What's new

My Lathe is here

Some progress photos.....

I'm having a blast with this thing. I've ruined a blank or two. A couple of my handles are the shape they are because I goofed on the shape I was trying to make. But I'm happy in the end with them. They are not perfect, I have much learning to do, but they are functional and pleasing to look at.

The thing is, once completed, I don't want to get rid of them.

proxy.php

I affectionately call this one Number Four. It has a 24mm Short Loft Silvertip from TGN in it.

proxy.php

This one started as a clone of the Simpson Duke. Then a big chunk exploded out of the side, and it became what it is.
It's the diamondwood. That is some HARD stuff. 22mm Finest Fan

proxy.php

This is Number Three. This is a short handle, I should have put something in the photo to compare. I like short handles. The knot is another 24mm Short Loft.
This was also going to be a Duke clone and I goofed. So I got this.

proxy.php

This unfinished one I just turned this morning. Loving it. This was two pieces I epoxied together. I was just waiting on it to break apart, but it didn't, and I'm super stoked about this one.

proxy.php

Just turned this one last night. I got this two tone stock from Rudy V. I love the two tone retro looking stuff.

I have a 3/8" pen blank, pre drilled with a tube in it already. I kind of ordered it accidentally when I meant to get a 7mm. Where do I get a mandrel or whatever I need to turn it ?? Is there a bushing or something I can use on my 7mm pen mandrel ??

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Bob, really like the #4 and the butterscotch. If you consider selling either or both, PM me. The black/green and black/silver are also pretty sweet.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Those are beautiful. If you keep churning them out like this, Bob, you'll be overtaken by brushes and HAVE to sell some! :lol:

Those are beautiful. If you keep churning them out like this, Bob, you'll be overtaken by brushes and HAVE to sell some! :lol:

I fully intend to sell them. It's hard sometimes when I like them, but that's the way it goes. I'm a Simpsons man. I have already sold two and have two more listed on ebay.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Bob, just got he number 4 and the butterscotch. If number 4 is one of the ones you made a mistake on, I can't wait til I see one that came out like you want it to. It is gorgeous and that's the least I can say about it; an excellent interpretation of the Persian Jar design. The butterscotch is also beautiful. You asked for my opinions and I'll give my first, preuse thoughts. The knots are incredibly soft on the palm of my hand, but fairly dense with plenty of backbone. Hand feel of both is pretty good, no, that's not quite right...it goes beyond pretty good, to very, very good. The look of number 4, black with some red, very deep red mottling (sp?) Is incredible. If I were to rate it just on the coloring, it would be somewhere around 9 out of 10. Shape rates the same; it is one beauty of a brush. The butterscotch feels slightly nicer in the hand (not much, just a little). Honestly, I'd be hard pressed to rate one over the other; different, but equal; on a scale of 10, I couldn't rate them more than a half point apart, and I donut know which would be higher. Love the handle designs, love the knots. We'll see in the next few days how they lather up some Cella and Mama Bear.

Just to be clear, Bob did not solicit me to buy these. When I saw his pics of them, I PMed him and told him that if he was selling them, I wanted them. When he was done knotting them, he sent me pics and pointed out what he considered a flaw in the butterscotch; if he hadn't pointed it out, I would probably never noticed it.

Kudos, Bob, serious KUDOS. As I said, can't wait to see one you didn't make a mistake on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom