What's new

Most Pungent, interesting or otherwise foul smelling soaps

To me, War smells better from the puck in comparison to its lather. I can distinguish some notes in the puck, but the lather creates a foul mix of scents that clarifying shampoo can't easily remove from a synthetic brush. I used a toothpick to puncture the soap about 50 times and left it to air out in my garage. After a couple of months, I am hoping that it will tone down.

They should have gone with the smell of gunpowder and leather. Despite the great base, I am done with Barrister & Mann!

Just an observation that there are a lot of B&M soaps listed here. One of my all time favorite scents is B&M Nordost. It's an amazing dry orange/leathery orange scent. Wish they would get back to more scents like that than some of the really out there stuff.

My vote is for Officina Artigiano Maremoto. It was strong, heavy, smothering, and had amazing staying power. I could still smell it on my synthetic brush two weeks after I used it.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
War was one of the worst things I've ever smelled.
1687830358682.gif

Caswell Massey’s Newport is really strong, almost like a cologne, in a way the bar soap is definitely not. That’s my vote for pungent. Also, TOBS Grapefruit is fairly powerful.

I once tried a tub of lilac, or maybe violet, shaving cream that was pretty hard on the nose. It was definitely foul in my book.

The most interesting scent to me is GFT Spanish Leather. Two of the three listed ingredients/components of the scent are not my favorites on their own, but work well with the sandalwood to bring it all together in a way I enjoy.

B&M’s War has been the worst for me, and I feel like it was designed to be off-putting from the start.

My runner up is Chiseled Face’s Midnight Stag. It’s not completely terrible, I actually kinda like it in a way, but it’s just so IN YOUR FACE that I feel like it deserves a mention. This one has to be used very sparingly to be good, otherwise you just smell like actual gasoline & gun cleaner.

I think the most interesting scent I have ever come across is the Pine Tar soap from KaliFlower Organics that @Mr. Shavington put me onto. I intend to use it, but will admit it's the most pungent scent I have experienced in wet shaving by a large margin.

Razor Master Toivo from Finland is a very pugent pine tar scent - certainly the strongest soap scent I have experienced.
Not unpleasant, though, and very skin-friendly.

As a lover of Grandpa's Pine Tar soap, I immediately set out to try and find this after seeing your post... only to find out Razor Master is no more. However, it appears that Nordic Shaving is the successor/spiritual successor and they are still making a pine tar soap! Just gotta wait for it to be restocked and I'll definitely be giving it a shot :biggrin:

One soap mentioned earlier that's a bit pungent is KaliFlower Organics Tjära(Pine Tar). They're out of Värmland, Sweden.

1) Tabac. Really didn't like it the first time I smelled it, but it quickly became a favorite.
2) Nordic Shaving Co. Pine Tar - made by the same person who created the Razer Master soaps. I can't say it's a favorite, but after you get through that first terrible experience and start using the soap, you'll find yourself opening the lid and smelling it from time to time.

That KaliFlower Organics seems to also be an interesting soap. Added to the list.

I got my first stick of tallow tabac today, expecting to receive a violent olfactory insult for my trouble.

Imagine my surprise to find it a mild and inoffensive scent!

Now I have never had occasion to huff an old woman's handbag, though, so perhaps I was not adequately prepared to take the proper offence?

i am not a fan almond smell soaps, but I think the one in my collection that qualifies for the question is Lothur Namka. I find it a really interesting smell though. but I think the oud and musk in it is not appreciated by everyone.

When I went to USMC Boot Camp, and it was not like summer camp.

Soap we got to shower was Dial, 70 people at once showering up with Dial is nasty smell.

We even use that stuff to shave, as foam was in short supply.

You still haven't smelt sandalwood

Have you tried Tabac?
I wanted to buy Tabac but before buying i took a sniff of a Tabac refill puck and it smelled horrible to my nose. I know that with water and creating a lather the scent will differ but i really dont want to take the risk. It smelled horrible to me!
The best scented soap i have is the Goodfellas smile Abysso soap, but even this is not aquatic/citrussy enough for me.
Also the Rasozero Agrumella soap is totally not citrussy for me, i am giving up on finding a good citrus soap :concern:

Top Bottom