What's new

Moving in with my girlfriend?

Thanks, everyone, for the valuable input. Indeed times are changing and this is becoming more "normal" than before. While my wise Grandma sides with some of you old-fashioned gents above, I would definitely view moving in as a step towards marriage. It's kind of why I never considered moving in with any of my past girlfriends; none of them seemed right.

Which I guess means this girl might be "the one" I've been looking for. And I'll do whatever it takes to keep her around for a long time.

And a little background on me: my parents' divorce was very difficult on me, and it came close with my mom's second marriage, too. I don't want to experience another divorce in any capacity. In a way, while that may turn some people off to the whole concept of marriage, I've also been influenced by the facts that my mom's parents were married 50 years, and my dad's 60. Surely, they were married much younger than I am, but it's about the love and commitment, not just a number.

At any rate, I guess I'd rather over-think this than under-think it, and the fact that I have such support on here and in "real life" is also quite encouraging.
Thank you all again for contributing to this discussion. And if there's anything else to add, please feel free.

I'm Latino so you marry a girl, you marry her family too. lol! Look, moving in with a girl is a big deal but not really. You have rules like at home and as long as you both communicate and grow TOGETHER, meaning sharing quality time and never ever going to bed mad. It's a big step. What is also important is you don't lose your individuality, and she lets you be yourself and accepts that and it seems you both have that. things will get ugly, but keep your cool and keep your pride in check at the right moments. I personally walk away from arguments at times to clear my head and that's the cue for her. my ex fought just to start an argument and after 18 years with my parents killing each other I was NOT in the mood for that living hell. we were just never really in love. I moved in out of necessity so it's different. But enjoy and have fun!!! be sure to keep your end financially, learn to cook and learn to give massages!!! very crucial. believe me, a class at a local city college is cheap. worth any $$$ (wink)

I have to agree with many of the previous comments. I think living with someone before marrying has many benefits. I sometimes wonder how people go from dating to married and have never lived together. I think you learn more about a person living with them for a couple months than dating a couple of years. Start packing!

"You marry a girl, you marry her family too."

From my grandmother's mouth to your post. It is one of my core beliefs, and fortunately we get along very well.

Get married.

are you waiting to see if the two of you will be 100% compatible first?

You aren't.

Nobody is.

Marriage is a commitment to working through and accepting all of each others differences and commonalities.Living together is an admittance on both sides that they want to leave the door a bit ajar to bail when things get tough. Life happens. Some times are awesome, some times are the pits. You say you've already weathered a couple of storms, that's great, that's what it takes.

Thats my two cents, since you asked...

I totally agree. Make it official!

The divorce rate is near 50% in this country (so much for the sanctity of marriage).
I don't have the stats on hand and don't want to make something up, but that's 50% of marriages ending in divorce, not 50% of those people who get married wind up getting divorced. The problem is that you have some people making repeat appearances in divorce court. My ex-wife, for example, is probably hunting for future ex-husband #5 about now, if she hasn't already passed that mark.

P

pdillon

Sounds like a good plan, as you seem to love her. If you have any serious misgivings, consider them carefully before you get yourself into a situation you may regret. Otherwise go for it!

Reason 681 To buy a Ukulele ... Girls like Ukulele players.

What's reason number 680? :)

I have to agree with many of the previous comments. I think living with someone before marrying has many benefits. I sometimes wonder how people go from dating to married and have never lived together. I think you learn more about a person living with them for a couple months than dating a couple of years. Start packing!

I've seen quite a few friends over the years move in with boyfriends/girlfriends and the result is almost always the same. I don't know exactly why, but it seems like these people argue more and generally behave in a much more "I can always cut my losses and leave" kind of way.

I'm 27 my wife is 25. We have been married going on four years... we didn't live together before we got married and we're getting along just fine. In part, I believe, because we made that commitment from the get-go instead of just moving in together and seeing how it turned out. I'm not saying any of that is 100% when you say "I Do" (obviously with the divorce rate), but I think there's something to be said about mentally, verbally, and on paper saying it... perhaps a little more thought involved than "I'll come over for a couple weeks and see how it goes."

I don't have the stats on hand and don't want to make something up, but that's 50% of marriages ending in divorce, not 50% of those people who get married wind up getting divorced. The problem is that you have some people making repeat appearances in divorce court. My ex-wife, for example, is probably hunting for future ex-husband #5 about now, if she hasn't already passed that mark.

THIS. The stats for first marriages are much better.

perhaps a little more thought involved than "I'll come over for a couple weeks and see how it goes."[/QUOTE said:
Ooooh it's not like that, especially if you have both of your names on a lease that neither of you can afford alone.

Just so you know, once you move in, the proposal clock will probably start ticking (say about a 1-1.5 years max). You can also expect some rocky points because you will be sharing almost everything, aka de facto marriage. As long as you can commit to the time and effort to work through those times, thing can work out great! I moved in with my then gf, now wife, a few years ago and things have turned out wonderfully.

Last edited:
9. Always show your love (flowers, cards, presents and surprises [like making a date with her], etc..), to keep the 'flame burning' (the Mrs. and my 30th anniversary is tomorrow).

Congratulations. Our anniversary was a couple of weeks ago. We went out for dinner and during our main course a gent from another table tapped his glass and said said sorry for the interruption (it was a small restaurant - only 12 or so tables) but he'd like to wish his wife happy anniversary for their 34th! We're not even a third of that.

Anyway back on track. Good luck to Brian. She sounds like a good sort. There aren't many of those around.

Ooooh it's not like that, especially if you have both of your names on a lease that neither of you can afford alone.

So, you're not just living together, you're leasing the relationship, so to speak.....?

Not quite up to a purchase (marriage), but available for a trade in/upgrade after the initial contract expires. Sort of like my iPhone deal with AT&T.

Sorry, I'm being facetious just for the sake of debate....:001_cool:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So, you're not just living together, you're leasing the relationship, so to speak.....?

Not quite up to a purchase (marriage), but available for a trade in/upgrade after the initial contract expires. Sort of like my iPhone deal with AT&T.

Consider it a free trial period :biggrin:

There's some truth in there for sure...
Really seems it's easy to lose your respect for your boyfriend/girlfriend as an individual if they are basically just your roomate.

Top Bottom