What's new

Most Pungent, interesting or otherwise foul smelling soaps

I'm gonna get flamed for this, but Stirling Barbershop. The powdery vanilla thing was so strong to me I couldn't bring it into the house. I will add a qualification that I have absolutely no love for vanilla scented stuff.
And there you go, YMMV! I love the stuff... powdery vanilla is fair though.:blush:

So far, Tallow & Steel.

I ordered the the Boreal, Cairo and Fougere few months ago. Each and every single one made me really nauseous. Didn't dare using. Lost $45 shipping in the process to ship back to Canada.

Arko schmarko... no, not even close to the true ultimate "what the hell is that, hhhm i actually kind of like it" (or not) that is Stirling Electric Sheep.

I actually like Arko scent... but Electric Sheep is Arko on olfactory steroids - and oddly my wife unprompted said how much she likes the smell of it.

Stirling themselves present it thus:-
"WARNING: This soap is a blend of lemon, citronella, and eucalyptus essential oils. It is not for the faint of heart. If you've never tried it, please buy a sample first."

Oh, it also has a marvellous label

proxy.php

While we're picking on Stirling, Mountain Man has a background scent that, to me, smells of vomit. I bought a sample of the soap and splash because it is so highly regarded. Both are now in the box in the top of the closet with the other shaving related failures.

Razorock Saturnia - this is supposed to smell like being at a Roman thermal spring somewhere near Mount Vesuvius. I think it's the sulfur note that puts people off. I actually like this soap, but only occasionally for a relaxing night shave. It's definitely unusual.

Cyril R Salter French Vetiver - this is strongly scented with, as they say, a "dirty vetiver". Very, very dirty. And strong. And persistent. I generally like vetiver scents, but this one's pretty intense.
Salter's French Vetiver is a swamp fire!

I guess the worst I’ve had is Barrister & Mann Vespers. It has a subtle but ultimately very powerful kind of nastiness. I liked it at first but after a few uses the “Mousse de Saxe” velvety, creamy, musty, oakmoss scent is just intolerably rich. I can’t go near it - it smells to me now of sweet, creamy mould, despair, and suffocation. It even makes beige lather to exacerbate the sense of despair and make you feel dirty when you use it. I’ve developed a cellular aversion to it. I buried my tub in the garden two years ago but the grass won’t grow back there and it’s slowly spreading and turning my lawn into a toxic wasteland. And I can still smell it. Actually it is making me gag again just writing about it.

Then I bought B&M Mûir(e) Wood. There’s a nice-sounding description of the scent but the only thing I can smell is Vespers. It’s exactly the same. Perhaps I’ve become over-sensitive to the oakmoss component that B&M uses, or perhaps it really is just unsold Vespers soap repackaged with a different label and description to try and shift the stock and transfer this problem from B&M’s warehouse to our bathrooms.

Thank god I didn’t buy B&M Baudelaire. I bet that’s the exact same thing too. It sounds like it.

Last edited:
I guess the worst I’ve had is Barrister & Mann Vespers. It has a subtle but ultimately very powerful kind of nastiness. I liked it at first but after a few uses the “Mousse de Saxe” velvety, creamy, musty, oakmoss scent is just intolerably rich. I can’t go near it - it smells to me now of sweet, creamy mould, despair, and suffocation. It even makes beige lather to exacerbate the sense of despair and make you feel dirty when you use it. I’ve developed a cellular aversion to it. I buried my tub in the garden two years ago but the grass won’t grow back there and it’s slowly spreading and turning my lawn into a toxic wasteland. And I can still smell it. Actually it is making me gag again just writing about it.

Then I bought B&M Mûir(e) Wood. There’s a nice-sounding description of the scent but the only thing I can smell is Vespers. It’s exactly the same. Perhaps I’ve become over-sensitive to the oakmoss component that B&M uses, or perhaps it really is just unsold Vespers soap repackaged with a different label and description to try and shift the stock and transfer this problem from B&M’s warehouse to our bathrooms.

Thank god I didn’t buy B&M Baudelaire. I bet that’s the exact same thing too. It sounds like it.
Odd. I love Muir(e) Wood. I tried a sample of Vespers, and wasn't a fan, but didnt think they smelled remotely alike.

Stirling Glastonbury, OMG, I couldn't wash that off my face fast enough. I still get dry heaves thinking about the smell. Thankfully only a sample, but pitched it in a heartbeat.

MdS is such a dated scent. It reminds me of loud obnoxiously over-perfumed and big haired NYC women from 1982. Smother that all over a gingerbread cookie and you have Vespers. Mind boggling why it gets the hype that it does.

I tried the bath soap of Muire Wood and got the same sickly sweet and loud vespers gingerbread man, but buried under a pile of wet leaves.

Noble otter batters up is the most foul soap I’ve smelled in my 17 years of wet shaving. And i enjoy diamond/midnight stag/roam/etc.

Like industrial refuse in a rainy sawmill mixed with freshly smoked-in “value city” bathroom. Wretched. Makes me want to hurl. Seriously. Worst scent out of 500 soaps ive used.

Razor Master Toivo from Finland is a very pugent pine tar scent - certainly the strongest soap scent I have experienced.
Not unpleasant, though, and very skin-friendly.
As a lover of Grandpa's Pine Tar soap, I immediately set out to try and find this after seeing your post... only to find out Razor Master is no more. However, it appears that Nordic Shaving is the successor/spiritual successor and they are still making a pine tar soap! Just gotta wait for it to be restocked and I'll definitely be giving it a shot :biggrin:

As a lover of Grandpa's Pine Tar soap, I immediately set out to try and find this after seeing your post... only to find out Razor Master is no more. However, it appears that Nordic Shaving is the successor/spiritual successor and they are still making a pine tar soap! Just gotta wait for it to be restocked and I'll definitely be giving it a shot :biggrin:
One soap mentioned earlier that's a bit pungent is KaliFlower Organics Tjära(Pine Tar). They're out of Värmland, Sweden.

Proraso Red. I didn't know what sandalwood smells like, so i bought it, as it seemed like a classic scent.
Wow, it smells exactly like the inside of an old ladies handbag, horrible scent for me.

I was shocked because it seems like lots of guys in the shaving community like sandalwood scent. Very weird to me :eek2:

Top Bottom