What's new

Dovo 5/8, current production. Should you get one?

Here is mine, new production. Besides the frown it is also warped. Two negatives make a positive, right?

View attachment 1732411
That is a shame, especially on one of their premium models.
Is this from the current production?
I think there is still allot of old stock being sold.
There is a noticable difference in the grind when I compare my new 5/8 with a slightly older model.
All the dovo razors I have baught have had a frown, except this latest one.
How do you correct them?
I actually use a tool that is blamed for creating the problem to fix it.

Last edited:
I think if I bought a razor new from a store and it arrived with a frown or a bad warp or both I'd just send it back. I have had Dovos with warped or wonky grinds, not terribly so but it was there and easily dealt with. I generally expect some weirdness with quasi hand made items. Not a big deal really.
But no Dovos I owned had frowns... where are these frowning warped blades sourced? Has anyone contacted Dovo directly about this? Just seems odd to me.... brand new blades from a major cutlery source with a lengthy history arriving with a frown honed into the edge. I always thought their edges were terrible though.

Sort of off topic but I asked for more details on when a razor is sent to dovo for honing. Got the response below. Cheers
Screenshot_20231014_175402_Gmail.jpg

Can't send mine back. A. I honed it so there is no way they would take it back and B. It's been a while. Tried shaving with it after I asked the seller to hone it and it was nowhere near shave ready so I put it aside and, being the procrastinator I am, I sort of forgot about it until this thread :)
My first 2 razors were a Dovo best 5/8 and col conk 6/8 and those were fine.
The frown has been honed out now using lifted spine strokes. Time to tackle the warp and set a bevel.

Reactions: JPO
The response I got from Dovo. Sounds like they use flat stones when sending a razor in for honing (could be me misinterpreting).

View attachment 1731479
It would be interesting to know what they do to a factory new razor. All I know is that what I received is typical for all the razors I have received frome Dovo, Böker and TI.
This razor had a large folded over burr from heel to toe. It also had some chipping.
The steel also needed to be honed a few times before it was able to hold the edge.
The smart move would be to actually reset the bevel on a 1-2k stone with this particular blade. I have had other Dovo's that only required some light honing.
All I know is that they have made some changes to their 5/8 models. I would assume that they also mode some adjustments to the other models as well.
There will probably be allot old stock being sold before all the new razors being sold from different vendors are from the current production. So, allot of variance should be expected.

Top Bottom