What's new

My Homemade BR AS samples - weigh in HERE!

Hey guys, I am already hearing from some who have received their free samples. (Edited to add: if you want a free sample, send me your mailing address via PM and I'll get one out to you.)

For feedback you can do one of two things:

1. Weigh in here for all to read OR,

2. Simply PM me with your feedback.

By all means use the sample a couple of times and ask SWMBO what she thinks before you get back to me.

I am looking for two specific areas of feedback:

First, your overall impressions of the AS. Please be candid. The very nature of this site is how very encouraging it is and that is a good thing. However, I don't want positive feedback for the sake of being kind and encouraging. If you don't care for it, let me know. If you really do like it then by all means say so. And tell me what it is you like about it. The start? The finish? The moisturizing? Etc.

Secondly, any qualities you wish it had. More burn? Last longer? Is it too strong? Less moisturizing? You get the idea.

Thanks for your time and evaluation.

Last edited:
Your sample arrived today--it took me a minute to realize that the Ronald Reagan-stamped tube was from you! I was worried that a group of angry tea-partiers had finally figured out my address and shipped a pipe bomb to my commie ***. Luckily, I was in for a much better but no less explosive experience when I opened it up.

Smells like some mighty fine medicine in the container, but we'll see how it fares tomorrow morning!

*Edit* On a purely aesthetic level, it looks how I mentally think a bay rum should look... a nice rummy amber. I know that probably has little basis in reality, but many bay rum companies also color it amber.

Last edited:
J

Jonnyboy

Hey guys, I am already hearing from some who have received their free samples. Here is where you can let me know what you think of it. By all means use the sample a couple of times - see what SWMBO thinks.

I am looking for two specific areas of feedback:

First, your overall impressions of the AS. Please be candid. The very nature of this site is how very encouraging it is and that is a good thing. However, I don't want positive feedback for the sake of being kind and encouraging. If you don't care for it, let me know. If you really do like it then by all means say so. And tell me what it is you like about it. The start? The finish? The moisturizing? Etc.

Secondly, any qualities you wish it had. More burn? Last longer? Is it too strong? Less moisturizing? You get the idea.

Thanks for your time and evaluation.

Is there a chance to get a sample to try? Would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Got it today, used it today.

After my shower, I shaved with an Arko shave stick and Kiss My Face "superlather" combo. Two pass shave with some ATG to smooth out the cheeks. Followed by Thayer's Superhazel (as always). Once that dried down, I splashed on a liberal amount of your Bay Rum AS.

Noticed a little alcohol-burn, not unpleasant. The scent was perfect for me -- bay rum with its typical spicy warmth, but not nearly as sweet as some. Maybe "cleaner" is a good description, as in "not cloying." Some Bay Rums (attention Bigelow) are really, really sweet and not something I would use. My wife and children liked the scent -- my wife said "Christmas" and my children said "cookies." I don't get either, just a very nice, classic bay rum that I would use frequently.

6 hours later and I can still smell it a little, so longevity is better than many bay rums. Great job! :thumbup1:

First off, LOVE the scent. What is it that is different than other bay Rums? Well, my unskilled nose can't pick it up, but I know I love it. I can see the Christmas and cookies mentioned above, but wouldn't say I neccesarily would say that's it. I wish I could still smell it now to give further impressions.

On me, for some reason, the scent didn't last...I think I may have been a tad conservative in my application, as I didn't get any burn at all. The Tuesday shave for me is a good test of a new aftershave, as I for a very close shave monday after a weekend of growth, and if I'm going to have irritiation, it's tuesday.
My skin is left feeling very smooth, mostiurized and conditioned. Perhaps not as "tight" as after some aftershaves, but that isn't neccesarily a bad thing.

I look forward to tomorrow's shave, using a bit more. My only fear would be using too much and runnig out earlier than I have too!

I will say this...I have spent a good deal of money on Bay Rum, and I would be happy to spend more to use this product more often. If I had to place it right now, after only one day's use...I would put it at #2 on my rather long list, behind only the Ogallala BR and Sandalwood.

Great job! Fantastic product, and really, keep me in mind if you intend to start production for sale (as a matter of fact, even if you don't, I wouldn't be ashamed to ask you to make some for me!)

I recieved mine yesterday, I didnt use it yet so I cant comment on performace aspects but I can comment on the smell. Straight out the tube it smells really good. You did an amazing job getting the spice right. Allspice and clove... I cant remember if you ever said you put the two in but I get a hint of both. Its a beautiful amber color. If it performs half as good as it smells I would consider buying it.

Received mine last night and used it this AM.

My thoughts:
-Nice sized sample, I'll definitely get several uses out of the small vial
-Great color
-The scent - a nice bay rum, citrus and I get a subtle hint of pepper or something spicier?
-Used it after a two pass straight shave this AM, a good "zing" on the skin, not a lot of "hot" burn, very comfortable, very smooth feeling, sweet spot for me in texture category
-Wifey thought it smelled very good (she is a bay rum fan), she could tell the difference between this and others.
- I like the lack of clove-y-ness, too much clove in other bay rums kinda kills it for me

Overall, great product, based on this one use, and several smells last night, I would buy a full bottle.

I agree with the above posters. It smells great out of the bottle.
I dipped in the veg today so I will have to splash it on tomorrow.

Well, the title says it all. This is my foray into the Bay Rum world and I have to say, I'm a fan (at least of this AS:thumbup1:).

First off, nice sized sample and classy presentation (the glass bottle was a nice touch, kind of shows me you're serious about this).

Smell - Nice and smooth. My initial impressions upon opening the bottle were mixed as I thought it smelled VERY rummy. Applied however, it evened out and was smooth and a bit spicy. Very light, which is nice, not cloying at all (think Captain Morgan's spiced rum -- it wasn't like that AT ALL)

Alcohol - Nice little burn that faded QUICKLY. Just enough to let you know it's in there.

Moisture/skin condition - At first felt a little sticky, but I'm at work now (approximately 40 minutes after application) and it's glassy smooth and my face feels great. Tight, but not dry.

Bottom line, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Nicely done all around and thanks for the opportunity to try it out.

Based on the condition of my skin, I'd be interested to know what ingredients you put in it for the moisturizing properties as they would be the stuff I'd look for in other splashes from here on out. :thumbup:

I want to make one more comment on the scent. Vanilla is in there, or at least I smelled some.

Used it again this morning. And, I still like it. Would not hesitate to buy a bottle.

I want to make one more comment on the scent. Vanilla is in there, or at least I smelled some.

Used it again this morning. And, I still like it. Would not hesitate to buy a bottle.

Yes, Vanilla! That's what it was! I just could not for the life of me put my finger on it.

When I received mine, I immediately opened and smelled it. It reminded me of Dominica (or at least how I remember it smelling). The next morning, I decided to make it a bay rum kind of day. So, I took out the Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soap (the AS smelled real close to the soap). After shaving, I showered and splashed on some the AS. There was a nice burn (which faded quickly) and a slight linger for a little while. All in all, a very nice bay rum.

My wife said she could still smell it on our way to work. So it lasts at least 2 hours.

I'll ask her again at lunch.

I generally don't care for bay rum, this is the exception.

I like the scent, performance, and moisturizing. Are you going to be sell bottles? Or can I send you glass decant to fill for a fee?

CPC,

I know you asked us to use it a couple of times and ask SWMBO about it, but here are my 1st-day initial thoughts...

Used the BR for the first time today and I was impressed! The scent was very nice, and not nearly as overpowering as my other BR AS’s. Since I started to branch out and try other AS’s, SWMBO has made a few very vocal points to mention that my new stuff is super-strong and that I apply WAY to much in the morning! “You STINK!” has been a common statement as of late… Obviously she hasn’t found a full appreciation of my new scents, and to be fair to her, I haven’t either with a few of them! Anyway, this morning she made NO comment about the scent! I didn't tell her this was a new scent, but I assumed she would rant anyway just because she knew I would have something different, but nothing! So I give it an A+ just for that fact!

It felt very nice going on, with little to no burn. I like the burn, so if that could be adjusted, all the better! And while the scent is nice, it didn’t stay around very long at all. I make this statement after having worn Clubman a few times this week, so my olfactory system may still be in Old Man Powder-Fresh Scent Shock…

And to be fair, I was a bit timid with the amount I used because I didn’t know how I would like it, so I’ll be a bit more aggressive with the amount being applied on my next shave. If it still fades quickly I would suggest the next batch and all future batches be formulated to last longer.

In summary:

PROS

Free sample – Who can complain about that?

Nice scent – Not too sweet and not too “clovey”.

Helped with razor burn – I’ll make it a point to notice this in future shaves.
It did seem to ease any sign of burn I might have noticed, but I did have a fantastic BBS shave this morning with no issues! I’m still a Noob, and I just put in a new Derby today, so my technique and gear haven’t been finalized just yet. I’m also working on my brush/soap application, which could have a major effect on RB as well…

SWMBO didn’t comment – There could be several reasons for this…

1. She thought it smelled nice, so she didn’t comment because it might diminish the effect of her earlier comments and make them seem insignificant, thusly resulting in me applying EVEN MORE product!

2. She was already pissed about something I have done, or haven’t done, and didn’t want to speak to me in general. I’m sure I’m not alone here…

3. Her nose was stopped up from allergies.

CONS

Staying power – Could use a bit more IMO, but further testing will ensue. This might not be a true CON since we are talking about AS and not cologne…

Burn – Would like to have more burn, but others may note this as a PRO.

SWMBO didn’t comment – See above as this could go either way…

Hope all this helps, CPC and thanks again for your generous gift! You can count me in for a bottle of the final product!

The scent lingered on me from about 7am - 11am...so 4 hours for an AS isn't bad (though at 11am it was VERY faint).

I really like this scent. the clove smells great.
Not to much burn for me. I could use more!
So far its been on for an hour and its showing good staying power.

Great job!
:thumbup:

I am not a fan of bay rums usually but I like this.

Top Bottom