What's new

MIND THE GAP - Club for Aggressive Razor Shavers

The only reason I didn't mention Yates, and have held off doing so recently, is because of his pre-order fiasco with the build-to-order. Only a few people are getting their razors months later and no communication from him. If you don't know, this is exactly how Karve got the reputation they have. That aside, if you do get it, enjoy your new razor. That's a very good choice.
Thanks for the heads up. He and I have exchanged a few emails this morning so maybe things are looking up.

The only reason I didn't mention Yates, and have held off doing so recently, is because of his pre-order fiasco with the build-to-order. Only a few people are getting their razors months later and no communication from him. If you don't know, this is exactly how Karve got the reputation they have. That aside, if you do get it, enjoy your new razor. That's a very good choice.
Just as a follow up, 10 days and it was delivered. I just got back from a trip so it'll have to be tomorrow morning's shave.

I have a couple of Yates. I like them. They give good diversity from other razors with the angle and feel. I also remember signing up for his "design your razor" or something like that. Two years ago. Never heard from him. No worries. Have no need of more razors and there was no money down.

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing your configuration.
I ended up with the 921-EH in 316L Bead Blasted. I took it for it's maiden voyage this morning. The angle required is wonderful! It is such a steep angle with a very narrow efficiency window. It will take a few days to learn how it works best on my face. My chief complaint is the thickness of the handle. I prefer a stouter feel in my hand. It does not lack in weight. which is good, just the tactile experience I like with a bigger handle. I'm very pleased and greatly appreciate the off handed recommendation ;)

20230128_102305.jpg

The first thing that stands out is that blade gap combined with the OC, wonderful! :devil:

The thing I can't tell, is that handle thick enough? The old handles looked like a joke. The angle sounds like my Timeless, but it's pretty mild really. Even though I don't love that angle, the Yates were the ones that I thought about the longest... until the pre-order fiasco. Which is apparently over with, hmm. Thanks for the update.

The first thing that stands out is that blade gap combined with the OC, wonderful! :devil:

The thing I can't tell, is that handle thick enough? The old handles looked like a joke. The angle sounds like my Timeless, but it's pretty mild really. Even though I don't love that angle, the Yates were the ones that I thought about the longest... until the pre-order fiasco. Which is apparently over with, hmm. Thanks for the update.
Let me try to shed a little perspective. My go to handle is the Razorock HD. It measures at a diameter of 12.75mm at it widest. The Yates measures 10.50mm (the flared base is 12.00mm but I don't hold the razor anywhere the bottom). The Fatip Piccalo 10.0mm. The Yates handle is 88.50mm in length.
I don't have any of the razors in your signature to compare.
I've owned 2 Timeless razors and ended up giving both away because I just didn't like how they shaved my face. The Yates isn't anything like I remember the Timeless to be.

Let me try to shed a little perspective. My go to handle is the Razorock HD. It measures at a diameter of 12.75mm at it widest. The Yates measures 10.50mm (the flared base is 12.00mm but I don't hold the razor anywhere the bottom). The Fatip Piccalo 10.0mm. The Yates handle is 88.50mm in length.
I don't have any of the razors in your signature to compare.
I've owned 2 Timeless razors and ended up giving both away because I just didn't like how they shaved my face. The Yates isn't anything like I remember the Timeless to be.
Thanks for further info. Yeah, after I typed that I remembered how different the Yates is to a Timeless. It was more the extremely steep angle, but the Yates bends the blade similar to my Hensons so it's more like a steeper version of those. I like the look of the new stand he is turning out!

I finally tried the Gillette Nacet blade. Very very impressed! In my new Yates 921-EH it out preformed the Personna Lab Blue and equaled the Feather but I think the Nacet was smoother. I hesitate to say that definitively since it might just be about my technique as I learn the proper angles.

Today I received my RR SuperSlant L3. I'm pretty excited to give it a go. I still want a couple more days with my Yates first.
I broke down and tried the SuperSlant L# today with a Feather. I have to say I'm not impressed. I need to give it a few shaves but my first impression is that the shave is adequate at best. The angle needed requires a very narrow window. I did sustain a couple nicks on the chin just trying to keep the angle correct. My Lupo .95 OC provides a more efficient shave but the SS is a tad bit "smoother". I really don't care about smooth, I care about efficient. I think that based on a single shave the Fatip Lo Storto is a better slant. I'll give this a few more days and try another couple different blades. We'll see how it goes.

I broke down and tried the SuperSlant L# today with a Feather. I have to say I'm not impressed. I need to give it a few shaves but my first impression is that the shave is adequate at best. The angle needed requires a very narrow window. I did sustain a couple nicks on the chin just trying to keep the angle correct. My Lupo .95 OC provides a more efficient shave but the SS is a tad bit "smoother". I really don't care about smooth, I care about efficient. I think that based on a single shave the Fatip Lo Storto is a better slant. I'll give this a few more days and try another couple different blades. We'll see how it goes.
Well another shave with the SS L3 today. Nope, no more. After the first pass I pulled the fresh Nacet blade out and put it into my Lupo .95 OC to finish the shave. Too bad, I had such high hopes for this razor. It's also very big and difficult to maneuver arourd the edges of my horseshoe.

It's also very big and difficult to maneuver arourd the edges of my horseshoe.
It's probably better to part ways now as the unevenness(left vs right) of these slants will eventually re-shape any facial hair however it decides(from experience). Having a bulky head just makes this more likely. I thought about one for a while, but have other slants gathering dust for the same reasons as this one probably would.

I finally tried the Gillette Nacet blade. Very very impressed! In my new Yates 921-EH it out preformed the Personna Lab Blue and equaled the Feather but I think the Nacet was smoother. I hesitate to say that definitively since it might just be about my technique as I learn the proper angles.
I have to say, the more I use this Yates 921-EH the more impressed I am with it. Today I used a Perma-Sharp blade and did a 100% ATG only shave. I almost never need a shave this close, but I thought what the hell, let's see what happens. 2 nicks on my neck from getting complacent, but other than that, almost irritation free. 7 hours later and still no irritation. I'm now going to order a titanium version for my head. That razor won't fall into this group though. My head requires a more "gentle" touch. I might just order another EH plate though just to have a titanium razor for my face as well. We'll see, I've never been a fan of light razors for my face.

I have to say, the more I use this Yates 921-EH the more impressed I am with it. Today I used a Perma-Sharp blade and did a 100% ATG only shave. I almost never need a shave this close, but I thought what the hell, let's see what happens. 2 nicks on my neck from getting complacent, but other than that, almost irritation free. 7 hours later and still no irritation. I'm now going to order a titanium version for my head. That razor won't fall into this group though. My head requires a more "gentle" touch. I might just order another EH plate though just to have a titanium razor for my face as well. We'll see, I've never been a fan of light razors for my face.
I really like this Yates 921. I keep trying some of my other razors but I just keep going back to the Yates. Still not sold on the handle diameter but I haven't had it slip on me once. Considering the price, I really think that this is the best bang for my buck out there. The steepness of the angle might make this hard to use for some folks, but I find it perfect. The manufacturing is excellent.
I have found oddity of this razor, it doesn't like Feathers. I have no issues with Feathers in any other razor that I use. Nacet's work wonderfully. I need to revisit Kai's in this razor.

Still not sold on the handle diameter but I haven't had it slip on me once.
Hopefully the thick handles will return at some point, I know a few people on here that want to grab one.

Thanks for continuing to post even though this thread isn't getting much attention. I should post something about my Micromatic, my only true aggressive razor, soon.

I'd like to hear about the Micromatic's performance when you get around to it.
Activity ebbs and flows. I'm sure something will happen soon. Maybe we should simulcast from a local "gentlemen's club"? (I could go one hundred different ways with innuendos at this point.) I bet that would drive up activity ;););)

I finally got around to using the Micromatic Open Comb again

full

and I am not sure I can call this aggressive anymore. These GEM blades just have a certain feel to them that is very much like using a shavette, but I don't think I can attribute much of it to the razor. It is more effective than my Bullet Tip, but that thing takes too many passes to get to the same point. That's why I got this one, to see if it did provide that little bit more that I wanted. I think the open comb is a real asset with these blades as they were very clearly holding onto lather allowing me to do little touch ups without causing irritation. You do need to have some really good control, like a half DE shavette, though or these GEM blades touching dry areas of skin will bite and even leave a bump afterwards! So maybe it still is aggressive because of the blade that it takes?

So this weekend I had some time with nothing going on, some time on my hands, and in need of a head shave. I decided it was time to try my Yates 921-EH on my head. Keep in mind that my usual razor for my head is my Razorock GC .68 SB with an Astra SP. My head head is "delicate" ;) I loaded a Nacet (so far this blade and razor combination is the best I have found), broke out the scuttle, and used my own hand made soap.
I focused on slow and steady. I focused on technique. I usually don't have time to really focus when I shave my head. Let me tell you though, this time I did. I was a little more nervous than the first time I used my R41 on my head.
It was a very efficient shave. Comfortable? No, not really. There is a ton of blade feel with this razor. On my face, I pretty much have switched to this Yates exclusively, but for my head it was a bit much. I made it though the shave with only 1 nick (in a spot that I nick a lot with all different razors) and 1 weeper. My head was the smoothest I can remember feeling. Absolutely no reason to have a shave this close, but it is nice to know that I can.
I'm really blown away by this razor!

I ended up with the 921-EH in 316L Bead Blasted. I took it for it's maiden voyage this morning. The angle required is wonderful! It is such a steep angle with a very narrow efficiency window. It will take a few days to learn how it works best on my face. My chief complaint is the thickness of the handle. I prefer a stouter feel in my hand. It does not lack in weight. which is good, just the tactile experience I like with a bigger handle. I'm very pleased and greatly appreciate the off handed recommendation ;)

View attachment 1595984

Hi everyone.

Just found this awesome forum and signed up straight away (I don't usually ever sign up to forums right away, but this place seems great) as I was looking to ask a bunch of questions in regard to shaving with razors that use safety razor blades. I just started wet shaving my head with safety razor blades and I've been looking for a good shaving soap to try. I just saw this picture of this one you used and it seems very interesting. I currently have been using Taconic shaving cream (it's the only one I've used apart from a local shave soap I bought here in AU that I only used once as I didn't like it, so I just stuck to the Taconic). I was looking to try something tallow based and was wondering how this would compare to the Taconic shaving cream I've been using? Hopefully this brand is available to buy in Australia.

So this weekend I had some time with nothing going on, some time on my hands, and in need of a head shave. I decided it was time to try my Yates 921-EH on my head. Keep in mind that my usual razor for my head is my Razorock GC .68 SB with an Astra SP. My head head is "delicate" ;) I loaded a Nacet (so far this blade and razor combination is the best I have found), broke out the scuttle, and used my own hand made soap.
I focused on slow and steady. I focused on technique. I usually don't have time to really focus when I shave my head. Let me tell you though, this time I did. I was a little more nervous than the first time I used my R41 on my head.
It was a very efficient shave. Comfortable? No, not really. There is a ton of blade feel with this razor. On my face, I pretty much have switched to this Yates exclusively, but for my head it was a bit much. I made it though the shave with only 1 nick (in a spot that I nick a lot with all different razors) and 1 weeper. My head was the smoothest I can remember feeling. Absolutely no reason to have a shave this close, but it is nice to know that I can.
I'm really blown away by this razor!

Not sure if I should be starting a new post/thread for this, but was trying to figure out if I should buy a new DE Razor or if it's the safety razor blades I should be focusing on, or perhaps even technique?
I'm having trouble with my head shaves as they're not as smooth as I've like. Back of the head usually feels pretty stubbly after 2-3 passes in certain areas, and then when I do more passes, I usually end up with nicks and cuts, and it's also taking me a long time to do (usually 45 minutes on average). I usually also go 2-3 days between head shaves as I just don't have the time to do it everyday, so that is another reason I like to try and get it decently smooth so it lasts 2 or so days between head shaves.
The current razors I've tried are Leaf Shave, Leaf Thorn and a cheap Schick DE safety razor (I can find a link if you guys need to see it. I am guessing it's not a very good handle, though as it only cost about $15/$20).

Anyway, probably the Leaf Thorn gives me the best shave (I find the Leaf Shave too bulky and hard to get around certain places on my head and some areas at the top back on the sides are usually left with some rough patches I can't seem to get down). I'd rate the Leaf Shave second and the Schick DE razor 3rd.

Just curious what you guys think? Not sure if I should start another thread or continue asking in here. I can also list all the blades I've tried and what I think of them. Maybe that can help determine if I need to keep trying other blades, or if it's my technique, or if I should try a different/more aggressive/less aggressive DE safety razor.

Top Bottom