What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

I have several synthetics now: two Stirling synths (24 mm lil brudder and 26 mm Pro), RazoRock 24 mm chrome handle plissoft, and a Turn N Shave quartermoon synthetic. The TnS is my favorite of the lot. Softer than the plissoft style brushes and a bit more scrub. There is less backbone in it actually, but once splayed out it scrubs better. It also splays more easily than the plissofts. All of them are fantastic brushes.

I couldn't figure out why I haven't been able to use up a soap yet until you mentioned how little product you use. That reminded me how much less lather my Stirling Two Band badger makes with a similar load time compared with the synthetics. I've been using them mostly since last fall, so now I think I get why my soaps seem to last forever. Maybe I'll have to switch over to my natural brushes for several months to try to use up my soaps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It’s a good thing I’m content with my Atomic Rocket, cuz you guys could give a fella a bad case of the BADs. Happy Thanksgiving, all.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
syn everywhere.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have several synthetics now: two Stirling synths (24 mm lil brudder and 26 mm Pro), RazoRock 24 mm chrome handle plissoft, and a Turn N Shave quartermoon synthetic. The TnS is my favorite of the lot. Softer than the plissoft style brushes and a bit more scrub. There is less backbone in it actually, but once splayed out it scrubs better. It also splays more easily than the plissofts. All of them are fantastic brushes.

I couldn't figure out why I haven't been able to use up a soap yet until you mentioned how little product you use. That reminded me how much less lather my Stirling Two Band badger makes with a similar load time compared with the synthetics. I've been using them mostly since last fall, so now I think I get why my soaps seem to last forever. Maybe I'll have to switch over to my natural brushes for several months to try to use up my soaps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I've heard really good things about Turn N Shave brushes. They have really nice handles from what I've seen. Seems like you might have to use natural hair brushes to make up room for more soap acquisitions lol. :001_tongu

Raven Koenes

My precious!
It’s a good thing I’m content with my Atomic Rocket, cuz you guys could give a fella a bad case of the BADs. Happy Thanksgiving, all.
Please refer to Mikes meme ^^^^rofl! :laugh: There really are some fantastic synthetic brushes out there. Happy Thanksgiving Spike!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD :001_wub::
Razor: Fatip Ulivo
Blade: GSB (5)
Brush: Omega S10065
Cream: Proraso Wood and Spice
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Gold Splash
025_50.jpg

Well, I finished off my week with perhaps the best and closest shave of the week. It's been a fun week using my Omega S10065. It seems like my synthetic badger rotation came together a whole lot faster then I thought. Instead of trying my APShaveco Silksmoke all week I'll jump right into a proper synthetic badger rotation. This does have its draw backs in getting to know a particular brush well, but I'm sure it will be fine. I'll do my best to give an honest opinion on each brush as I work threw them (despite love at first use syndrome). It will be hard because I already have fallen in love with them. My soap for next week will be Figaro Monsieur Gold with Oud scent and Argan for slickness. I'll continue with the same GSB blade, and I'll be using Osage Rub as a splash.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: GSB (6)
Brush: APShaveco Silksmoke
Cream: Figaro Monsieur Gold
Aftershave: Osage Rub
022_50.jpg

I had a very good start to the week. My Fatip Ulivo is a superb razor as Fatips genuinely tend to be. This was my first use of my APShaveco Silksmoke. It lives up to its name, and it is definitely softer than the Plissoft style knot I've been using. The Silksmoke is a step up. It has all the softness of any of my Silvertips with all of the benefits of a synthetic. This brush has better splay than my Plissoft knot. It is not a lather hog and has very good flow through. It has backbone for exfoliating without being springy at all. It is a brush I could happily use exclusively. This is only my first use, but I'm quite happy with it. My impressions will change or evolve with use. Right now I committed to trying each new APShaveco brush this week, so first impressions are what I can offer. I do know that it is a step above my Plissoft and was very enjoyable. I will also note that going from top tier soaps to a middle of the road soap like TSF's Figaro Monsieur Gold was a downshift. It's okay I've just gotten spoiled. It was slick but lacked the cushion I'm used to.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: GSB (7)
Brush: APShaveco Synbad
024_50.jpg

Today's shave was my normal bbs with dfs on my neck and no irritation to speak of. I'm getting the Figaro Monsieur Gold dialed in quite nicely. The later was slick and thinner the way I like it. This was my first use with the 24mm APShaveco Synbad. It is much denser brush than my Silksmoke. It loaded a lot of soap very quickly. The denseness felt like a wall of pillow on my face. It splays easily and at will like a badger while retaining backbone. It splays easier than the silksmoke which splays easier than my Plissoft. When pressed deeper there was more scrub, almost scritch, and when using the very tips alone it was silky soft. I'd give the edge in overall softness to the Silksmoke. The flow through of product was phenomenal. It does not hog product at all. I had more than enough for three passes, and it easily washed out when cleaning the brush. My biggest complaint is a minor one. Because the knot is so dense it is not as accurate when painting lather like my Silksmoke. On the plus side it loads product more easily than the Silksmoke, and the wall of cushion it offers while face lathering is awesome. It really is a toss up at this point. I think I'd give a slight edge to the Silksmoke, but remember this is only my first impressions having used each brush only once.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
From the way you describe your liking of splay, Cal was right about the Hi-Brush. Splay is not something it does well. It's an excellent "painting brush", and face lathers a face applied Palmolive stick way better than my boars if you just use the tips. It is a very springy brush though, and VERY resistant to splay.

There's a solidity to the brush which is both a pro and a con, depending on usage. For puck soaps, my boar rules, but for travelling with the Palmolive stick, it's absolutely perfect for my needs... but I don't think you'd like it.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Mail call yesterday. My Omega S-Brush master plan is coming together. Three S-Brushes down with two more to go.

Omega S10019 and Omega S10077
002_50.jpg

Here are the Omega S10019, Omega S10065, and Omega S10077 together:
005_50.jpg

They all have a 1mm difference between them in loft or knot size. There is also a difference between them in knot density. This gives each brush a slightly different feel for variety. The S10077 is the least dense and seems softer to the touch.

Mail call yesterday. My Omega S-Brush master plan is coming together. Three S-Brushes down with two more to go.

Omega S10019 and Omega S10077
View attachment 930814
Here are the Omega S10019, Omega S10065, and Omega S10077 together:
View attachment 930816
They all have a 1mm difference between them in loft or knot size. There is also a difference between them in knot density. This gives each brush a slightly different feel for variety. The S10077 is the least dense and seems softer to the touch.
You should be officially the user with the largest number of s-brushes in the forum. Enjoy them man.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
From the way you describe your liking of splay, Cal was right about the Hi-Brush. Splay is not something it does well. It's an excellent "painting brush", and face lathers a face applied Palmolive stick way better than my boars if you just use the tips. It is a very springy brush though, and VERY resistant to splay.

There's a solidity to the brush which is both a pro and a con, depending on usage. For puck soaps, my boar rules, but for travelling with the Palmolive stick, it's absolutely perfect for my needs... but I don't think you'd like it.
Thanks for the explanation Al. My need with a brush is to apply a circular motion then paint. The amount of splay I use is for the most part minimal. I've tried a number of synthetic brush knots now. The one thing I've found that I haven't had an issue with splay on any of them even the tighter ones. I'm beginning to wonder what the issue is all about? I also found my Omega S-Brush springy the first time I used it. Now I don't see it as springy at all. Maybe it is compared to my badgers and boars, but it is something I don't notice now as I've adjusted. Whether I would like it, adjust to it, learn it, or bring out the best in it, I'm not sure at this point given my exposure to a wider range of synthetics. I do know I need to control my bad though lol.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
You should be officially the user with the largest number of s-brushes in the forum. Enjoy them man.
I will enjoy them. You do know my acquisition of the S-Brushes is completely practical and is in no way an obsession? :whistling: The one thing I've found is the switch over from a badger and boar rotation is a lot less expensive than building a decent badger and boar rotation from scratch. It's really time to settle down and enjoy what I have.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: GSB (8)
Brush: APShaveco Tuxedo
030_50.jpg

Today's shave was the best so far this week. I'm finding GSB, a blade I once loved, to be kind of meh now. I'm looking forward to swapping it out with my favorite all time blade the Gillette Platinum. I'm dialing in Figaro Monsieur Gold soap quite nicely. The biggest surprise was my APShaveco Tuxedo. I have heard such mixed reviews about it. I found it loaded a lot of soap with ease and perhaps the easiest. It had a nice wall of softness effect like my Synbad with loads more backbone. It splayed well without effort. It didn't feel like a badger splay like my Synbad and Silksmoke, but it splayed easily and enough none the less. The flow though of product was great as I've found with all synthetics. In a way it reminded me of my Zenith Manchurian knot in performance and feel, but I dare say it is softer. This is a tough race trying to find my favorite APShaveco Synth. This one won my heart right out of the gate as my Silksmoke did.

I will enjoy them. You do know my acquisition of the S-Brushes is completely practical and is in no way an obsession? :whistling: The one thing I've found is the switch over from a badger and boar rotation is a lot less expensive than building a decent badger and boar rotation from scratch. It's really time to settle down and enjoy what I have.
I totally believe and agree with you.

I have put on sale my only badger brush with a reduced price. It is a great brush, but I mostly sold on boars. I have 2 synthetic and the rainbow brush from Yaqi is more than I need. I wanted to get a couple of boars but the latest synth killed my desire temporarily I hope. 2 boars (Proraso and Mondial) and a synth, do all that I need.

The rest I put on sale, not with a lot of luck. :D

By the way, I my prefers blade is the Gillette Platinum too.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: GSB (9)
Brush: APShaveco Cashmere
028_50.jpg

Today's shave was very comfortable and my normal bbs with dfs on m neck. This was my first use with my APShaveco Cashmere. It loaded soap easily as synthetics seem to do. The hairs are thin and super soft, yet there was an underlying slight prickliness like my Synbad. So my Synbad does have the same softness as the Cashmere and are very similar. My Cashmere is not as dense so you do not get that wall of pillow soft feeling. On the other hand the Cashmere is as soft and has pinpoint accuracy while painting. Both brushes have good splay and excellent product flow through. The slight prickliness is not exactly scritch, so I'll put it up to having scrub. It is the same underlying feeling I get from my Plissoft brush though not as pronounced in the Cashmere or Synbad. All four brushes I have from APShaveco are definitely keepers, and though the variations between each brush is slight, as far as softness, there is enough difference to keep my rotation interesting.

At this point my top two are the Silksmoke and the Tuxedo. I think anyone interested in synthetic shaving brushes would be doing themselves a favor by getting a Silksmoke. The Silksmoke is soft and splays well without the underlying Plissoft feel. It also has pinpoint accuracy while painting. The Tuxedo is not as soft but it does not have the underlying prickly feeling of a Plissoft either. It has a wall of Pillow soft feel as well. It is also dense with a lot of backbone. I don't know yet which I prefer between the Cashmere and Synbad. The wall of pillow cushion of the Synbad is very nice along with the ease of splay of a badger, and the pin point accuracy of the Cashmere is spot on. All four APShaveco brushes are worth getting imo. I just have a personal preference for the Silksmoke and Tuxedo for the reasons stated above. Tomorrow I will revisit my APShaveco Synbad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom