What's new

MIND THE GAP - Club for Aggressive Razor Shavers

Since there's no club for those who sometimes (or always) incorporate aggressive razors in their routine, here it is.

This isn't meant to be a 'tough guy' club, or a 'status'. Both mild and aggressive razors will get us to the same end-point, most will agree, and most of us have been 'beaten' by mild razors all the same.

Sometimes I like to take the mild route and take in the nuances of stubble reduction. Other times, I want to grab a power tool and mow 'em down.

Ladies and Gents, if you enjoy using hardware that may require a bit more 'respect' and have some 'beasts' in your rotation, this club is for you!

$mind_the_gap02.jpg

I've used two razors in my first year of DE shaving. An R89 and an R41. The R41 has given me far better and more comfortable shaves. Seems like the more aggressive of the two works for me.

My two favorite razors are a Merkur Slant and a Gillette Old Type Open Comb.

Does that qualify me?

You're the ultimate judge here. Based upon my own impressions, however, a 37C, in its scything and fairly open gap, is aggressive. It + Feather is my most recent shave... I thought it to be significant (YMMV). :001_smile

I've used two razors in my first year of DE shaving. An R89 and an R41. The R41 has given me far better and more comfortable shaves. Seems like the more aggressive of the two works for me.
Having both, I have exactly the same experience. I wonder why R89 (DE89) is so much recommended for beginners. I have decided to trade/sell both for a slant. If a slant is accepted for this club I will join it once I get one.

For me most aggressive is this Kabrand...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mind the gap compared with Slim on 9 :)

proxy.php

It actually shaves ok, but you must be careful in order to avoid cuts and irritation.

For me most aggressive is this Kabrand...

Mind the gap compared with Slim on 9 :)

proxy.php

It actually shaves ok, but you must be careful in order to avoid cuts and irritation.

As soon as I saw that picture I knew I'd seen it before, and now I know from where. I saw it right before they put me under and took out my appendix.

R41 (2011) I won't be looking for a more aggressive shave. EVER. I have learned my razor well and now it is a keeper and part of the rotation.

I think a well honed straight might be milder on the first shave because it looks like a pit bull and not a poodle with a hidden attitude and a mouth full of ice picks. (i.e. You are warned visually)

Maybe your new club should be called Brotherhood of the Purple Heart.

R41 (2011) I won't be looking for a more aggressive shave. EVER. I have learned my razor well and now it is a keeper and part of the rotation.

I think a well honed straight might be milder on the first shave because it looks like a pit bull and not a poodle with a hidden attitude and a mouth full of ice picks. (i.e. You are warned visually)

Maybe your new club should be called Brotherhood of the Purple Heart.

2011 supposedly has a 'canyon' for blade exposure. I haven't tried either that or the 2013, but will probably get one someday out of curiosity.

My more aggressive razors have all been very gentle, but I'm sure there's something out there that's too aggressive for my beard too.

Gillette Adjustables on 9 is as aggressive as I can get...

However I have shaved with a Feather AC SS straight....Never once cut myself only one small weeper once, out of about 7 shaves. I decided I wanted a Fatboy more though. I began shaving with all my adjustables on 9 and not turning them down after owning the Feather. I learned what no pressure is, and I am getting better shaves now with NO irritation and NO cuts/weepers.

Top Bottom