What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm telling a @Flintstone65 ya gotta try a nine razor shave like I did.:001_302:
Don't do it. Seriously it was ridiculous.
Don't worry, I won't!!! Of course, I say that, and before I know it I'll have dragged out as many razors as I can find (I often hide them in various places so SWMBO doesn't leave me on the spot, then I forget where I've put the dang things. Anyway, I'm going to start small with a daily double.

So, the daily double was built upon my desire to use my collection, but later realized that some work better than others on some parts. For example, the Schick Type E is unsurpassed around my nose.
I am looking forward to those types of discoveries....as well as getting to try and use my collection before I completely forget about what I've got. So many razors, so little time. While I didn't quote your other comment, I like your "knock down" pass. It is how I always think about my first pass -- I know I'm never going to stop at one pass, so I don't worry about how "close" it is....it's just the preamble to the real action and detail work. ;)

I am contemplating the razor(s) I'll be using for Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday). Haven't made up my mind yet -- how about y'all? Anybody know (or heavily suspect) what they'll be using on Monday? I'll post my setup tomorrow, but if you know in advance, feel free to share it.

I will use my MMBT again for a free and easy shave.

Flintstone65

I also want to share a quick travel story. I'm sure I mentioned that I do travel with a couple of safety razors (the blades are either left in a bag at my hotel, or in a checked bag). I always put the razors themselves in an easily accessible area of my carry-on bag in their own pouch. I've been flying a lot lately, it's the nature of my work, and depending on the airport I either get whisked through quickly or everyone gathers around the x-ray machine trying to decide whether to check out my bag or let it go through.

This last trip I had my GEM 1912 and my Gem Jr Bar -- by the way, the head of the Gem Jr Bar fits nicely wrapped in a microfiber glass cloth inside a prescription pill bottle. So the TSA gentleman pulls me aside, makes a beeline for the pouch with the razors, unzips the pouch and starts with the small alum block that is in there. Before he even opens the pouch, I identify myself as "traditional" shaver who uses and collects vintage safety razors. He lights up and says, "that is so cool, I really want to try that". It always seems to be the bearded guys who are most open to the idea. Anyway, he asks what the alum block is, and I quickly explain, then he moves on to the Gem 1912, and he's peering inside of it, trying to see if there is a blade. I tell him he can open it with the tab that presses down, but when he tries it the spring is so tight (and he didn't want to break it) he just said that's okay and put it all back. He tells me again that it seems like a really great idea, and I agree with the caveat that it is harder to travel with....which makes him laugh and agree. Another nice shaving moment.

I'm constantly trying to engage people about their shaving habits, but no matter how I do it, most people look at me like I asked what brand and size of jock-strap they use when playing sports. No matter, I will continue to push the bounds of good taste and manners in the name of spreading the word of fine shaving.

I'm constantly trying to engage people about their shaving habits, but no matter how I do it, most people look at me like I asked what brand and size of jock-strap they use when playing sports. No matter, I will continue to push the bounds of good taste and manners in the name of spreading the word of fine shaving.

:jump::jump::jump::hand::frown2:

Flintstone65

I will use my MMBT again for a free and easy shave.
Excellent choice. I'm waffling between my MMBT (which was what I was going to do) or my GEM Pushbutton (which @Twelvefret reminded me of with his earlier post). I really need to try the GEM PB -- I've had it for ages and haven't used it yet. But I adore the MMBT it really does provide a "free and easy shave". Either way, I'll likely pair on of the GEMS with a DE for a little spice. Looking forward to hearing about your shave!!!

Excellent choice. I'm waffling between my MMBT (which was what I was going to do) or my GEM Pushbutton (which @Twelvefret reminded me of with his earlier post). I really need to try the GEM PB -- I've had it for ages and haven't used it yet. But I adore the MMBT it really does provide a "free and easy shave". Either way, I'll likely pair on of the GEMS with a DE for a little spice. Looking forward to hearing about your shave!!!

Maybe a daily double with the MMBT and PB might be in order......:a21:

Flintstone65

Maybe a daily double with the MMBT and PB might be in order......:a21:
Certainly a logical solution to my dilemma, but I've got my heart set on a DE-SE combo. My weekly combo will undoubtedly be the GEM Pushbutton and the Ikon X3, but I have another early start on Monday *sigh*, so perhaps I'll load up the MMBT instead of getting super fancy with two razors, and then it'll be a true Micromatic Monday. Decisions...decisions....

Certainly a logical solution to my dilemma, but I've got my heart set on a DE-SE combo. My weekly combo will undoubtedly be the GEM Pushbutton and the Ikon X3, but I have another early start on Monday *sigh*, so perhaps I'll load up the MMBT instead of getting super fancy with two razors, and then it'll be a true Micromatic Monday. Decisions...decisions....

A good reminder that I should dust off my X3 later this week!

I find it easy to pick which safety razor to use. DE or SE? New LC or Gem 1912? I generally just alternate. :)

Thank you. Glad to see others enjoying multiple razor shaves.
I have been using mostly SE lately and rarely use just one razor any more.
Check out this thread to see what I was referring to earlier Extremely rare Schick injector slant razor!!

I have several straight razors and need to get them out more.

Today's Gem Jr. Bar shave was very close and comfortable. The slim adjustable was used by my wife to clean up the back of my neck.
Hot towel and Noxzema pre shave
Stirling bay rum with two band badger with a few drops of glycerin.
Gem Jr. Bar with Pal carbon 3rd flip with a piece of credit card for a shim.
Which hazel splash and Proraso cream aftershave.

View attachment 972205

That brush goes so well with that scuttle and that PAL goes well with the Gem as well! Great SOTD!

@Flintstone65 some pill bottles can be connected together if you want to use them for something a bit longer, you just have to cut a hole in the cap. I also use hard glasses cases to keep some of my razors in, but i only use the glasses cases for storage in a drawer, not sure I'd trust them for traveling. I keep a desiccant pack or two in with the razors.

20190414_173627.jpg
20190414_173707.jpg

20190414_173739.jpg

That brush goes so well with that scuttle and that PAL goes well with the Gem as well! Great SOTD!

It looks really good with it, however I find the scuttle to be quite small now that I'm using something bigger than a 22mm knot.
I want to get a soapstone bowl.

Flintstone65

@Flintstone65 some pill bottles can be connected together if you want to use them for something a bit longer, you just have to cut a hole in the cap. I also use hard glasses cases to keep some of my razors in, but i only use the glasses cases for storage in a drawer, not sure I'd trust them for traveling. I keep a desiccant pack or two in with the razors.

View attachment 972449 View attachment 972448

View attachment 972447
Brilliant idea connecting the bottles, and I thought I was being slick just using the bottle :lol1:. I use glass cases for storage as well, but I agree that I'm not sure I'd trust them for traveling. And I'm also a heavy user of desiccant packs...at least for those things metal things with high carbon content (knives, blades, tools, etc); and admittedly I throw some in with the razors even though mine are mostly plated and/or brass. The Gold OT with the Gold MMOC just makes an awesome combination....I shall remember that!

Brilliant idea connecting the bottles, and I thought I was being slick just using the bottle :lol1:. I use glass cases for storage as well, but I agree that I'm not sure I'd trust them for traveling. And I'm also a heavy user of desiccant packs...at least for those things metal things with high carbon content (knives, blades, tools, etc); and admittedly I throw some in with the razors even though mine are mostly plated and/or brass. The Gold OT with the Gold MMOC just makes an awesome combination....I shall remember that!

The foam was loose so I figured it would be good for keeping them from rubbing together. But that is an MMBT.
I drilled some small holes in the pill bottles for ventilation. I originally made that for my first brush when traveling.

Flintstone65

The foam was loose so I figured it would be good for keeping them from rubbing together. But that is an MMBT.
I drilled some small holes in the pill bottles for ventilation. I originally made that for my first brush when traveling.
Oh man, of course it's an MMBT and NOT an MMOC!!! Geez, I'm gonna need to turn in my GEM card :a52:

@Flintstone65 I haven't tried the Gem carbon but the Pal carbon are fine for me.
I was just going to say you need your eyes checked. But I didn't want to be rude. Your banging your head on a brick wall and @Twelvefret is hitting you with a chair. Man this is a lot rougher crowd than I thought.

Top Bottom