feel that way
Strong words, and I apologize for whatever I said that incurred them. Part of my problem is that I have always considered Facebook an enormous time-waster, so I never signed up, thereby missing all the fun action others describe here.

One odd thing: I haunt the soap and cream forums (fora?) on B&B, and I have yet to see any of these clown-car products mentioned, let alone reviewed. My whispered questions: Yeah, but how are the soaps? What do they smell like? Good performers?

No, it all seems like a stupid stunt, so I'll ignore the soaps.

Last edited:
Strong words, and I apologize for whatever I said that incurred them. Part of my problem is that I have always considered Facebook an enormous time-waster, so I never signed up, thereby missing all the fun action others describe here.

One odd thing: I haunt the soap and cream forums (fora?) on B&B, and I have yet to see any of these clown-car products mentioned, let alone reviewed. My whispered questions: Yeah, but how are the soaps? What do they smell like? Good performers?

+1. Some of us choose not to do the "social media" thing. If a soap maker wants to get our share of the market, then market to us. HTGAM did this several times with his "limited edition" Barbersoul-Pole-CaD,and they sold out within an hour or so. Eventually, when it wasn't a "limited edition, buy it now or never get it at all" I did get my hands on one of them. First thing I said to myself when I opened the tin- this smell sucks, why did I fall for this hype? My final thoughts: if it is that good, consumers will be raving about it, not the one selling it.

I think calling people losers and they insult your intelligence is uncalled for. I absolutely respect your opinion but there are better ways to get your point across.

I'm happy to see things back on track here. I hate to have to edit or delete posts. Just a reminder to refrain from anything resembling a personal attack. Remember, it's just soap.

Carry on. :001_smile

Hype sells products. Always has, always will. Social media is just another avenue, another niche if you will. For some these forums could be viewed as a total time-waster, just like some think social media is (arguably this is just social media too, just narrowed down to a handful of specific topics).

Hype sells products. Always has, always will. Social media is just another avenue, another niche if you will. For some these forums could be viewed as a total time-waster, just like some think social media is (arguably this is just social media too, just narrowed down to a handful of specific topics).

Forums have been social media since the beginning with bulletin boards and Usenet.

It's not even hype. It's just a thank you and funny thing for the members of the group who have spent a ton and made a ton of money for Catie's Bubbles, RazoRock, and HTGAM/ Phoenix something. Why do people here even care, like I said it's not marketed to them. Do you think the guys over on those groups are bashing the B&B brush? It's the same thing. Yes, they are silly soap names, but there are also other soaps that aren't so silly like the Le Pere Lucien soap that has just been made for the group. Is the original post here about the soap or about the fact that they were made mainly for the other groups. I ask this seriously because he posted this same thing on Facebook this morning and really stirred the pot there while admitting he doesn't even post in the groups.

Forums have been social media since the beginning with bulletin boards and Usenet.
I like B&B so much because it is, what's the right word, a curated social medium. We all like the same thing, traditional shaving, to a greater or lesser degree. Everyone is polite and generous with his knowledge. My intelligence is respected, in that every-other post isn't trying to sell me something, a la Facebook.

And I still find shaving videos creepy. Yeah, I'm an elitist, but is that really a "cancerous" attitude?

I watch some YouTube shaving videos. I like some. Some, I don't like, so I don't watch them. If some of them get soaps with their names and pictures on them, I don't care. It doesn't affect me one way or the other. I'm on Facebook and see these soaps being hawked by their respective subjects. Truthfully, I haven't seen one scent description that even appeals to me, so I don't consider buying them. These soaps are apparently made in very small batches and sell out quickly. If these people have fans and the fans want this soap, good for them. I don't see why it would bother anyone. It doesn't affect the integrity of anything.

Like Bob said, it's just soap.

All I can say is WOW!! The world of Wet shaving is infinitely larger than this little forum.... Some fantastic Facebook groups, Google+. UTube channels all promoting Wet Shaving, reaching more people in many different ways that this forum isn't reaching. Maybe B&B needs a UTube channel of its own?

Not bent out of shape at all. I have never bought any of the soaps, just trying to explain that they weren't marketed to the group here. How is that bent out of shape?

Top Bottom