What's new

My Lathe is here

My Lathe arrived today, while I was shaving oddly enough.

I got her bolted down to the work bench and threw some scrap wood in there so I could play around and get a feel for it. I'm loving it. Within a half hour or so I had something what looks kinda like a brush handle goin. Unfortunately it's too small because I only had so much scrap to use. It'd be more like a Wee Scot size handle, but it has a decent shape.

I think I'm going to like this.
I have an order coming from TGN with some blanks to turn of various styles and colors. I'm going to keep practicing on this scrap wood until it gets here. I can't wait.

Attachments

• $S6302120.jpg
    $S6302120.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 417
proxy.php

I like it, any previous experience with a lathe, I always wanted to try my hand at it. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see more.

Congratulations and have you had any prior experience in using a lathe ?

The reason I ask is that I took a one day class for bowl turning and it seemed like something that would be difficult for me to master.

Since then, I bought an attachment for my drill press that makes it work like a lathe and I have a heck of a time trying to get the correct chisel angle. I very nearly tossed a fair sized chunk of wood across the garage.

I am very impressed at what you have been able to do so far.

Good start! If you're new to this, concentrate on flowing forms of various types to get the feel for different cuts. Use the finest-grained clear wood you have, and keep your tools sharp - that will give you a big bonus on your technique. Just like razors, sharpness counts!

great job... i have a HF lathe in box sitting in my garage waiting for some time to get to it... can't wait to start making some handles.

Wonderfull,the lathe,the Queen of the shop:))
But alas is just the tip of the iceburg when you realize all the wonderfull attachments you just have to have,enjoy.
Make chips/not war.
proxy.php

I'll be watching BST for your 1st custom brush sale.

It's a Craftsman Mini Lathe SEEN HERE.

I'm quite happy with it thus far, but I have to get some more attachments to do this right. I ordered a threaded mandrel from TGN when I got my stock, but I can't use it in this lathe. I need to get me a drill chuck for it, then I can use the threaded mandrel. I've turned several little things so far and it's been fun. I got a decent brush handle going right now. Made a pen last night. It's drying.

My first project is complete. The Lathe came with a pen kit, so I did it last night, and just got through assembling it. I'm pretty happy about how it turned out.

Attachments

• $S6302128.jpg
    $S6302128.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 352
  • $S6302129.jpg
    $S6302129.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 345
...and my first brush. Overall I'm satisfied. It's far from perfect. Knot isn't glued in, I'm not sure if I want that one in it or not. That's a 20mm. I'm thinking it needs at least a 22mm. Handle is a little taller than I like, and not really a shape I'm into. But, first one, really wasn't expecting much. So I got more than I expected.

Attachments

• $SDC11988.jpg
    $SDC11988.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 345

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Very nice brush, especially for a 1st try; if you're not satisfied with that, I can't wait to see the 1st one you are satisfied with. It it shadows that make it look angular?

Top Bottom