RazoRock JAWS 0.84
Shark Super Stainless (4)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Cashmere 30mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: a little Irish Spring, hand-lathered; Col Conk Unscented, face-lathered
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream

It was a comfy shave; it was a close shave; it was a time-consuming shave. There were pushback strokes and elliptical pushback strokes (dutifully thieved from @GaryTha ) and it just seems like something which will get faster with more experience, but that’s a guess on my part. Treated comfort as my top priority and was rewarded.

Modern May - Shave #18

IMG-4421_DSC_4421 (2).JPG

Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (5)
Brush: Hans Baier Silvertip 21mm
Soap: Derby
Aftershave: Stirling Arkadia

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Modern May 2022
20220522_230636~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Sabre L2
Blade: Personna GEM (7)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Invasion (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: RazoRock Unlabeled Project Aftershave Splash
Fragrance: Classic Match Vault
20220522_230730~2.jpg

Superb razor and shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11779826

Modern May Challenge

Last night’s shave
RazoRock JAWS 0.84
Shark Super Stainless (4)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Cashmere 30mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: a little Irish Spring, hand-lathered; Col Conk Unscented, face-lathered
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream

It was a comfy shave; it was a close shave; it was a time-consuming shave. There were pushback strokes and elliptical pushback strokes (dutifully thieved from @GaryTha ) and it just seems like something which will get faster with more experience, but that’s a guess on my part. Treated comfort as my top priority and was rewarded.
thombrogan,

As I feel I’m now completely overcome by WSD, Wet Shaving Disorder, (just in case I missed its coinage elsewhere here at B&B I thought I better clarify), I’ve spent the last hour searching online for my own “shave binky”. All our washcloths are white. “Her Majesty” no longer allows the use of anything white while I shave except the white sink in the shave den she still insists on calling the upstairs bathroom. What color, what size, and what material constitutes a “shave binky”? Obviously, I need one!

Curly

Tonight’s shave scared me a bit. After getting fantastic results from both a Timeless .95 and .68, I broke down to a Bronze .38. I figured there wasn’t enough gap to get my fat face in to shave close. Well, like most things in my life, I was wrong. Though I did have to make more incomplete passes than Tom Brady, the shave still wound up in my little Hall of Fame. BBS, no bloody washcloths. The Timeless Bronze .38 was a nice smooth shaver. And it looks pretty in the shave den, which my wife still insists on calling the upstairs bathroom. For inquiring minds who want to know, I used the same old TOBS sandalwood cream, a PolSilver blade with two shaves on it, and “The Eastwood” brush, the vintage boar brush with no name, which I inherited.

8410E5A0-88FB-472C-9421-0F2E0156489B.jpeg

Happy Modern Shaves, Y’all!

Curly Out.

JAHE,
Thank you very much for your kind words, your shaving suggestion, and your very thoughtful offer! I was quite floored by your offer! Completely unexpected. Thank you. As you were the only participant in what I now believe to be a poorly planned and executed PIF on my part, I was going to send you the Rex Ambassador anyway, as that was my intention. It gave me a DFS, but not as good as some other razors I’ve acquired in my quest for the perfect wet-shave. I’d rather pay it forward to someone here who would appreciate it, than try to sell it on a “Bay”. So, I’ll reserve it for a future PIF, one less complicated than my “Go Ahead, Make My Shave” train wreck.
In other news, I’m prepping for tonight’s shave with your suggestion: the .68 Timeless, T2 Simpson, and Le Pere Lucien soap (my first time with soap). And a PolSilver blade. It’s not the exact blade you so kindly offered, but I have a few tucks from a sampler I bought last year. I’ve found them to be very complimentary to my face, producing BBS shaves in several razors, even given my lack of skill.

Thanks again for reaching out! I always wanted another friend from Germany! Your comments and offer are much appreciated! Hold on to those blue-eyed unicorns until I run out of PolSilver Iridium’s!!!😆

Curly

P.S. I’ll post post-shave results later tonight.

JAHE:

After action report: I took your suggestions to the shave den, which my lovely bride still calls the upstairs bathroom, or possibly “the loo” for y’all across the pond. Or is that just England and you Germans call it a shave den also, regardless of what your wife calls it?

Before I detail my struggles, allow me to report the results - a BBS shave after two passes on my cheeks and four on my chins. I’d include a photo, but I have the face best-suited for radio. One weeper, but that’s on chin number three that I nicked yesterday with a Blackbird.

My difficulties lie in using a soap for the first time. I wasn’t sure if I should try to put soap in my shave bowl (it’s as hard as American Algebra and I couldn’t get it out), soak the brush and lather in the soap bowl then face lather, build a lather in the soap bowl (which was too full of soap to hold lather without dumping it on the countertop), or just keep swirling and then dumping lather into the shave bowl, spilling onto the countertop, and/or applying to my face. I chose this last option as it seemed natural because that’s what happened.

Loved the shave and the scent! First time with this technique and product. Looking online now for “Shaving for the Shave Soap-challenged”.

Thanks JAHE for your input and comments! The shave turned out great even though the “wheels came off my wagon” during the technique.

If I was better at this, then I wouldn’t need B&B’s help.

Curly Out

P.S. No white towels were harmed during this shave. Almost forgot, the Official-Approved-Scent Department won’t get to cast her vote until tomorrow. But I liked it!
Curly,

I'm glad your shave turned out well. 😀
And I'm even more happy you decided to accept my little PIF. Thanks for your kind pm. A couple of blades will make their way to the US soon 😀

Have a great day!

Today I opted for the Vector, though I had not much stubble to shave. Just one pass with a few touchups was needed to make my skin feel velvety smooth again.

The Vector is the only SE razor I own - and will be the only SE razor I'll ever need. It plain and simple checks all the boxes for me.
The only thing I'd considered was to add an open comb plate for this razor. But since Blackland has ceased their distribution of razors and parts via EU and US retailers for the time being, buying from Blankland directly is the only choice remaining for me. This means retail price plus shipping plus another 20% on top of this sum, due to EU import taxes... 🤪

Has anyone of you already made experience with the open comb plate of the Vector?
Is there a significant difference in the shave compared to the SB Vector?

Asking for a friend 🤣
20220524_071819-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Tonight’s shave scared me a bit. After getting fantastic results from both a Timeless .95 and .68, I broke down to a Bronze .38. I figured there wasn’t enough gap to get my fat face in to shave close. Well, like most things in my life, I was wrong. Though I did have to make more incomplete passes than Tom Brady, the shave still wound up in my little Hall of Fame. BBS, no bloody washcloths. The Timeless Bronze .38 was a nice smooth shaver. And it looks pretty in the shave den, which my wife still insists on calling the upstairs bathroom. For inquiring minds who want to know, I used the same old TOBS sandalwood cream, a PolSilver blade with two shaves on it, and “The Eastwood” brush, the vintage boar brush with no name, which I inherited.

View attachment 1460873
Happy Modern Shaves, Y’all!

Curly Out.
That is one lovely Timeless razor. The scalloped head on the closed bar looks fantastic. Lots of eye appeal. I am glad to hear the .38 works well for you! I have been really eyeing their Slim .5 razor as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom