What's new

Micromatic Monday

I’ll disagree with @jmudrick based of the fact that a Schick Injector is nothing like the design of a MMOC which allows it to be more easy and effective on some facial regions. No amount of technique will allow you to shave under the nose with a GEM as easily as with a Schick type E.

Also, I do daily doubles for fun and not always by necessity.
In terms of handling that's a very valid point, (though nothing to do with the point about adjustables) .I do occasionally touch up the little divot underneath my nose with another razor because the Gems are indeed not at their best at that angle-- or going sideways as ASR recommended.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Thank you everyone, I appreciate all of your responses. I had originally tried doing a daily double as a way to get more use out of my various (and sometimes untried) razors. I enjoyed the experience, but this was back when I could take and enjoy an hour long shave. That said, I think I'm going to try something really novel (for me), which is to occasionally try a DE with an SE. It's been many months since I've shaved with a DE -- basically, I never looked back once I started using GEM blades and injectors. Before jumping to SE and even a little bit after, I was still scooping up DE razors, so I've got a long list of untried ones. It's time to start using these things, and a daily double (or triple) would allow me to use and enjoy more razors. I'll give some thought as to what to pair with what. Some of the last DE's I purchased were Slants, so maybe it'll be a Slant/Micromatic Monday....we shall see, we shall see.

@GAW, thanks for that tip GAW! Ummmm, I've never seen that used before. I guess it's sort of a "LIKE" button ?
Flint, thanks for the kind words. I've got to say, I was VERY lucky "right out the gate" with my new Hobby finding a near pristine condition Gillette (D4) Fatboy at a Flea Market for eight dollars! Heck, I had no idea I had purchase a desirable Gillette. I dear say, I'm betting (back in the day) my Dad had this very same Gillette FATBOY model back in 1958 as it sure does looks familiar. Of course, I was just a little kid in 1958 (age three) but, I sure do remember this Razor! Ahhh yes, Cats! I love em. I've owned/cared for fifteen Cats (thus far) in my adult life.
I once owned (at the same time) six Cats. Then seven however, I kept the name SixCats! I presently have four Kitties! Here is a Kitty picture of one of my favorite Cats "ODIN" (The Viking God). Odin has "Finnish" Blood lines hence the name Odin (plus I'm a big fan of the TV Show VIKINGS). ODIN is now about a year old. Odin is a Monkey!
proxy.php

Flintstone65

@GAW, thanks for that tip GAW! Ummmm, I've never seen that used before. I guess it's sort of a "LIKE" button ?
Flint, thanks for the kind words. I've got to say, I was VERY lucky "right out the gate" with my new Hobby finding a near pristine condition Gillette (D4) Fatboy at a Flea Market for eight dollars! Heck, I had no idea I had purchase a desirable Gillette. I dear say, I'm betting (back in the day) my Dad had this very same Gillette FATBOY model back in 1958 as it sure does looks familiar. Of course, I was just a little kid in 1958 (age three) but, I sure do remember this Razor! Ahhh yes, Cats! I love em. I've owned/cared for fifteen Cats (thus far) in my adult life.
I once owned (at the same time) six Cats. Then seven however, I kept the name SixCats! I presently have four Kitties! Here is a Kitty picture of one of my favorite Cats "ODIN" (The Viking God). Odin has "Finnish" Blood lines hence the name Odin (plus I'm a big fan of the TV Show VIKINGS). ODIN is now about a year old. Odin is a Monkey!
proxy.php
Odin, what a great name!!! And love those ears!!! They all have very distinctive personalities, but the monkeyish and devilish ones usually turn out to be my favorites as well.

Are the props regarding multiple razors or what I did to my recently acquired Schick?
The MMOC and MMCP are definitely close contenders in the efficiency department. And the MMBT is great when a milder shave is desired.

Props for encouraging the multiple razors, especially the injectors. I can’t quite contemplate a straight yet! I have barely had time for shaving lately, let alone B&B, but after a couple of thousand miles of driving, life seems to be returning to normal. Shave on!

Props for encouraging the multiple razors, especially the injectors. I can’t quite contemplate a straight yet! I have barely had time for shaving lately, let alone B&B, but after a couple of thousand miles of driving, life seems to be returning to normal. Shave on!

Thank you. Glad to see others enjoying multiple razor shaves.
I have been using mostly SE lately and rarely use just one razor any more.
Check out this thread to see what I was referring to earlier Extremely rare Schick injector slant razor!!
I have several straight razors and need to get them out more.

Today's Gem Jr. Bar shave was very close and comfortable. The slim adjustable was used by my wife to clean up the back of my neck.
Hot towel and Noxzema pre shave
Stirling bay rum with two band badger with a few drops of glycerin.
Gem Jr. Bar with Pal carbon 3rd flip with a piece of credit card for a shim.
Which hazel splash and Proraso cream aftershave.

20190413_214056.jpg

Flintstone65

Check out this thread to see what I was referring to earlier Extremely rare Schick injector slant razor!!

Today's Gem Jr. Bar shave was very close and comfortable. The slim adjustable was used by my wife to clean up the back of my neck.

View attachment 972205
Beautiful setup!!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

View attachment 972205
A couple of great looking classic's you own there @GAW9576 , easy to get a nice shave with good gear!
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

I am contemplating the razor(s) I'll be using for Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday). Haven't made up my mind yet -- how about y'all? Anybody know (or heavily suspect) what they'll be using on Monday? I'll post my setup tomorrow, but if you know in advance, feel free to share it.

I've noticed the interest right now is for going back in the GEM design history/evolution. Not many are talking about the Push Button or G-Bar aka Flat Top models. No complaint, just an observation. :thumbup1::thumbup::yinyang:

Jumped the gun and used my MMOC today - I shave every other day. I marvel at this razor every time I use it.

I do find I like a fresh blade - I'm probably replacing the blade after around 5 shaves. Don't have to, but it's just nicer. I don't know how many of you do the same. Talking usual PTFEs here.

So, can we discuss something. I was reminded yesterday on the DE section that the GEM MMOC was the first TTO razor. The 1934 Aristocrat is considered by many, including me, as the pinnacle in Gillette's design before or after. This was Gillette's first TTO.

What about the GEM head design makes it unique in your opinion? Does the angled head prove to be an advantage over the non angled head of the Gillette razor and why in your opinion? Or in other words, if you were to angle the Gillette to resemble the angle of the GEM MMOC, would/could the shave be similar and if not why? Is the flat surface on the GEM the advantage?

In some ways I think the early Schick Type E to be the best of both worlds and was being produced during the same mid 1930's as the MMOC and '34 Aristocrat. That was a very good mid decade era for shaving.

Jumped the gun and used my MMOC today - I shave every other day. I marvel at this razor every time I use it.

I do find I like a fresh blade - I'm probably replacing the blade after around 5 shaves. Don't have to, but it's just nicer. I don't know how many of you do the same. Talking usual PTFEs here.

I use so many razors that when the PTFE gets dull, I change.

So, can we discuss something. I was reminded yesterday on the DE section that the GEM MMOC was the first TTO razor. The 1934 Aristocrat is considered by many, including me, as the pinnacle in Gillette's design before or after. This was Gillette's first TTO.

What about the GEM head design makes it unique in your opinion? Does the angled head prove to be an advantage over the non angled head of the Gillette razor and why in your opinion? Or in other words, if you were to angle the Gillette to resemble the angle of the GEM MMOC, would/could the shave be similar and if not why? Is the flat surface on the GEM the advantage?

In some ways I think the early Schick Type E to be the best of both worlds and was being produced during the same mid 1930's as the MMOC and '34 Aristocrat. That was a very good mid decade era for shaving.
Personally for me, the flat skin cap position works better for my skin. I have found out that the best razor designs that accomplish this very easily are all the gem razor blades, some injectors and the shavettes. I haven't tried any straight razor and so far I have used very few De.

The E2 Injector makes me lazy and I can use is it non stop. The gem 1912 is an effortless shave. Shavette is excellent but needs a very good technique and concentration.

Personally for me, the flat skin cap position works better for my skin. I have found out that the best razor designs that accomplish this very easily are all the gem razor blades, some injectors and the shavettes. I haven't tried any straight razor and so far I have used very few De.

The E2 Injector makes me lazy and I can use is it non stop. The gem 1912 is an effortless shave. Shavette is excellent but needs a very good technique and concentration.

Good post and thank you. :)

Flintstone65

Hmmm, I do not have an Aristocrat, I've got a Milord, and a handful of various Super Speeds (various years and tip colors), plus the usual adjustables (Fatboy, Slim, Black Beauty); and I have to say I was never a giant TTO fan until I got the MMOC. Mechanically, the Gillette TTO's just seemed to fragile (and dare I say cheap feeling)....lazy doors, no quarter turn, gritty, clicky, etc. The shaves were always fine, but the "magic" of loading a blade into the TTO was always diminished by the mechanism for me. Then I got my first GEM, which was a Micromatic. Beautiful lines, built like a tank, and so far (knock wood) everyone I've gotten has had a smooth and "commanding" TTO mechanism. To me, GEM got the TTO mechanism right on the first try, and subsequent Micromatics kept that perfection going.

As for the top angle, I certainly understand and would largely agree with @albsat's comment -- the angle of the GEMs (especially the Micromatics) just feel more intuitive and better on my face. I just recently (as in yesterday) used one of my DE's (it has been probably 6 months or more of only SE usage), and I had a very nice shave -- it was an Ikon X3 Slant with an OSS handle. The angle was much steeper than my Micromatics (obviously), and it was my first time using this particular model/razor so I ended up giving myself a nick and a few weepers, but overall I was surprised at how mild this razor felt, yet still efficient. That said, my muscle memory seems to be more fine tuned for my GEMs (probably from the almost nonstop usage), and I prefer the feel of the thicker GEM/Injector blades and the audio I get with the GEMs.

I'm going to try some multi-razor shaves -- partly because I'm very susceptible to peer pressure (thanks @GAW9576, @Twelvefret, and @Tanuki), but mostly because I really need to get some untried razors into rotation -- and some of the combos will be DE and SE razors. I'm looking forward to getting a closer comparison of the various types and years.

Hmmm, I do not have an Aristocrat, I've got a Milord, and a handful of various Super Speeds (various years and tip colors), plus the usual adjustables (Fatboy, Slim, Black Beauty); and I have to say I was never a giant TTO fan until I got the MMOC. Mechanically, the Gillette TTO's just seemed to fragile (and dare I say cheap feeling)....lazy doors, no quarter turn, gritty, clicky, etc. The shaves were always fine, but the "magic" of loading a blade into the TTO was always diminished by the mechanism for me. Then I got my first GEM, which was a Micromatic. Beautiful lines, built like a tank, and so far (knock wood) everyone I've gotten has had a smooth and "commanding" TTO mechanism. To me, GEM got the TTO mechanism right on the first try, and subsequent Micromatics kept that perfection going.

As for the top angle, I certainly understand and would largely agree with @albsat's comment -- the angle of the GEMs (especially the Micromatics) just feel more intuitive and better on my face. I just recently (as in yesterday) used one of my DE's (it has been probably 6 months or more of only SE usage), and I had a very nice shave -- it was an Ikon X3 Slant with an OSS handle. The angle was much steeper than my Micromatics (obviously), and it was my first time using this particular model/razor so I ended up giving myself a nick and a few weepers, but overall I was surprised at how mild this razor felt, yet still efficient. That said, my muscle memory seems to be more fine tuned for my GEMs (probably from the almost nonstop usage), and I prefer the feel of the thicker GEM/Injector blades and the audio I get with the GEMs.

I'm going to try some multi-razor shaves -- partly because I'm very susceptible to peer pressure (thanks @GAW9576, @Twelvefret, and @Tanuki), but mostly because I really need to get some untried razors into rotation -- and some of the combos will be DE and SE razors. I'm looking forward to getting a closer comparison of the various types and years.

I'm telling a @Flintstone65 ya gotta try a nine razor shave like I did.:001_302:
Don't do it. Seriously it was ridiculous.
:shaving:
Stay stubble free my friend.

So, the daily double was built upon my desire to use my collection, but later realized that some work better than others on some parts. For example, the Schick Type E is unsurpassed around my nose.

A concept I coined on the SR forums was the "knock down" pass defined as a first pass with little to no regard for detail, just a beard reduction pass. This type pass can be down with any razor including a shavette or straight. I

Top Bottom