What's new

More water.

B

bluefoxicy

I honed my own razor using lynn's method (sort of) (youtube it) and ...

Oh, my hone wasn't not-flat. I just needed more water.

Oh, it's now obvious to me that the microscopic "teeth" don't exist. The edge is not perfectly straight by any means, but the "teeth" and gaps between them are nothing more than optical illusions created by the shadows in the scratches left by my 8000 grit Norton.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honed my own razor using lynn's method (sort of) (youtube it) and ...

Oh, my hone wasn't not-flat. I just needed more water.

Oh, it's now obvious to me that the microscopic "teeth" don't exist. The edge is not perfectly straight by any means, but the "teeth" and gaps between them are nothing more than optical illusions created by the shadows in the scratches left by my 8000 grit Norton.

There is a bit more to this than just using the 4/8k norton and doing the pyramid method. If you need help PM me and I would be glad to do that for you.

Ray

B

bluefoxicy

There is a bit more to this than just using the 4/8k norton and doing the pyramid method. If you need help PM me and I would be glad to do that for you.

Yeah I have a Chinese 12k coming too. It still can't pass the HHT, and my DEs can, so obviously something isn't quite right.

I can't pass HHT off 8k. I can't reliably pass it off swaty or china.

Escher/Thurigian passes it great
Coticule and Jnat pass it well, but not as well as Escher

Just remember guys, the HHT is not a reliable test of how a razor will shave, though if you do it enough on razors and gain some experience with it, you may be able to "calibrate" it to tell you something about the edge. The shave test is the ultimate test, and you should be able to get a good shave off an 8k.

B

bluefoxicy

Just remember guys, the HHT is not a reliable test of how a razor will shave, though if you do it enough on razors and gain some experience with it, you may be able to "calibrate" it to tell you something about the edge. The shave test is the ultimate test, and you should be able to get a good shave off an 8k.

I don't want a "good shave."

I want the razor to glide over my face, with zero resistance, doing absolutely nothing; and the hair to magically be gone.

I want hair shafts to eject and run screaming from my face before the blade even reaches them, in irreconcilable fear of the God-like sharpness of my edge.

I want to shave once a week and still be BBS Monday morning.

I want a 100,000 grit Japanese finishing hone.

With oil.

I want an edge so sharp a SEM can't see it.

I think I may need to forge my own razor out of a super alloy... possibly Inconel (which would get harder RAPIDLY as honed or shaved with). It would probably eat my hones alive though; even Adamantium isn't that hard.

All that would be awesome, bluefoxicy, but if your razor is not to the point where you can get a good shave when you are finished on your 8k, the chances of you getting a good shave or better are slim. So, personally, I think that if you cannot get a good shave off your 8k, there is no point in playing with anything higher - especially anything as slow as a C12k.

I want the razor to glide over my face, with zero resistance, doing absolutely nothing; and the hair to magically be gone.

I want hair shafts to eject and run screaming from my face before the blade even reaches them, in irreconcilable fear of the God-like sharpness of my edge.

I want a 100,000 grit Japanese finishing hone.

With oil.

I want an edge so sharp a SEM can't see it.

I think I may need to forge my own razor out of a super alloy... possibly Inconel (which would get harder RAPIDLY as honed or shaved with). It would probably eat my hones alive though; even Adamantium isn't that hard.

When you got all of them show the way to rest. specially when you hear scream of hair shafts . gl

B

bluefoxicy

When you got all of them show the way to rest. specially when you hear scream of hair shafts . gl

hehehe.

I don't think it's actually possible to get a razor to hold an edge beyond a certain sharpness though. Remember DE blades are pretty sharp; but they're platinum-ceramic coated fine steel with a polished edge, and they last 2-3 shaves even with silly people stroping them on jeans.

Can still dream ;)

B

bluefoxicy

All that would be awesome, bluefoxicy, but if your razor is not to the point where you can get a good shave when you are finished on your 8k, the chances of you getting a good shave or better are slim. So, personally, I think that if you cannot get a good shave off your 8k, there is no point in playing with anything higher - especially anything as slow as a C12k.

Haven't tried shaving with it yet, but it doesn't pass the HHT. Someone already said you can make a razor shave without making it HHT ready.

Haven't tried shaving with it yet, but it doesn't pass the HHT. Someone already said you can make a razor shave without making it HHT ready.

Forget about the HHT. When you think the razor is finished on the 8K, stop. Shave with it. If it doesn't shave well, the Chinese 12K isn't going to improve the edge. Once it is shaving well off the 8K, then the C12K will improve the edge.

Good advice right here.

Last edited:

Sounds like you want to be Chuck Norris. He is the only man on the planet who can achieve the shave you speak of!

Top Bottom