What's new

Most Pungent, interesting or otherwise foul smelling soaps

I recently received a sample of Chisled face Midtnight Stag shaving soap. It is very strong smelling, but I like it. Barrister & Mann's War was a soap that most were not brave enough to try. Are there any soaps that you have come across that were unusually smelly, and you either got rid of them, or bravely and boldly used?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There are, apparently as mentioned here at B&B in other posts, some Southern Witchcrafts scents that are touted as smelling of mildew and dirt.
I can't imagine it could get much worse than that.

From their site:

Autumn Ash: Maple, spice, smoke, amber, cedar, oud, rain, plum, blackberry, ash, birch tar, pumpkin, coffee, dirt, mildew

Druantia: Cedar, Oakmoss, Rosewood, Moss, Cypress, Tobacco, Fungus, Sandalwood, Mitsutake, Myrrh, Amber, Orange, Ginger

Lycanthropy: Fir tree, lilac, musk, mildew, moss, Egyptian jasmine, palo santo, white sage, ozone

Necromantic: Wisteria, rose, honey, red wine, dirt, ozone

Valley of Ashes: Coal, Tar, Bourbon, Tobacco, Bitter Citrus, Smoke, Leather, Motor Oil, Burning Rubber, Diesel, Clove, Birch Tar, Bergamot

I always thought Ron from Chiseled Face was a little out there in terms of scents.
Which is nothing compared to what Courtney and Stephen at Southern Witchcrafts is offering though. Need to pick some SW soaps up. Scent profile descriptions can be misleading.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I always thought Ron from Chiseled Face was a little out there in terms of scents.
Which is nothing compared to what Courtney and Stephen at Southern Witchcrafts is offering though. Need to pick some SW soaps up. Scent profile descriptions can be misleading.
Or they can be accurate.
We've had some posts here describing the dirt and mildew scent to smell like "dirt and mildew".

I haven't tried any of the more extreme on purpose soaps like some mentioned above. I've got the B&M Death, but stayed away from War.

In all seriousness the worst smelling I've come across is Tabac with its overpowering powdery old lady scent. Next would be Van Yulay's OrangeCran. I found it to be abrasive to my sinuses for some reason. Most likely the "cranberry" part---and I love cranberries. I had a handful this morning as a matter of fact.

I have enjoyed many of the Southern Witchcrafts soaps and found that what they smell like pre and post lathering can be very different. I really enjoy both Autumn Ash and Lycanthropy and, when my soap supply begins to dwindle, will seriously consider restocking those. Another soap that had a unique description was DeLuxe Rockers (sadly no longer) with a description that included motor oil and dirt. It's a great smelling soap.

I did want to say one soap I didn't enjoy the scent and is well loved on this forum is Catie's Bubbles le Piment de la Vie. No complaint on the performance, but PIF'd it away very shortly after shaving twice.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
In all seriousness the worst smelling I've come across is Tabac with its overpowering powdery old lady scent.

I agree. It isn’t so much the scent, although it isn’t my favorite by a long shot, it’s the ‘nuclear’ scent strength as you allude to. I can use it once and smell it in the house and in the brush for days. You just can’t get away from it. That’s why I only use it about once a year.

I like B&M Death quite a bit, but it’s grown on me, I even recently asked Will if he had any extra bottles of AS kicking around since mine is used up. War is really weird in not so good of a way. Famine however is better overall than War but has a sharp tang for lack of other words that snaps my head back when I smell it.

Top Bottom