What's new

MIND THE GAP - Club for Aggressive Razor Shavers

Many years in now. Can you get a good shave from a mild razor? Yup - but despite all, I must profess my continued love for the aggressive side of DE shavers! Happy new year to all!
Nice. Not sure how your defining "aggressive" but I own only modern razors and buy the largest gaps offered. But I wouldn't characterize them as aggressive, which has a kind of harsh connotation to me.

Nice. Not sure how your defining "aggressive" but I own only modern razors and buy the largest gaps offered. But I wouldn't characterize them as aggressive, which has a kind of harsh connotation to me.
Yes, I suppose "aggressive" is a bit strong - it's an older term we used years back to describe larger gaps.

That's what I was wondering! It seems that vocabulary has evolved here over the years. Perhaps because some razors have been successful at creating large gap razors that are not aggressive?
Gap without blade exposure perhaps? "Mind The Blade Exposure" didn't sound as good, though! :pipe:

Well I do have a legitimately aggressive razor, the MicroMatic open comb. There is no room for inattention and it would be hard to ignore it's ever present blade feel. Given careful use, it gives me over 90% what the Blackbird does, but feels like doing a fire dance to get there. It's quite exhilarating, like free climbing.

(some exaggeration and hyperbole may have been used in this post)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
But "mild" razors are effective, too - in a scenic route vs. motorway kind of way.
This is very true. My Pre-War Tech is mild, but quite effective.

Aggressive implies a degree of unpredictability. That the razor, even with full focus by the person wielding the razor, can give you a nasty reminder that there is a blade in there.

Probably "high gap/high blade exposure" is a good descriptor, but kind of long.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I prefer David's term: effective. Or efficient if you want simpler, which would imply hi removal per pass at any cost. An effective razor would be one that does this without some unfortunate compromises.
Thank you, my friend. :)

In order to be highly effective, a razor has to have high scores on the required attributes: efficient, nimble & maneuverable, smooth and predictable.

Yep, an aggressive razor by definition is neither smooth nor predictable. I was kind of addressing the "vocabulary has evolved here" comment and missing that we do still have aggressive razors available(though some claim that the newer ones are smoothish, I remain unconvinced). With all the newer artisan razors, it would be easy to believe that we have moved passed the need for aggression to have efficiency. I still prefer my effective razors. :001_smile

Aggressive implies a degree of unpredictability.
On the behalf of the hands in control, save for bad edges. After a while of getting accustomed to use and honing technique of straights, I got to a level of comfort that was pretty much autopilot, but I have two implements that just don't allow anything less than full attention:

R-41 2011 and a Hoffritz shavette fitted with persona hair shaping blades. The unpredictability is of course my being prone to forgetting I'm shaving with one of those!

Yep, an aggressive razor by definition is neither smooth nor predictable. I was kind of addressing the "vocabulary has evolved here" comment and missing that we do still have aggressive razors available(though some claim that the newer ones are smoothish, I remain unconvinced). With all the newer artisan razors, it would be easy to believe that we have moved passed the need for aggression to have efficiency. I still prefer my effective razors. :001_smile
So, you think your Blackbird is efficient/aggressive? I'm trying to decide on pulling the trigger on one. I have a box full of razors that have promised to be efficient and even with the best of blades, require a high number of passes to get a good shave (I really don't buy into the whole BBS thing). I've been reading a lot about the Blackbird on here and it seems to be a wash between those who like it and those who don't. My daily driver is a Lupo .95 OC with a Feather. I am also thinking about a Chiseled Face Legacy. Ron promises that his razors are very efficient.

So, you think your Blackbird is efficient/aggressive? I'm trying to decide on pulling the trigger on one. I have a box full of razors that have promised to be efficient and even with the best of blades, require a high number of passes to get a good shave (I really don't buy into the whole BBS thing). I've been reading a lot about the Blackbird on here and it seems to be a wash between those who like it and those who don't. My daily driver is a Lupo .95 OC with a Feather. I am also thinking about a Chiseled Face Legacy. Ron promises that his razors are very efficient.
It's definitely efficient, you will find others that agree. I worked my way up the ladder of blade exposure, trying to find a little bit more without getting something harsh. In all honesty, the new Blackbird Lite would be closer to your Lupo. If you can handle some weight, the Green Cult 2.0 razors are a great bargain according to people I trust. The plate 3 would be about the same as the Blackbird and there is still a plate 4. Those would probably feel more familiar than transitioning to a Blackbird, it has a very shallow shaving angle that some people find difficult to adapt to. Others have managed, but it has a pointy safety bar that makes it hard to start on the bar, you really have to place it accurately and that requires learning the razor. I have heard of somebody else with the Legacy, but not enough information yet.

It's definitely efficient, you will find others that agree. I worked my way up the ladder of blade exposure, trying to find a little bit more without getting something harsh. In all honesty, the new Blackbird Lite would be closer to your Lupo. If you can handle some weight, the Green Cult 2.0 razors are a great bargain according to people I trust. The plate 3 would be about the same as the Blackbird and there is still a plate 4. Those would probably feel more familiar than transitioning to a Blackbird, it has a very shallow shaving angle that some people find difficult to adapt to. Others have managed, but it has a pointy safety bar that makes it hard to start on the bar, you really have to place it accurately and that requires learning the razor. I have heard of somebody else with the Legacy, but not enough information yet.

Thanks for the info. Oh, I prefer weight! I'm not sure though about the shallow angle. I'm sure I can learn but prefer steep (the steeper the better).

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have a Muhle R41 Grande SS, Wolfman WR1 .80 OC, Blackbird OC, RR Lupo .95 OC and a DSCosmetic Z0. I think at least one of those would make a suitable door pass into this club.

Based on your comments, I decided to go with a Yates. I configured it with a Extra High Efficiency base plate in an open comb. I know you didn't mention Yates but your comment about angle pushed me in this direction.

Based on your comments, I decided to go with a Yates. I configured it with a Extra High Efficiency base plate in an open comb. I know you didn't mention Yates but your comment about angle pushed me in this direction.
The only reason I didn't mention Yates, and have held off doing so recently, is because of his pre-order fiasco with the build-to-order. Only a few people are getting their razors months later and no communication from him. If you don't know, this is exactly how Karve got the reputation they have. That aside, if you do get it, enjoy your new razor. That's a very good choice.

So this is my daily driver: Having great success with WTG and light touchups. Any other Bakelite slant fans here? Aggressive or efficient- what say you?
proxy.php

So this is my daily driver: Having great success with WTG and light touchups. Any other Bakelite slant fans here? Aggressive or efficient- what say you?
There definitely are fans here, but I have the El Phant(whatever). Mine is more efficient than aggressive, but I have been looking to get the clear version of yours because it's been rated as aggressive! :devil:

Top Bottom