What's new

My Homemade BR AS samples - weigh in HERE!

Can't wait to get my sample! I like nice smelling things. I will definitely give it a thorough review (Although, all these positive reviews may subconsciously skew my opinion before I even try)!

The price seems high, but hey, if that's due to cost of the inputs, then that's fine with me. Good things cost money (usually). As long as I'm paying for quality product, and not your new Bentley, then I'd be happy to pay it. (In about two or three months after I get my phat raise that's been promised to me)! But, that still depends on the sample (which subconsciously, I already like).

Sorry to hear about the legal stuff...

FWIW, I would Definitely buy a bottle if/when it becomes available, and $20 is not a bad price for a quality product, handmade, etc. Many folks round here spend hundreds on AS and colognes and whatnot.

I like it! It arrived Saturday and I used it today. It is light, pleasant, and soothing. The scent before drydown is "unique", and I suspect that will change with the use of SD alcohol.

I was concerned that it frothed slightly when I rubbed my hands together, but it was not sticky on my face.

I hope the legal stuff does not get you down. I would consider this at $20 for 5oz.

Phil

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hey Captain, I think $19 is reasonable. I think the wife agrees, too- she really liked it on me.

Have tried your sample once so far...the scent is very good!!!..but needs needs to be longer lasting..more comments to follow..JC

The scent is exellent but not long lasting it feels good on application unlike the bay rum I have which feels like pretty smelling water when applied yours has a nice feel when applied but the scent does not last long I also noticed you need to shake it before applying as I see some of the components separating in the bottle

"Bay Laurel" is not the "bay" in bay rum. It's pimenta racemosa which is bay tree oil. Yes, it's poisonous but likely not in minute quantities. The idea behind using SD (denatured) alcohol is to make the product immediately "nasty tasting" should someone try to drink it.

Captain, I'm sorry you are having to go through this bureaucrap-tic mess, because your sample product is first rate. Keep us informed of your progress.

You are 100% correct, I need to finish at least 1 coffee before posting

Tried my sample today. I have to say it smells great and just a little burn. I will try it again in the AM for sure. I would buy it for $20!

I also noticed you need to shake it before applying as I see some of the components separating in the bottle

I have not noticed separation. Separation of ingredients is a big negative to me. Having to shake on occasion if it is not used for several days is OK, but having to load it in a paint shaker for each application is not.

Phil

Received my sample today. I have to say it is one of the best BR I've used. Very unique smell. A much lighter clove scent than most other BR. The amber color is VERY rich looking. I liked the sample bottle too!! I'm a buyer when you start production. Very nice job!!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I received another sample, for some reason my samples got delayed by the USPS. Imagine that! Captain graciously sent me another before we knew of the delay. The latest one which I received is his more recent formulation, which does not have the clove scent I previously mentioned in an earlier review in this thread. I like this version better w/o cloves. It still is a very fine product, great color, little to no burn and lasts about two hours. Soothing to the skin, I would buy it at the $20.00 price point if the Capt. can resolve the denatured dilemma and retain the good qualities of his original product. Very nicely done sir!

I'd surely buy it for $20.

I never tried any Bay Rum, but think this is very nice. My g/f likes it and I've used it after every shave. I don't even want to use my Thayers or Aqua Velva anymore. My face is soft and not tacky or dry feeling. Thayers leaves my face sticky and Aqua Velva is so harsh it dries my skin.

Pros:
Clean feeling. Probably it's best quality.
Smell isn't overpowering and lasts plenty long enough for me (5 hours).
Hydrates well. Not sticky or dry, balanced and soothing for my skin type.
My skin feels soft and smooth; which is odd for an alcohol based AS.

Cons:
Not enough sting, just a bit more for me.
Cloves, allspice or cinnamon seems to get all the attention. Clove is a very strong spice. I have no clue what West Indies Bay leaves smell like, so it could be that.
Last, I'm running out of it. :001_huh:

Overall:
Nice clean scent that reminds me of fall and the holidays. It's light warm feeling is nice after cold shaving. I don't know why, but I smell an underlying orange or citrus smell--perhaps it's the brand of rum used?

Again, I would buy this if it was available. I think it would make a very nice fall & winter AS. You'll need to make a lemon and peppermint based spring & summer scent.

Sorry to read of the legal crap. I hope you can work around it without much issue.

Thank you for the great sample, I do enjoy it and look forward to a large bottle. :thumbup:
John

P.S.
Check out rum reviews to help find one that best compliments your recipe. If you buy a spiced rum and add spice to it, it could be too complicated. 10 Cane, Goslings, Mount Gay and Pyrat are all great rums with different characteristics.

The Fifty Best reviews all types of spirits and let you know what to expect from them. No, I'm not a drunk. LOL

Thanks for the sample. I just shaved (2 day beard) and applied the BR. Overall BR scent is good. If I had to change any thing I would bump down the sweet not a notch and bump up the cloves 2 notches and one notch up for burn. I like to feel the burn.
SWMBO likes it and thinks you should change nothing. :tongue_sm

Thanks again for your generous sharing.

Scott, I received my sample today. I was very pleasantly surprised. The juice was very soothing, and smelled great! I would easily pay $ 15-20 for this. Keep up the good work! Thanks again for the free sample, and the glass bottle was a nice touch too.:thumbup:

I honestly can't add anything to whats already been said. The smell is what I wanted a Bay Rum to smell like. And I bet the clove-less version is even better!

The smell has clove, spice, citrus, vanilla, rum not necessarily in that order.

The burn can go either way for me. I was always taught if it burns, that means its working, but after a close shave a little zing is just right.

It lasts just enough, and doesn't waft around all foofy.

My SWMBO loved it. Said it was her favorite so far. I smelled good enough to eat! :thumbup:

Thank you Captain! I hope you get the ATF BS figured out, cause I have $19 waiting to spend!

Well, I received my sample late last week, but since my allergies have been bothering me, I have put off using this just because I couldn't smell it! I am all better, so I used it for my last two shaves

First of all, this is a great product. When I first opened it, I thought "Christmas!" but not necessarily in a good way. The good thing is when you put it on, it smells completely different after about a minute. It turns very sweet and light. The smell in the bottle isn't really that important.

It feels good going on. Like someone said, not like scented water. This has some substance to it. It left my face feeling smooth and warm.

I would definitely buy a bottle if this ever hits the market.

Well, that's my 23 cents. Nice spicy bay rum!

:thumbup:

I would HAPPILY pay $19 for a 5oz bottle of this. I love my sampe so much I am sitting on one application's worth trying to decide when to use it.

I wonder if adding a small amount of a denaturing element to your recipe would suffice? That would be a question for the ATF, of course. Keep us posted!!

Top Bottom