What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
:letterk1:
giphy.gif

giphy1.gif

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Mail Call today. My two newest additions to my brush collection arrived. They are both APShaveco synthetic brushes. A 24mm Silksmoke with the Blue Lagoon handle and a 24mm Synbad with a Faux Marble handle. First let me say they are beautiful. I had some doubts as to how the handles will look as Andrew @ APShave states there may be some flaws in the handles on his site. The Blue Lagoon handle has a depth of varying degrees of blue that are really translucent in the light. It is flawless, and I'm really glad I picked the Silksmoke knot to pair with it. The knot really is a smokey misty color and aptly named, and is a prefect match for the blue handle. I don't like a lot of marbling affect in a lot of brush handles, but the Faux marble is more traditional without a lot of colors. It looks like marble. The Synbad knot fits it well with the brown with light tipped fibers. Better than trying to truly express the color combinations here are the photos (as inadequate as they may be):

24mm Synbad with Faux Marble handle and 24mm Silksmoke with Blue Lagoon handle.
004_50.jpg

Silksmoke
005_50.jpg

Synbad
011_50.jpg

I haven't tried either brush yet. This week's OCD rotation is using my Omega S10065 brush. Next week I may pick one of these brushes to use first, or I will simply choose to use both and rotate them. Both of them have a super soft feel. They feel much softer than my Maggard Plisson style knot. The Synbad is a denser packed knot than the Silksmoke. The Silksmoke is pretty dense.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD :001_wub::
Razor: Fatip Ulivo
Blade: GSB (2)
Brush: Omega S10065
Cream: Proraso Wood and Spice
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Gold Splash
025_50.jpg

Things are really rolling along nicely. I'm enjoying using my Omega S10065. I find it almost as soft as my Maggard Synth. The scrub is excellent. It really is a good brush. It's never pokey or scritchy. Someone who really likes the softness of Plissoft or badgers may not like it. Softness alone does not make for an excellent brush though. I do find this a very soft brush with a lot of backbone. My one complaint about today's shave was trying to cut down on the amount of product I use with Proraso Wood and Spice. It does seem with Proraso that it truly requires an almond size dollop, if not more, for me. The lather thinned out quite a bit on subsequent passes. This may be fine for some, but I like a tad more thickness than I achieved, especially using Proraso Single Blade creams. I can't fault the results, or ease and comfort, of today's shave.

Blade: GSB (2)
View attachment 929279
Things are really rolling along nicely. I'm enjoying using my Omega S10065. I find it almost as soft as my Maggard Synth. The scrub is excellent. It really is a good brush. It's never pokey or scritchy. Someone who really likes the softness of Plissoft or badgers may not like it. Softness alone does not make for an excellent brush though. I do find this a very soft brush with a lot of backbone. My one complaint about today's shave was trying to cut down on the amount of product I use with Proraso Wood and Spice. It does seem with Proraso that it truly requires an almond size dollop, if not more, for me. The lather thinned out quite a bit on subsequent passes. This may be fine for some, but I like a tad more thickness than I achieved, especially using Proraso Single Blade creams. I can't fault the results, or ease and comfort, of today's shave.

I like the Omega S brushes the best out of other synthetics. It's splay and face feel is unique from other brushes. I do prefer Omega Boars, but S brushes I enjoy more than my cheap badger. horse, regular synthetic, vintage boars, and everything is better than my nylon :)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I like the Omega S brushes the best out of other synthetics. It's splay and face feel is unique from other brushes. I do prefer Omega Boars, but S brushes I enjoy more than my cheap badger. horse, regular synthetic, vintage boars, and everything is better than my nylon :)
I think the Omega S-Brush is largely underrated. I've been sufficiently warned to stay away from the Omega Hi-Brush from a friend whom I greatly respect.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: GSB (3)
028_50.jpg

Today was my third shave of the week. I'm a little sad about that. It means I only have two more shaves left this week. :crying: My shave was quick, short, and almost sweet. I just moved a pile of firewood and stacked it before my shave. I was still a little shaky coming straight in from the manual labor. No matter, a shave needed to occur and who am I to stop and wait? It went well enough but a bit heavy handed. There definitely was feedback when applying aftershave splash. I loaded my Omega S10065 with a normal almond sized dollop of Proraso Wood and Spice which was perfect. Over all I'm quite happy with today's shave.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Part two of my APShaveco master plan arrived yesterday. This completes step one of my master plan to effectively replace my badger rotation. It's complete with 4 beautiful soft APShave 24mm brushes with slight differences in fibers, and one Maggards 22mm Plisson style. Step two is replacing my boar rotation with Omega S-Brushes. Since I have one Omega S10065 and two other Omega S-Brushes on the way from Maggards my master plan is moving right along.

Apshaveco 24mm Nu-Brush Tuxedo and 24mm Nu-Brush Cashmere:
006_50.jpg
004_51.jpg
001_50.jpg

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: GSB (4)
022_50.jpg

I'm really, really, loving my Omega S10065. This little brush performs like a monster. It does everything I want out of a brush. The Proraso Wood and Spice was perfectly dialed and it was so for two and a half passes after I hydrated it to where it needed to be. The brush rinsed right out and is almost dry, and on top of that it always holds it shape.:001_wub: Oh, the shave was good as well. It was a bbs with dfs on my neck. Here's to my Fatip Ulivo paired with a GSB!!!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
What do you notice different between it and the Plissoft type knot, Rave?
The Omega S10065 has more back bone and scrub (not scritch). It also is less densely packed with longer thicker fibers. It's a totally different fiber. On the other hand my APShaveco brushes are notably softer than my Plissoft

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Omega S10065 has more back bone and scrub (not scritch). It also is less densely packed with longer thicker fibers. It's a totally different fiber. On the other hand my APShaveco brushes are notably softer than my Plissoft

The S brush is more boar like.

Softer than a Plissoft?

image00-1.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The S brush is more boar like.

Softer than a Plissoft?

View attachment 929844
Yup, the Omega S-Brush is sold as a synthetic boar.

My APSshaveco Cashmere, Silksmoke, Synbad, and Tuxedo brushes are all softer than my Plissoft. I should note my APShaveco brushes are softer to the touch dry as compared to my Plissoft dry. I've not used APShaveco brushes yet.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yup, the Omega S-Brush is sold as a synthetic boar.

My APSshaveco Cashmere, Silksmoke, Synbad, and Tuxedo brushes are all softer than my Plissoft. I should note my APShaveco brushes are softer to the touch dry as compared to my Plissoft dry. I've not used APShaveco brushes yet.

Gotcha. Thanks Rave!

Top Bottom