What's new

Modern May Challenge 2022

Thank you very much, JAHE! Sadly, I don’t have any Wizamet blades. So now I’m off to the Interwebs to find some. I swear, it’s easier to find an enabler here than finding overpriced razors on eBay. Thanks for entering!
Good morning Curly,

The Wizamets are easy to find and loved by many. Personally, I like their predescessor even better.

20220522_105459.jpg

Unfortunately, these vintage blades are hard to come by, they are almost unobtainious nowadays (I'm not aware of any retailer worldwide today who still offers them and I call myself blessed I got a nice stash when they still were available).

And though you were a bit late to the game, if you’ll PM me with your address, I’d be happy to send you a prize for being the only one who entered.

Thank you so much for this unexpected offering. I didn't reply to your message to win a pif but wanted to be of help only.To be honest, when I saw the pif price you had in mind I was totally floored. Though the generosity of the members here in this place is unbelievable at times, your generosity undisputedly takes it to a new level.

Late or not, you were the only entry!

Again, that is truly amazing and really generous. Thank you so much, Curly.
This is why I would like to make a proposal. Instead of receiving a pif by you I really would like to send YOU a PIF to honour your generosity.

Pls share your address with me, I'll send you a couple of the Polsilver blades pictured. It's not a pricey item, however, these blades are rare as blue eyed unicorns nowadays, that's why I feel you should enjoying them.

You deserve it.

Greetings from Germany!

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Modern May Challenge

Last night’s shave
RazoRock JAWS 0.84
Shark Super Stainless (3)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Cashmere 30mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: a little Irish Spring, hand-lathered; Col Conk Unscented, face-lathered
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky
Post-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream

#InsufferableRigiditySnob

Another very nice shave done. Took longer than I’d like, but the comfort and lots of the closeness were there.

My first shave with a Mühle 2013-R41 informed me regular bath soap; Irish Spring in this case; wasn’t enough for ATG passes under the chin for me which led me to Neutrogena Men Sensitive Skin Shave Cream and then I galloped towards a soap and brush addiction as one may gallop.

But that was, like the tenth of January in 2020, man…

So last night, while showering for cleanliness and whisker softening, the previous two shaves of the RazoRock JAWS 0.84 were on my mind and I wondered if a little ATG on the neck with bar soap would “work.” Shaved the middle of my throat with a bit of Irish Spring and ATG strokes with excellent results.

Finished the rest of the shave lumbering by the sink with a well hydrated Col Conk Unscented lather deftly applied by an AP ShaveCo Cashmere brush and it was wonderful.

@Balin , I hope your power’s back on and running steadily

True fact: the term "mayday" is derived from the French for "help me," which is "m'aidez" (pronounced "mayday").

Modern May challenge. If I cut myself really badly, then, perhaps, it'll be the Modern Mayday Challenge:

Preshave wash w/Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Oil soap
Harry's preshave scrub (side note, given the quality of their cartridge razors & blades, I'd absolutely love to see them get into the safety razor game)
Edwin Jagger Ej89 razor
Persona Med Prep (USA) blade
Proraso plain preshave (love that smell at any time of day!)
Proraso sensitive skin shave cream
Perfecto badger hair brush
Naked Armor stainless steel scuttle
Barrister & Mann Citracuya aftershave balm

9/10. First shave w/the E89, & colour me very impressed with the results. BBS, even under my chin, which is usually the hardest place for me to get to my satisfaction. My wife also appreciated both the smoothness of my cheeks & the "clean" smell of the aftershave balm, as opposed to the stronger aromas that I prefer when I'm not using something completely fragrance free like the Zingari Man Unscented. While wasn't happy that the shave didn't completely remove all whiskers from my upper lip on the first few tries, I ascribe that more to this not having been the first rodeo for this particular Persona Med Prep blade, which was deposited in the blade recycler afterwards.

All in all, I rather like this razor. Its the first English-made in my collection, while the others are US (Gillette) or German (Merkur) in provenance. I'm not thrilled about the zamak construction, given that I prefer stainless steel where possible. But adding modern pieces to my collection on helpful on general principles.

Next shave, I think I'll either return to the Maggard frankenrazor or use my Vikings Blade. Depends on my mood, really.

1653235460417.png

-Z

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thank you very much, JAHE! Sadly, I don’t have any Wizamet blades. So now I’m off to the Interwebs to find some. I swear, it’s easier to find an enabler here than finding overpriced razors on eBay. Thanks for entering! And though you were a bit late to the game, if you’ll PM me with your address, I’d be happy to send you a prize for being the only one who entered. I’d hoped to generate some interaction with the members here because I’m new and don’t know anyone. Late or not, you were the only entry!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Curly
Curly, I would have entered but I'm good with razors.... I think you are fitting here quite nicely.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
View attachment 1459768

Pre: CeraVe Hydrating Face Wash
Brush: Elite Razor Manchurian White Fan, Amboyna Burl Handle (26mm)
Soap: ETHOS Mandarino Fumo
Razor: Blackland Vector, Kai Titan Mild ProTouch MG
Finish: Ferragamo Uomo Signature for Men EDP
Beautiful brush... You caused me to take a look at the Elite site... lots of amazing brushes there...

Good morning Curly,

The Wizamets are easy to find and loved by many. Personally, I like their predescessor even better.

View attachment 1459842

Unfortunately, these vintage blades are hard to come by, they are almost unobtainious nowadays (I'm not aware of any retailer worldwide today who still offers them and I call myself blessed I got a nice stash when they still were available).

Thank you so much for this unexpected offering. I didn't reply to your message to win a pif but wanted to be of help only.To be honest, when I saw the pif price you had in mind I was totally floored. Though the generosity of the members here in this place is unbelievable at times, your generosity undisputedly takes it to a new level.

Again, that is truly amazing and really generous. Thank you so much, Curly.
This is why I would like to make a proposal. Instead of receiving a pif by you I really would like to send YOU a PIF to honour your generosity.

Pls share your address with me, I'll send you a couple of the Polsilver blades pictured. It's not a pricey item, however, these blades are rare as blue eyed unicorns nowadays, that's why I feel you should enjoying them.

You deserve it.

Greetings from Germany!
JAHE,
Thank you very much for your kind words, your shaving suggestion, and your very thoughtful offer! I was quite floored by your offer! Completely unexpected. Thank you. As you were the only participant in what I now believe to be a poorly planned and executed PIF on my part, I was going to send you the Rex Ambassador anyway, as that was my intention. It gave me a DFS, but not as good as some other razors I’ve acquired in my quest for the perfect wet-shave. I’d rather pay it forward to someone here who would appreciate it, than try to sell it on a “Bay”. So, I’ll reserve it for a future PIF, one less complicated than my “Go Ahead, Make My Shave” train wreck.
In other news, I’m prepping for tonight’s shave with your suggestion: the .68 Timeless, T2 Simpson, and Le Pere Lucien soap (my first time with soap). And a PolSilver blade. It’s not the exact blade you so kindly offered, but I have a few tucks from a sampler I bought last year. I’ve found them to be very complimentary to my face, producing BBS shaves in several razors, even given my lack of skill.

6E2C8A5E-F7D3-424E-833E-E881CC7389BA.jpeg

Thanks again for reaching out! I always wanted another friend from Germany! Your comments and offer are much appreciated! Hold on to those blue-eyed unicorns until I run out of PolSilver Iridium’s!!!😆

Curly

P.S. I’ll post post-shave results later tonight.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Last edited:
Modern May SOTD, same as Fri. afternoon.

Preshave wash w/Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Oil soap
Harry's preshave scrub
Maggard MR8 handle mated to Muhle R41 head.
Personna Med Prep blade
Proraso pre-shave
Proraso sensitive skin shaving cream
Naked Armor stainless Steel scuttle
Perfecto badger (badger badger) hair brush
Zingari Man Recovery Splash

9.5/10. No, still haven't moved to the Vikings Blade or Merkurs. This week... probably. Maybe. Depends on whether I feel like it. Thing is, I really like the results from this Maggard-Muhle Frankenrazor. It's given me a terrific shave each time, no issues. And, well, it's literally right there in front of me, rather than on the top of the medicine cabinet in a repurposed test tube rack w/the rest of my collection. So, when in doubt, bet on inertia.

-Z

I'm late to the party, but I'll still play... Just for the fun of it.

Pick the Simpson T2 and whip up the LPL, aim for a well hydrated later (don't be frugal with the amount of swirls whilst picking up the lather).
As per the razor pick the Timeless .68 SS and add the Wizamet SI, a fresh one.

Enjoy 😀
JAHE:

After action report: I took your suggestions to the shave den, which my lovely bride still calls the upstairs bathroom, or possibly “the loo” for y’all across the pond. Or is that just England and you Germans call it a shave den also, regardless of what your wife calls it?

Before I detail my struggles, allow me to report the results - a BBS shave after two passes on my cheeks and four on my chins. I’d include a photo, but I have the face best-suited for radio. One weeper, but that’s on chin number three that I nicked yesterday with a Blackbird.

My difficulties lie in using a soap for the first time. I wasn’t sure if I should try to put soap in my shave bowl (it’s as hard as American Algebra and I couldn’t get it out), soak the brush and lather in the soap bowl then face lather, build a lather in the soap bowl (which was too full of soap to hold lather without dumping it on the countertop), or just keep swirling and then dumping lather into the shave bowl, spilling onto the countertop, and/or applying to my face. I chose this last option as it seemed natural because that’s what happened.

Loved the shave and the scent! First time with this technique and product. Looking online now for “Shaving for the Shave Soap-challenged”.

Thanks JAHE for your input and comments! The shave turned out great even though the “wheels came off my wagon” during the technique.

If I was better at this, then I wouldn’t need B&B’s help.

Curly Out

P.S. No white towels were harmed during this shave. Almost forgot, the Official-Approved-Scent Department won’t get to cast her vote until tomorrow. But I liked it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom