What's new

My Lathe is here

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
That's very nice! If it's too tall for your liking, can you not remount it in the lathe and take some of the top down, then drill it deeper? I've never used a lathe, so maybe this is not possible.

You will be competing with Rudy soon! Nice work!

That is a very nice looking brush. How long did it take you to make the handle?
Turning it out didn't take but 30 minutes probably. Finishing it took several hours. Fitting the two halves together right took a good bit of time too. In all, I'd guess 3 hours.

Here's where I need some help.

In the photo below, you see what looks like white dust on the base of this handle. It's smooth as glass and I can't seem to get those "blemishes" out.
I'm finishing them with a 320 grit, followed by 600 and 1200. In the end, I'm wet sanding, which is a vast improvement over dry sanding. Then I'm taking Turtle wax rubbing compound to them. But none of it is getting these blemishes out. Any suggestions ? Maybe a speed change. I had it on 3500, I slowed it down to 2 thousand and something for this last round. The only other choice is around 1500 rpm.

proxy.php

Optimal speed for turning phenolics is 1250 with HSS tools,get an arbor for the lathe you can attach a buffing wheel to.
As a final polish use a soft cotton wheel (dedicated) and white diamond compound,go easy tho,no heat.

Very nice Bob and the pearl is gorgeous.

Referring to your statement about having some tools on the way for drilling after finishing, what did you get ?

thanks

Very nice Bob and the pearl is gorgeous.

Referring to your statement about having some tools on the way for drilling after finishing, what did you get ?

thanks

No, I have tools on the way which will allow me to drill before turning the handle. I have a threaded mandrel but can't use it as yet because it's not a Morse Taper. So I got me a drill chuck coming that is a morse taper, then my threaded mandrel will go in it.

Optimal speed for turning phenolics is 1250 with HSS tools,get an arbor for the lathe you can attach a buffing wheel to.
As a final polish use a soft cotton wheel (dedicated) and white diamond compound,go easy tho,no heat.

Thank you. That no heat part is one thing I've been doing wrong for sure.

Here's where I need some help.

In the photo below, you see what looks like white dust on the base of this handle. It's smooth as glass and I can't seem to get those "blemishes" out.
I'm finishing them with a 320 grit, followed by 600 and 1200. In the end, I'm wet sanding, which is a vast improvement over dry sanding. Then I'm taking Turtle wax rubbing compound to them. But none of it is getting these blemishes out. Any suggestions ? Maybe a speed change. I had it on 3500, I slowed it down to 2 thousand and something for this last round. The only other choice is around 1500 rpm.

proxy.php

Not sure what material it is on that handle, but i used to do stuff with plexi glass , and to get the edges smooth and more glass like I would heat it with a blow torch (just kind of fan it over the rough edges and it would melt the dustier file marks to a glass like finish)

I'm learning just a wee bit about turning in college, it doesn't seem all that hard if you have a life-size lathe and you don't have crazy tolerances of tenths of milimeters... Of course on those mini-lathes, you don't have a bed for the tools and stuff. But with similar equipment like in school, I figure it could be possible to pull a nice one off. Damn shame we can't have extra-curricular time on the machines :sad:

What is best for sharpening the chisel ? I planned on using a flat file.

I expect a file to skate on a good quality chisel. If it bites, this does not indicate a bad chisel, just softer material, and it may require sharpening more frequently. A file will also put an uneven edge on if it bites.

I have used a grinder followed by a common fine knife hone (not quite a 1k) or a fine diamond file (Smith's turn back 2 sided diamond file, about $20 anywhere) with good results for wood turning. Since I have better hones now, I prepared a couple chisels on a coticule and will compare to the diamond file finish.

Phil

Top Bottom