What's new

Modern vs Vintage

I love vintage razors. I don't think the newer stuff is any better than the 100 year old DE but it isn't necessarily worse either. A simple 1940's superspeed loaded with a basic BIC blade is one of my favorite set ups. A beat up old Aristocrat might just be the best shaving DE you'll ever find.

I don't think I'm wrong in saying the old Schlick injector (loaded with a modern blade) might just be THE best razor most people will ever enjoy.

For me, I really enjoy the old straights. They tend to be great values and they are a true part of history.

I currently rotate between Astra SP and Personna Red blades.

While my Merkur 1904 works well, my two Gillette Super Speeds (W2 and NDC) both give excellent shaves (DFS+ BBS).

I shave almost exclusively with straight razors, but I started out with a Feather AS-D2, then the Muhle R89, Merkur 34C, Gillette Slim and Above the Tie S2. The last and best (for me) modern razor that I had in my collection was the Timeless OC .95, which I just listed on eBay. The only razors that I've kept are two 1906 Gillette single rings - one in solid silver and the other a regular production model - which give me the best shave of any safety razor that I have ever tried.

There have always been quite a lot of decent razors and a few very good ones, and I've found the very good vintage ones hold their own against the best modern ones. The modern ones might edge things in terms of precision of manufacture, but my face can't measure the miniscule differences involved. As for materials, I love my modern stainless steel razors, but brass is equal to it in most respects. It's true stainless steel is more resistant to impacts, but on the other hand brass has natural anti-microbial properties, as does the silver used to plate many old razors.
With regard to blades, I've not enjoyed my experiences with carbon steel ones, but some of the stainless blades from the late 60s through to the 80s are excellent. P74s, Spoilers and Light Brigades take some beating.

My favorite razors have been modern ones. I like the way they shave better than the vintage razors I've tried - granted I've only tried Old Type and New LC...
Favorites have been Ikon SC Tech and Muhle R41-13.

Those can be great. Maggard, for example, sells their V3 head with a stainless handle. It is a bit under twenty bucks. A replacement head is seven. Fine shaver. Of course, a vintage fan would say it lacks soul.
I recently purchased a grey gun metal colored V3 head with the blue anonidized handle. It is a gem and shaves really well. And it didn't cost a lot of money.

I owned a Merkur 34C HD and a Maggard Slant. The Merkur was good, but it paled in comparison to my Gillette NC SS. The slant I could never figure out.

I just signed up here so this is my first post here. With that said, I rotate between two Merkurs and eight vintage razors. My go to is my 1930's Gillette New SC for first pass with the grain. For my against the grain pass I use my type E Schick Injector. Best shave ever IMO

I like vintage and have a few TTO's. But I keep getting the bug to buy a Mamba, would that be a good thing compared to the Aristocrats, MiLord, Blue Tips and Flare Tips I own?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I just signed up here so this is my first post here. With that said, I rotate between two Merkurs and eight vintage razors. My go to is my 1930's Gillette New SC for first pass with the grain. For my against the grain pass I use my type E Schick Injector. Best shave ever IMO
Welcome to the forum, I like vintage best.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have a nice Slim that gives a fine shave but doesn't keep up with my Wolfman. But the Slim cost $1.50 when I was 10. An inflation calculator puts that at $12.53 in today's dollars. So how fair is it to compare the two razors????

Given the fact that the Wolfman cost 10 times more than I paid for my Slim ($35), the difference is no where near 10 times. So the Slim was a bargain.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
On the whole, vintage doesn't interest me, unless there is no modern equivalent. The vintage stuff that I have here at present is a Wilkinson Sword Empire, a Rolls Razor, and a Darwin Universal Hollow Ground. All these have hollow ground blades in various configurations, and were bought so that I could sample the old ways.

I also have one straight which was made in Sheffield. This does have modern equivalents, but not from the city where I was born. The nearest thing I have to a modern equivalent is a Dovo stainless shavette, which I am learning with.

DE is my mainstay, and the razors I have here were new ones. No one else used them before me, so I don't need to worry about them having been dropped, or having worn threads, or any other inherited issues. I do now have my first vintage on the way, which is a birth year/quarter razor. This is the only reason for me wanting a vintage DE.

Should I want any other DE in future, it will be bought new, with manufacturers warranty, and supporting current manufacturers who still have employees with families to support.

I have a nice Slim that gives a fine shave but doesn't keep up with my Wolfman. But the Slim cost $1.50 when I was 10. An inflation calculator puts that at $12.53 in today's dollars. So how fair is it to compare the two razors????

Given the fact that the Wolfman cost 10 times more than I paid for my Slim ($35), the difference is no where near 10 times. So the Slim was a bargain.
Try a Valet Autostrop with a Feather blade in it and I guarantee you that Wolfman will go hide in a drawer. Valet Autostrop's especially the VC-1 are like a straight razor on a stick.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

IMO, vintage Gillettes are some of the finest pieces of shaving Americana! New Long & Short combs, Aristocrats, Techs, Super Speeds, Fatboy and Slim adjustables......yes there is something about vintages that I just love. But then razors like the Parker Variant adjustable (which I love & is very smooth), the Rockwell 6s/c, and other modern ones that are equally smooth and quality craftsmanship and materials, etc....

So the short answer for me (& the standard answer here at B&B is)......both!!!!!

Gillette Super Slim Twist T4. It's not mint, but seems in reasonable condition. The long term plan is to replace the plastic handle with either a hardwood or buffalo horn.
Nice!! I just recently acquired a birth year/quarter razor myself: F4 (1985) Black Beauty adjustable long handle. There doesn't seem to be much of the '85 razors out there, like other razors from prior decades; but I'm glad I got it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nice!! I just recently acquired a birth year/quarter razor myself: F4 (1985) Black Beauty adjustable long handle. There doesn't seem to be much of the '85 razors out there, like other razors from prior decades; but I'm glad I got it.

Congrats, Robert. I'm not very knowledgeable about the old stuff, so I can't comment on the F4 options. I think there are a few more T4 razors, including the Black Beauty, but I believe the Super Slim Twist is the only one that was made this side of the pond. The fact it is closed comb and can be customised is a cherry on top.

Top Bottom