What's new

More efficient but as smooth as Feather AS-D2 for Daily Shaving?

Still looking for the grail. I like the Feather AS-D2 (with sharpest blades like Nacet, Feather, Kai, etc.). I'm a daily shaver with sensitive skin.

However, I want something more efficient but equally smooth as far as lack of feedback / blade feel

These didn't make the grade: Henson Mild, Merkur 23/34, EJ 89, GC .68 (too much blade feel and nicked me on occasion for no apparent reason). Didn't like the Henson Medium, either -- too light for its aggression and had a tendency to bite or burn without provocation. Didn't like the Tatara Masamune, too inefficient

Ideas? Rockwell 6S? Overlander?

Probably one of the Gillette Techs. I'm pretty fond of two in particular. One is a Canadian Pre-war and the other is a USA No Date Code Post-war (1946-1951). I put a slightly heavier handle on them. Some people are convinced the UK RFB (raised flat bottom) is the best shaving model.

All of these have a relatively narrow effective shaving angle. You have to stay in that narrow range to get the closest shave.

Still looking for the grail. I like the Feather AS-D2 (with sharpest blades like Nacet, Feather, Kai, etc.). I'm a daily shaver with sensitive skin.

However, I want something more efficient but equally smooth as far as lack of feedback / blade feel

These didn't make the grade: Henson Mild, Merkur 23/34, EJ 89, GC .68 (too much blade feel and nicked me on occasion for no apparent reason). Didn't like the Henson Medium, either -- too light for its aggression and had a tendency to bite or burn without provocation. Didn't like the Tatara Masamune, too inefficient

Ideas? Rockwell 6S? Overlander?

I know all of them except the Henson mild and Masamune. My answer was Rockwell 6s, which ironically was the first of them in my den. After a long journey I discovered that the best one for me was already here.

So many options, so little time...
We have different skill, faces, stubble, direction - thickness - density, amd process.
Remember the magic still takes great hands, skills, consistency and process...
Once there...
The wand will pick you...

Holy Grail?
All know is I like a variety but only keep what works well for me and more important the job required.

Sometimes it is a simple (or hard ) as:
Buy'em, Try'em
Don't Use'em, Lose'em

You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's Razor.​

BFX

I found the Karve Overlander and the Rockwell 6S (on a 4 plate) to both be more efficient but just as smooth as the Feather AS-D2. If choosing one, I’d say the Overlander, but it’s close for me.
I also recommend the Rockwell 6C or 6S. They’re the same razor but different metal. They’re on sale now so hurry if your plan on getting one. My preferred plate is #3. It’s the only razor that doesn’t give me weepers.

Top Bottom