What's new

My Homemade BR AS samples - weigh in HERE!

Hey Captain!

So it seems that your Bay Rum is a soaring success here with those lucky enough to have received a sample, myself included!

It was very disappointing, not just as a potential consumer of your product, but as a fellow member empathizing with your troubles, to hear that you couldn't legally sell your Bay Rum. Terribly disappointing! We know it was expensive and time consuming for you to make it and send out those samples. It would be a shame to have to scrap it and be out all that time and money.

But an idea occured to me just now. Since you can't sell it, perhaps we who are all interested in your BR could offer to cover the "shipping and handling" cost of a free larger size bottle? Just so it doesn't go to waste. :sneaky2: I'm sure that "shipping and handling" cost would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 - $20, which many of us were willing to pay for a bottle. :sneaky2:

What do the rest of you, and the Captain himself, think of this idea?

Hey Captain!

So it seems that your Bay Rum is a soaring success here with those lucky enough to have received a sample, myself included!

It was very disappointing, not just as a potential consumer of your product, but as a fellow member empathizing with your troubles, to hear that you couldn't legally sell your Bay Rum. Terribly disappointing! We know it was expensive and time consuming for you to make it and send out those samples. It would be a shame to have to scrap it and be out all that time and money.

But an idea occured to me just now. Since you can't sell it, perhaps we who are all interested in your BR could offer to cover the "shipping and handling" cost of a free larger size bottle? Just so it doesn't go to waste. :sneaky2: I'm sure that "shipping and handling" cost would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 - $20, which many of us were willing to pay for a bottle. :sneaky2:

What do the rest of you, and the Captain himself, think of this idea?

I would cover the shipping on an item like this. Good idea. Free larger bottles, I'll pay the "shipping."

I received a sample and have yet to post a review so here goes:

I like it! :biggrin1: I don't get much of the Christmas-ey part, but I do get a bay rum that's a lot fuller than others I've tried. Rather than just a light bay scent like most others, it is a rich, clean scent that lingers a little while longer than the others I've tried.

Captain, you've got a fine product there. A very nice AS indeed. :thumbup:

Here is the problem: Now that I have what I have been after, I find out it is illegal. Apparently since there is Everclear and rum in the recipe, according to the ATF it isn't aftershave I would be selling.

So now I need to start over with ATF approved ingredients and try to replicate the version you all like so much.

It is possible the five ounce bottle will sell for $19.00 or so plus shipping. Is that something you would buy at that price point?

Cap'n, I've used your sample several times now. I'm assuming it's the version without cloves but I think it smells so much like Russian Tea that I imagine it must have some, even a little, maybe. Regardless, I find the overall utility of it to be very good. There was a little burn, but not much (which gives me the illusion that I shave very well for a beginner DE shaver!). It also moisturizes quite well, taking care of any irritation or dryness. Finally, the scent doesn't last long so it doesn't interfere with my personal fragrances.

At first I was kind of middle-of-the-road on the actual scent but I admit tht I've grown to like it very much. I'm not big on bay rum scents in general but your version is quite likable. Generally I shave at night so the actual scent isn't an issue but lately I've enjoyed a shower, a shave (a mojito) and being lulled to sleep by the almost drinkable scent.

In sum, I'd buy a bottle.

To get around the alcohol, though, would it be possible to make concentrated versions without the rum and everclear? Users could just add rum, shake, and let sit for however many days until it's ready? Not very practical on our end but very practical on yours. Less liquid means less initial cost and less weight to ship keeping prices down. Just a thought.

Thanks for the sample, please keep us posted on your progress.

To get around the alcohol, though, would it be possible to make concentrated versions without the rum and everclear? Users could just add rum, shake, and let sit for however many days until it's ready? Not very practical on our end but very practical on yours. Less liquid means less initial cost and less weight to ship keeping prices down. Just a thought.

This is a great idea. I for one would enjoy the "process" of diluting down a portion into a decant. (the mad scientist in me I guess) Maybe sell the concentrate, put a small list of directions, and a decanting bottle. (same size as the other bottle?). Maybe make sure you clearly mark as "concentrate only" or something of that nature.

First post for me in eons.

My Thoughts on the AS: I love the scent, most Bay Rum scents I'm not to keen on, but this one was wonderful. When applied after a shave, the burn is quick and relatively minor and a few minutes after, the overall face feel is great! Both smooth and all signs of irritation dissipate. The scent lasted for a couple hours for me, but it's hard to say as I don't have any volunteers at work to smell me....

Thanks for the great product, and I hope you can find a way around the legal issues that have come up.

If you do come up with an alternate method of distributing (such as a concentrate as suggested) count me in for buying a bottle. :thumbup:

~JD

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, I received my sample late last week, but since my allergies have been bothering me, I have put off using this just because I couldn't smell it! I am all better, so I used it for my last two shaves

First of all, this is a great product. When I first opened it, I thought "Christmas!" but not necessarily in a good way. The good thing is when you put it on, it smells completely different after about a minute. It turns very sweet and light. The smell in the bottle isn't really that important.

It feels good going on. Like someone said, not like scented water. This has some substance to it. It left my face feeling smooth and warm.

I would definitely buy a bottle if this ever hits the market.

Well, that's my 23 cents. Nice spicy bay rum!

:thumbup:

I agree- several minutes after application it really blossoms well.

Been enjoying this for a while now. I don't like it daily, but I do enjoy it. I hope the legal issues get cleared up soon.

Phil

Well I'm thinking I got the Clove version but I'm not too sure(mine was sent around the 6th). I'm not a wine enthusiast so I won't be saying it has this and blossoms to that.
The only thing I have to say is that I really, really enjoyed the scent in the bottle and even more so once I applied it. My wife liked it as well and there's only a few scents she typically likes on me. I do like the moisturizing effect it seems to have but I do have to agree that a little bit more burn would be good with this. Of course my idea of burn, or lack thereof, may be misleading as I've been applying this after running my alum block on my face and head so when this hits the cheeks they've already had a good burn from that.
Now that I finally found the thread again so I could post my thoughts on the A/S I see that there's legal issue's due to some of the ingredients. I hope your able to work the recipe out with other ingredients or maybe sell a concentrate as someone suggested with directions for what alcohol to add and how long to let it sit for as this is something I would be willing to pay a few coins for when I can afford to do so.
Thanks again for the sample and if you do get another version you need tested like others before me I'd be more than willing to be a guinea pig again for ya. I'm trying to be somewhat sparing in how much I use so that it lasts longer, unlike the masters I bought where I just pour a bunch in my hand.

Couldn't have asked for quicker shipping or anything! Great deal here...

Loved the product, it was actually my first after shave to ever be used.... I was hesitant to try it, because of the alcohol content. I was scared that it was going to burn me alive, but it was a surprisingly nice feel. I am digging the burn! It wasn't overly sharp (subtle but enough), and rubbed in very nicely. I poured some in my hands, rubbed together, and then massaged into my neck working up to the my face. I then let it dry and rubbed another layer in, which still burned, but a little less the second time.

I like the scent... it's something different! I, like others on here, didn't really have a volunteer to smell, but I'll get one soon and get back to you!

Although it was my first after shave to be used, I think I would definitely buy a bottle if the issues are resolved.... and in fact, if you want to try your hand at different scents, formulas, etc... i would even be willing to pay the shipping costs for a small bottle like this one, because it's a cheaper alternative for me to try different scents also!

Very pleased, and although I have no basis to reference the scent, I do like it a lot! Spicy scent, clean finish, and somewhat lingering! It felt great on my face! It didn't feel dry at the least bit, although I did still use my nivea sensitive balm.

Thanks again, and keep me in mind for future samples, even if I am paying!
Cheers

Well Gentlemen, it has been a couple of months now and I have an update.

My homemade BR AS has a name, "Captain's Choice Bay Rum" and it is now available. It is a LONG story with many trial batches thrown out and money burned through but it is essentially the original formula with a few modifications based upon your feedback. At this point my SWMBO would find any purchases MOST encouraging - she has seen the expense side, now she is looking for the revenue side of things!

This refined version is somewhat lighter in color which is pleasing in its own way plus it has a bit more burn and no cloves. I did send five samples to some of you and the feedback on this refined version matched my opinion. Namely that its character doesn't scream "Christmas" as much (less cinnamon and clove but added citrus) and that you see wanting to use it beyond winter - that it is now a fall, winter, spring scent. This was my goal.

Some preliminary research showed that there are many aftershaves using grain alcohol already in the marketplace. I don't see why my five ounce bottles (diluted by other ingredients) should be a threat to mankind. So I'm going ahead with the GOOD stuff.
Cost is $19.00 per bottle. Postage is all over the map (literally) depending on where you live. I've decided to charge a flat rate of $7.50 which is in the middle. I lose a bit on a California or New York purchase but make a bit on a fellow midwest purchase - it all evens out.

I wanted to notify the group with this post to my original thread for the sake of awareness. If you want to buy some, PM me with your email address. Pay Pal only. I invoice, you pay and then I ship the finest bay rum you have ever had. And it comes with a bonus note from the Captain himself! First come, first served. Mind you, this is made in small batches and I have a head start already but if I run out, hang in there - more is on the way.

By all means post any questions you may have any.

Cap'n

Last edited:
Guys, I got my bottles of Captain's Choice Bay Rum today! Very fast service, I assure
you. Great presentation! (If I did it right, a picture of the bottle will magically appear
below.) And the best part is IN the bottle. This stuff is really great; a unique scent---
the only one SWMBO really likes.

Try it, you won't be sorry.

John

proxy.php

I got mine today. Not only do I love the scent, but the presentation is very well done too.

Congratulations on an excellent start. I'm looking forward to being able to buy your bay rum long into the future!

Lewis

It is here! It smells awesome, just like the sample I received (I got a late sample) I will try it out tomorrow and make sure. I love the packaging and the "letter" (my daughter called it a treasure map)

Thank you

Phil

That is a classy looking jar...can't wait till my 2 bottles get here.

And, I'm sure my daughter would love to have a treasure map. Haha!

Top Bottom