What's new

My Homemade BR AS samples - weigh in HERE!

While I wish I got that awesome looking jar, I just received a simple straight-sided glass cylindrical bottle.

But that's is OK, because like in some many other things "It is what is INSIDE that counts!"

Phil

I got mine today!

Pure awesome-ness! Just as I expected.
Really worth it guys, you owe it to yourselves to try it!

First, I must apologize for not commenting on the new sample when I said I would, but there was a death in the family and I recently got a job after being unemployed for nearly 3 years.

In a sentence. This stuff is all win.
I've used a number of Bay Rums since my first sample from the Capt and I can say that none of them were as nice as the Capt's. I'm not just saying that either. I was a firm believer that nothing could hold a candle to St. Lucia, but I was surprised after giving this stuff a go.

A sniff at the bottle, smelled similar to the orginal sample. Poured it into my hand, rubbed my hands together and it felt smooth and light. I smelled my hands and the "wow" hit me. I poured more into my hand, rubbed my hands together and rubbed it around my face and head. (I shave my head)

It felt great. Very clean, light, not tacky, very smooth and didn't dry up before I had a chance to work it around. Good sting, awesome smell that lasts as long as an aftershave should and doesn't dry your skin. My skin feels very smooth, clean and hydrated. It smelled so good that I poured more into my hand and rubbed it over my neck and arms.

I'm not a cologne guy and was never into aftershaves until I started with the DE razors. I never wanted to smell like an old man or a girly man, so I just avoided them all. I can use this and not be afraid of smelling like grampa or some nancy boy. It's manly, strong enough to be noticed, but not overpowering.

My g/f loved the last sample, but she said she likes this one more and I agree. This is like a new improved formula. I'm glad the Capt ran into problems with the ATF if this is what came of it. Amazing scent and performance.

Again, I apologize for not reviewing sooner.
To the Capt. I can't believe you knocked my favorite bay rum off the shelf. My order will be in shortly. Also, I'm excited that a member here could create such a great product. Congrats.

I really liked it too. I have read the whole thing thread, but it really is nice. The thing I noticed is that it really seemed to sooth the skin, and moisten the skin as well. I may have to order it once I go through a few more things, I have almost no room in my bathroom so I can't keep much variety. Again really soothes the skin, not sure if it is the essential oils or what, perhaps clove? I was thinking about thinning out the last bit with a bit of witch-hazel, just to make it last a few times more!

The Captains Choice is one of my all time favorites!

It's my wifes favorite too! Everytime I put it on she says and I quote, "Mmm, you smell nice! Is that the Captains stuff? I like that one!"

Works everytime! :wink2:

The Captains Choice is one of my all time favorites!

It's my wifes favorite too! Everytime I put it on she says and I quote, "Mmm, you smell nice! Is that the Captains stuff? I like that one!"

Works everytime! :wink2:

You are too kind and your wife apparently has a lot of fellow wives who agree from what I read.

Free samples are available to anyone who has not already received one. I only ask that you give me feedback after trying my sample. More recently members have been buying it outright by simply reading this thread - no free sample necessary. The multitude of testimonies is very convincing and I am grateful for each of you following up as you pledged to do.

I have an update and it is good news. I have shipped enough and learned enough that I have been able to cut my costs and thus reduce the price for you. It is now available for $22.00 CONUS and I pay the shipping! (Prior to this it was $26.50 per bottle - $19.00 per five ounce bottle PLUS shipping of $7.50.)

Captain Pre-Capsize

I think you have a hit here with this. BOTH SWMBO and my daughter love it!! :jump:
So do I.
PM sent for ordering info. :a29:

I love the bottle too. I am very excited. Thanks for your hard work.:thumbup:

Steve

Guys, I got my bottles of Captain's Choice Bay Rum today! Very fast service, I assure
you. Great presentation! (If I did it right, a picture of the bottle will magically appear
below.) And the best part is IN the bottle. This stuff is really great; a unique scent---
the only one SWMBO really likes.

Try it, you won't be sorry.

John

proxy.php

I PM'd Captain Pre-Capsize my thoughts when I received my sample, but I'll just state again on this thread that Captain's Choice is great stuff. Minimal burn with a scent that lingers longer than Dominica (and burns A LOT less). The product makes my face feel really moisturized.

I definitely plan on ordering a bottle when my sample runs out.

Hey, I just got mine :) . Didn't know you had a thread in the BST Captain. I'll just say, this is the best bay rum AS I have tried (tried maybe four others). It smells great, not super strong, feels great on the face (it turned my "mreh" shave yesterday into a much better one), I have had several women come up to me and ask me about it and then tell me it smells great. Doesn't get much better than that (well unless you are married or taken, then that might be a problem lol). Seriously though Captain you did a phenomenal job and this stuff works great, smells great, comes at a great price and how could you go wrong when you have someone willing to send out a sample, you can tell he takes pride in what he makes. And definitely he should be proud of this awesome product!

I have had several women come up to me and ask me about it and then tell me it smells great. Doesn't get much better than that (well unless you are married or taken, then that might be a problem lol).
Oooooooooo! I want one! I want one!
I'm married, but feels good to get attention...keeps SWMBO knowing she's got a hot one!

YEOWWWW! I came home from work to more PMs than I have ever had before. "What the...." I looked at this thread and Whoaaa - NOW I know. It is those darn satisfied customers again.:biggrin1: Funny how things come to mind but the first thought I had was the scene from the movie, Jaws where Roy Scheider says, "We're gonna need a bigger boat." I'm gonna need bigger batches I can just tell.

I will get to each of you who PM'd me but please be patient as I am like a one-armed paper hanger at this point. I thought that first the community here would be well served by me updating what has transpired in the past few months and what is to come very shortly. So here goes:

The formula is a hit and is set in concrete now but much around it has changed. The bottle in the nearby pic is illegal since a bottle cannot be shipped if it does not have a screw top. And that is a shame as I really like it but it can only can be sealed with a cork. It is not as ergonomic to hold in the hand as our new style although the shape is kind of cool. Ah well, out with the old and in with the new.

I now have a new bottle with screw top that holds four ounces which seems to be an industry standard - it cradles very securely in the palm (unlike the old one). My label has been redesigned (it is now waterproof for those wet hands) and there is a second label that goes on the back listing the ingredients. I do have a few five ounce screw top bottles left that we considered at one point so a few of you will get a one ounce bonus but I think there are only three left.

My status: I was approved as a Vendor just recently. Hats off to Luc for his endurance walking me through it all and being willing to give me time. Quite rightly this very thread was moved from where it originally appeared which was the Aftershave forum. It became commercial in nature and had no business in a general forum like Aftershave. It was my fault that it took a wrong turn but we all learn, eh?

Our website. My web guru was working last night 'til midnight and a very rudimentary start exists. I will be refining it and even when all done it won't be fancy but will do the job. Then he will take it live. A major part of it will be the testimonials - they will have an entire tab dedicated. Mind you, there are a ton of them and only some will be listed but there are a bunch! When it is live I will notify here (I assume it is allowed - mods weigh in if not permitted, not certain the rules)

The photography. My guy will be doing the pics here locally which I will then send to my out of state web guru to put up. There will almost certainly be much back and forth until it is right and I am anal so this may take a couple weeks or so. At the suggestion of the photographer - a creative type that is very gifted - I have changed how I finish off the bottle. I had been tying down a beautiful purple cloth with taffeta and it looked very "craft-like." In discussions with him that will be dropped. Instead, for purely aesthetic reasons each bottle will have the head dipped into special bottling wax and instead of looking like a craft it will just oooose class. The wax is dark green and it just arrived today for me to begin playing with.

You will be able to go to the site and pay with Paypal. I will need a moderator to help me get a hot link on my signature line here on the forum that takes an interested party to the site. Best part is I will offer not only the bottle but a small glass vial sample for probably $2.00 including shipping. Once folks try the sample (as YOU all know) you just gotta have a whole bottle!

All for now but will update this if I think of anything else. Now, on to the melting wax and all those PMs... Whewwwww!

Last edited:
The bottle in the nearby pic is illegal since a bottle cannot be shipped if it does not have a screw top. And that is a shame as I really like it but it can only can be sealed with a cork. It is not as ergonomic to hold in the hand as our new style although the shape is kind of cool. Ah well, out with the old and in with the new.

I now have a new bottle with screw top that holds four ounces which seems to be an industry standard - it cradles very securely in the palm (unlike the old one). My label has been redesigned (it is now waterproof for those wet hands) and there is a second label that goes on the back listing the ingredients. I do have a few five ounce screw top bottles left that we considered at one point so a few of you will get a one ounce bonus but I think there are only three left.
This sounds like a show stopper to me. :nono: I really wanted one of those bottles. :crying:
OK I guess I will take one of the new bottles if I have too. :w00t: :001_tt1:

Now to convince myself to be patient........ :cursing:

Looking forward to my turn... grumble, grumble, grumble, LOL :lol1:
Seriously it is worth the wait, now I must ration my sample.

Steve

BTW the sample size you sent out originally is an excellent travel size bottle, and has been refilled several times.

Phil

I am a little late to the game but I actually stumbled upon this thread by accident but glad I did! I have been looking for the "perfect" bay rum for quite a while now and I will say I have finally found it. St Johns was my favorite but the cost is just insane. So I made a blind purchase since this stuff sounded like exactly what I was looking for.

All I can say is WOW! I am pretty picky when it comes to Bay Rum and this met all of my criteria. What I love is that there is no overwhelming single note as is the issue with most of BR's. Most have too much clove, cinnamon, rum, allspice, etc. This is one of those that you enjoy all without any particular note overpowering the other. The other part I love is its longevity which is normally non existant with most bay rum aftershaves. Performance wise it is perfect. No burn and soothes the skin perfect. I will definitely be back for more. If you are looking for a wonderful Bay Rum please look no further and order a bottle of Captain's choice.

Figured I'd pop in again to say this stuff ROCKS. I am a BR junky, and most of my AS's last years, because I have a rather large rotation. THis stuff, I dunno, it must not seal properly and be evaporating or something...becuase more than half the bottle is gone already (in case anyone doubts, this is tongue in cheek, the "evaporation" here is just the like "evaporation" that happens faster to older scotches, or good liquor that is left on top of the bar instead of in the cabinet....)

Might need to place another order soon!!

Top Bottom