What's new

More efficient but as smooth as Feather AS-D2 for Daily Shaving?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I went from the AS-D2 to an Above the Tie Windsor. Since ATT closed they are probably hard to find, but I found the change to be similar comfort but easier to use. I have the mild copper plate and get incredibly close shaves with three passes.

I had the same problem with the AS-D2; very smooth and comfortable but not giving the results I wanted. I went to a brass Karve Overlander and love it. Just as comfortable and an absolute wizard against the grain.
Any complaints with the bare brass?

Still looking for the grail. I like the Feather AS-D2 (with sharpest blades like Nacet, Feather, Kai, etc.). I'm a daily shaver with sensitive skin.

However, I want something more efficient but equally smooth as far as lack of feedback / blade feel

These didn't make the grade: Henson Mild, Merkur 23/34, EJ 89, GC .68 (too much blade feel and nicked me on occasion for no apparent reason). Didn't like the Henson Medium, either -- too light for its aggression and had a tendency to bite or burn without provocation. Didn't like the Tatara Masamune, too inefficient

Ideas? Rockwell 6S? Overlander?
You’ve got a lot of suggestions, what did you decide on?

I went from the AS-D2 to an Above the Tie Windsor. Since ATT closed they are probably hard to find, but I found the change to be similar comfort but easier to use. I have the mild copper plate and get incredibly close shaves with three passes.
So the M1 plate?

Still looking for the grail. I like the Feather AS-D2 (with sharpest blades like Nacet, Feather, Kai, etc.). I'm a daily shaver with sensitive skin.

However, I want something more efficient but equally smooth as far as lack of feedback / blade feel

These didn't make the grade: Henson Mild, Merkur 23/34, EJ 89, GC .68 (too much blade feel and nicked me on occasion for no apparent reason). Didn't like the Henson Medium, either -- too light for its aggression and had a tendency to bite or burn without provocation. Didn't like the Tatara Masamune, too inefficient

Ideas? Rockwell 6S? Overlander?
@Kennyg2019 had a thread where he did a comparison on mild razors.

This is the final result.

I see you're missing his 2 top picks -- the Wolfman and the Timeless.

I would be very interested in knowing what you end up with, if anything, as I too have an AS-D2 and am happy with it for the most part. FWIW, I use Bic Chrome blades in mine.

Last edited:
I prefer milder gaps and the Feather AS-D2 is now my #2 DE razor, after being displaced from #1 by a Yates Precision 921 Build-Your-Own Ti (As-Machined) with scalloped M plate. I love it. I've got the solid bar and combed M plates on order as well. I use feather blades more often than other blades, but switch over to Nacets or one of the other St. Petersburg-made blades to keep things interesting.

Some recommendations for the Tech, and agree that you should try one. I've used both the ASD2 and a variety of Techs and prefer the Techs which i find more efficient. Nice thing is that a decent Tech can be had for 20 bucks, so it's not a huge gamble.

If you still want to roll the dice, I've shaved with both the RR 68P and the Timeless 68SCL (scalloped safety bar). I like them both and both are nice mild shavers, though I find the Timeless a bit smoother. Maybe it's the weight? Of course the Timeless will set you back a chunk of $$$, even more than the Feather, unless you buy scratch & dent.

Karve CB (A / B plate) or the Overlander. I think the A plate is the closest to the AS-D2 in terms of efficiency and feel, if not a slight step-up. B plate is certainly more efficient. The Overlander is somewhere between the B and C plate for me, but it has less blade feel than the CB.

My Focus Tritok Concave is as smooth as my now-unused Feather AS-D2, but is more efficient. I have fairly sensitive skin and a moderately stiff beard. Obviously YMMV, but it’s one to consider.
Jack

Maxwell June gives any razor here listed a run for its money. If you want a DE, the Karve Overlander can do the trick. Those are the 3 I use feather included.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Lamda Athena should give you what you’re looking for.
You can try a few razors and end up spending quite a bit of money, a little at a time.....or you can take @gdawg55 's advice and get yourself an Athena. Yes, you'll have to get yourself on Theo's Lamda list and it will be around 3 months, give or take, for a razor to become available, but it's unlikely the Athena won't be to your liking. If it doesn't work the way you want, because of the lead time, you'll likely be able to sell yours for near your purchase price.

Read through this thread and see if you think it might be just what you are seeking:

I also used the Henson medium for months and recently tried the Dovo Primo and quite like it. Shaves closer but you have a minor blade feel compared to the Henson. But it doesn't feel agresive at all. With the Henson you don't feel almost anything...

But with the Henson sometimes I ended up with some irritation. Probably because I was pushing a bit, in order to get a closer shave.

For 50$ it's worth trying out the Dovo Primo.

Top Bottom