What's new

Modern vs Vintage

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It seems to me that most modern razors out there right now are reiterations of designs that are decades old (some close to a century). What do you think?
  • Has shaving been nailed already or not yet?
  • Do you feel like the new products/systems add any kind of substantial value to the experience?
  • Are results any better with the modern stuff?
I like retro stuff, so I may be biased. I'd still like to hear some thoughts, anyway...
I have a Gillette New LC and a DE89 I occasionally alternate. They seem to shave very much the same. Very subtle difference I suppose. I favor the New because it feels good in my hand and looks cooler I suppose. Both give excellent shaves.

I prefer the shaves from modern DEs. Vintage razors I have used (which admittedly is small) are generally too mild for my liking.

I prefer the shaves from modern DEs. Vintage razors I have used (which admittedly is small) are generally too mild for my liking.

A great illustration of YMMV.

That is very interesting, the modern razors too me were overly mild and unmaneuverable compared to my vintage razors. Even the mild Blue-Tip was better.

A great illustration of YMMV.

That is very interesting, the modern razors too me were overly mild and unmaneuverable compared to my vintage razors. Even the mild Blue-Tip was better.

Interesting. Ymmv indeed. What modern razors did you try?

For me, all ATT razor plates from S,R,H, the Merkur Futur, and the executive braveheart were far more aggressive than my Gillette slim.

Maybe the Muhle R89 or the Parker Variant on a very low setting (1-2) was similar to a slim on a 8 or 9 but it’s been a while since I used the Muhle and I seldom use the variant that low so I don’t really recall.

Parker’s TTO and a weishi were about the same as the gillette. Maybe I never truly dialed in the gillette but for me it’s a mild shaver.

Interesting. Ymmv indeed. What modern razors did you try?

For me, all ATT razor plates from S,R,H, the Merkur Futur, and the executive braveheart were far more aggressive than my Gillette slim.

Maybe the Muhle R89 or the Parker Variant on a very low setting (1-2) was similar to a slim on a 8 or 9 but it’s been a while since I used the Muhle and I seldom use the variant that low so I don’t really recall.

Parker’s TTO and a weishi were about the same as the gillette. Maybe I never truly dialed in the gillette but for me it’s a mild shaver.

I tried the Merkur 34 C HD and the RazoRock Bazooka. Both are very mild.

Nice!! I just recently acquired a birth year/quarter razor myself: F4 (1985) Black Beauty adjustable long handle. There doesn't seem to be much of the '85 razors out there, like other razors from prior decades; but I'm glad I got it.

I have an F4 Black Handled Super Speed. It shaves pretty much like any other super speed. The Super Speeds had such a long production run that my son and I both have birth date super speeds! (1954 and 1982) How cool is that? Super Speeds were produced from 1947 to 1988.

I have an F4 Black Handled Super Speed. It shaves pretty much like any other super speed. The Super Speeds had such a long production run that my son and I both have birth date super speeds! (1954 and 1982) How cool is that? Super Speeds were produced from 1947 to 1988.
That's a good long time, and they were built to last unlike alot of the cartridge razors.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Modern razors, particularly 3-piece models, tend to be twice as heavy as they need to be. They're great for escaping through the windows from submerged cars, I suppose.

Gillette got it right the first time with hollow handles and so on, making them half as heavy as modern razors.

My most recent razor acquisition is an O2 (1969) Black Handled Super-Speed, and it is turning out to be my favourite of the five I keep in rotation.

Nice! I would love to have an F4 black handle Super Speed. I do have an '86 one though that I received from a PIF here & I love it!

That's very cool about you & your son! My dad was born in '56 so eventually I would like to get a regular B4 flare tip to have as a reminder of my dad.

To me it seems kind of funny to be talking about vintage vs modern in the context of a double edge blade. :) What is "modern" about a double edge blade? The razor itself is just a blade holder.

I use a straight razor about once a week as well, just for the challenge and fun of it. I don't see anything "modern" about a straight edge either.

To me this whole thread could be more about whether you like a new shiny razor with less charm or a razor with more charm but less "shiny". :)

I can get the same shave with a cartridge, DE, or straight razor. I don't like using a cartridge (primarily probably due to the lack of weight). I do like using a DE and I do like the feel but I'm not particularly interested in their looks.

I do like the looks of some straight razors so even though I'm not a collector, I do have a few straight razors whereas I only have one DE (Gillette Old Open Comb).

Well, @ShavePastor, you should have my F4 Superspeed. It has no special significance to me other than an example of a recent production black handled super speed. Pm me your address and I'll ship it out. I'll pay shipping. I agree that the very late production super speeds are scarcer than the earlier models. It makes it even more difficult to find specific dates when the date codes aren't stated in the advertisements. I won this razor for the starting bid, unaware of its production date.

Btw -it's the cleanest Super Speed I have ever seen. It has no blems and looks like it just came out of the blister pack. It's shave ready, having been scrubbed with scrubbing bubbles and dipped in isopropyl alcohol. Enjoy.

Rick.

I like the modern razors that look like vintage. Like the Fatip.

But there was an open comb razor made in East Europe during communism area, I think from former Czechoslovakia that I would really like to have one, just for the sake of my childhood memories. Unfortunately I don't remember their brand and probably I won't find it.

Also knowing that the Old Type is the first razor by Gillette would push me to get to learn how to use it. But I need to have one first. Lol.

Well, @ShavePastor, you should have my F4 Superspeed. It has no special significance to me other than an example of a recent production black handled super speed. Pm me your address and I'll ship it out. I'll pay shipping. I agree that the very late production super speeds are scarcer than the earlier models. It makes it even more difficult to find specific dates when the date codes aren't stated in the advertisements. I won this razor for the starting bid, unaware of its production date.

Btw -it's the cleanest Super Speed I have ever seen. It has no blems and looks like it just came out of the blister pack. It's shave ready, having been scrubbed with scrubbing bubbles and dipped in isopropyl alcohol. Enjoy.

Rick.

Wow! Thank you kind sir for your generosity!!

My best shaves are with vintage Schick Injectors and Gillette Techs, Super Speeds, and NEW razors. All of the modern razors I've tried have been too mild (Baili Tech clone), too agressive (Bevel, Razorock OLD type), or don't lend the blade enough rigidity (Murkers). I feel that too many modern razors copy 100 year old designs without accounting for the changes that happend in the 30's through 60's to blades. As blades thined down and the longitudinal slot was added they got more flexible. The early three hole razor designs were made for a stiffer blade than what has been produced since the 30's.

It seems to me that most modern razors out there right now are reiterations of designs that are decades old (some close to a century). What do you think?
Don't know about that. There are certainly a lot of uniquity among some razors (e.g. the Edwin Jagger/Merkur 89 head) but there's also a lengthy list of boutique manufactures who've developed some genuinely unique heads.

Has shaving been nailed already or not yet?
Technology can only advance the results so far. Since there's still going to be a 200lb gorilla (no offence or reference to the female members of B&B) on the dull end of the tool even if a perfect razor existed he'd still manage to cut himself or miss a spot.

Are results any better with the modern stuff?
While not "modern" relative to a newish razor like the Mamba I think the blades being manufactured today are likely of a higher & more consistent quality than from say 60 years ago.

The first eight or so razors I bought were new/modern and only fell into vintage about a year ago. In hindsight, I'd rather I started with vintage. While there are some excellent contemporary razors (the Ikon x3 slant & RR Baby Smooth come to mind) I find shaving with something like the Super Speed more relaxing. The x3 or Baby Smooth can provide a very smooth comfortable shave but I find using them is a technical experience. A Super Speed or Tech on the other hand is more organic.

G

GroomedWoodchuck

Personally, I just don't want to fall into the vintage rabbit hole. The modern RAD syndrome is certainly bad enough...I can't imagine adding the array of historical shaving instruments into the mix. That said, I haven't actually tried to shave with any vintage equipment, so I certainly could be missing something amazing. Hard to make that leap though when I can get such nice, consistent, bbs shave from my wolfman.

Top Bottom