What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Tabac scent is heavy on carnation, lavender and aldehyde. The base notes linger a little when the damage to your olfactory senses is already done: tonka bean, musk, amber and, they say, tobacco. A very '70s scent.
Just like Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal, Tabac chooses you, not vice versa. Tabac rejected me in so many unmannered ways. The soap itself perform beautifully, great slickness and protection and a puck last forever.
The shaving stick is quite expensive if you are not in England* but it as a richer base with a couple of added ingredients that improve the post-shave feeling.

*Tabac is produced in Germany but somehow the Brits have the best prices, just like it happens with Palmolive and Wilkinson Sword sticks.
Carnation....you're right!!!! I couldn't name it, but that's it....not lilac. And I do feel "chosen" by the Tabac!

Thank you for the info. It sounds like something I may enjoy.

Tabac is very polarising. You'll find endless threads here from grovelling sycophants - I'll just rephrase that - devoted fans. And the rest of us absolutely hate it and wouldn't have it open in the house.

SOTD MMMonday - 4/8 back home and in the groove

Shower for prep
1 Micromatic Clog-pruf + Schick L1 injector (props to @GAW9576 )
2 GEM (6?) flipped + AccuTEC? injector blade
3 Zenith B5
4 BOSC Special Reserve AC menthol

View attachment 970413

Two and a half days of stubble mowed down efficiently by the MMCP, with the Schick in service for the neck whorl touch up. The last time I used an L1 my beard was just coming in and injector packs were cheap and available in every drug store. A fast DFS with just a hint of feedback from the alum. It’s neck-and-neck between my MMOCs and the MMCP.

For me, my various snap cap Gems and Ever-Readys are solid players, but can’t quite match those two Micromatic stars. But it’s like the kids soccer teams I used to coach, everybody plays! It’s time to give the G-Bar and Featherweight some minutes.

Nice daily double. :a14:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Interesting. I have another gem razor that I don't use because it came missing a blade stop (an everready). Maybe next Monday I'll try it anyway. Also bought a 'shovelhead' (?) off the BST today, so I'll explore some different gem holders.
I would not use a razor with out a blade stop while learning, it will not be nice at all. Everready razors are a little more aggressive than Gems as my experience and readings. There are milder Gem razors to maybe try before using a 1924>Everready shovel head. How often do you shave?

Thanks for the help. I shave daily.

I would not use a razor with out a blade stop while learning, it will not be nice at all. Everready razors are a little more aggressive than Gems as my experience and readings. There are milder Gem razors to maybe try before using a 1924>Everready shovel head. How often do you shave?

I get the smoothest shaves from the Gem Jr. with the slim bakelite handle. It was my first Gem and my passe-partout into the world of single-edge razors and maybe my opinion is a little biased but it is always a joy when it comes back in the rotation. It's a very common model and it is very easy to find a nice one for $10 or less, I highly recommend it.

Hi Twelve,

OK, I did it! Today, I purchased a (NOS) GEM Micromatic!

(Please note, these are borrowed photographs of the same item I purchased today).
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

SixCats!
proxy.php

Hi Twelve,

OK, I did it! Today, I purchased a (NOS) GEM Micromatic!

(Please note, these are borrowed photographs of the same item I purchased today).
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

SixCats!
proxy.php
Nice set (the Streamlined sets introduced in 1937). You'll never look back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the compliments. This should be the last Razor I will purchase from this one seller.
I bought four of this Gentleman's Razor display and I believe I picked out THE best four (thanks to all you guys here at B&B) : 1944 (NOS) SHAKE SHARP w/case
GILLETTE D2 TECH BALL END (1958 AS NEW/NOS)
GEM 1912 TRAVEL RAZOR w/ metal case (as new/NOS)
and today : The GEM MICROMATIC w/Green Bakelite case.

Whoa, I now have.....eleven Safety Razors. Yikes, all purchased since March 23rd. of this year.
jmud, thank you for the information you provided. Cool! So about 1937 eh ?
Twelve, I still (duh) haven't yet ordered the PTFE Blades. I plan to do so tomorrow.
I was however gifted two small (five packs) of vintage Razors : "SURGICAL EDGE" by CRESENT, FREMONT, OHIO
and "CLARK BLADES" since 1908 for GEM /EVER-READY type Razors (Newark, N.J. U.S.A.)

I should try the GEM Micromatic soon!

SixCats!

I had a big mail call today. Not only did I complete my Gem push button presentation set (pictures in the stickied new SE acquisitions thread) but my Connaught order of 30 stainless coated blades arrived. I wanted to compare these to the ones I bought from Walgreens to make sure the Walgreens blades are in fact the coated ones.

They must be, because these from Connaught shaved exactly the same. I used one of the new blades in my MMBT tonight and it wasn't any smoother than the Walgreens blades. I generally like the results from my SE razors, but I never get the "I'm as smooth as an egg but didn't even feel the blade" that my best DE blades in my Gillette give me. I wish I would.

Hi Guys,

Thanks GAW. Yea, the case is pretty neat! I look forward to trying the MMOC soon. LOL, I have so many Razors to choose from now. pdieten, Ah, good deal, it's like Christmas when something you ordered arrives in the mail! Thanks for the very excellent/useful information regarding the Walgreen Blades. So Paul, which Gillette do you like the best ?
I now have a bunch to choose from three piece to Fatboy! I must say however, I sure love the "looks" of my GEM's and Ever-Ready's and my simple designed Gillette TECH is calling to me as well.

SixCats!

Flintstone65

Hi Guys,

Thanks GAW. Yea, the case is pretty neat! I look forward to trying the MMOC soon. LOL, I have so many Razors to choose from now. pdieten, Ah, good deal, it's like Christmas when something you ordered arrives in the mail! Thanks for the very excellent/useful information regarding the Walgreen Blades. So Paul, which Gillette do you like the best ?
I now have a bunch to choose from three piece to Fatboy! I must say however, I sure love the "looks" of my GEM's and Ever-Ready's and my simple designed Gillette TECH is calling to me as well.

SixCats!
Ha, welcome to the club my friend. I remember when I had almost a dozen razors, all I could I think of was "that's more razors than I'll need in a lifetime"....many dozens later, I've still got so many that I haven't loaded a blade in yet. I have to say though, you have made some excellent acquisitions, so perhaps you will not get dragged down the rabbit hole (at least for a while). Thanks for joining us here, and I really like your screen name!!! Not sure of its origin, but I have had as many as 6 cats at once....cats are very cool!!!

Keep us posted on how your shaves!!!

Flintstone65

I have a question for the multi-razor shavers (or anyone who wants to just weigh in). It looks like most folks are using multiple razors to cover specialized areas....like if I found one that did a stellar job on my lower neck, I'd use that one to shave that area, and another for the rest of my face. But I'm wondering about those who use each razor to do the whole face. I've done that a few times....first pass was an MMOC, second pass was a lather catcher, third pass was back to the MMOC....something like that. So if you use that approach, I'm wondering if it makes more sense to start with the aggressive razor and finish with the milder one, or vice-versa? Makes think about how some use the adjustables....start mild and then crank it up to more aggressive to end on a closer shave as the hair gets reduced.

This is just a navel-gazing thing -- there's no right answer, just wondering what folks thought.

Hi Guys,

SixCats!

Six cats. If you put an @ in front of someones user name it let's them know you are referring to them in your post like @SixCats! Otherwise they may not see it. It took me a bit to figure this out on my own. Hope this helps.

Ha, welcome to the club my friend. I remember when I had almost a dozen razors, all I could I think of was "that's more razors than I'll need in a lifetime"....many dozens later, I've still got so many that I haven't loaded a blade in yet. I have to say though, you have made some excellent acquisitions, so perhaps you will not get dragged down the rabbit hole (at least for a while). Thanks for joining us here, and I really like your screen name!!! Not sure of its origin, but I have had as many as 6 cats at once....cats are very cool!!!

Keep us posted on how your shaves!!!

You have to start doing 9 razor shaves like me. Or send your unloved razors my way so they don't go unused. Either way they will get some attention. :001_302::a22:

I have a question for the multi-razor shavers (or anyone who wants to just weigh in). It looks like most folks are using multiple razors to cover specialized areas....like if I found one that did a stellar job on my lower neck, I'd use that one to shave that area, and another for the rest of my face. But I'm wondering about those who use each razor to do the whole face. I've done that a few times....first pass was an MMOC, second pass was a lather catcher, third pass was back to the MMOC....something like that. So if you use that approach, I'm wondering if it makes more sense to start with the aggressive razor and finish with the milder one, or vice-versa? Makes think about how some use the adjustables....start mild and then crank it up to more aggressive to end on a closer shave as the hair gets reduced.

This is just a navel-gazing thing -- there's no right answer, just wondering what folks thought.

I would start with the more efficient razor and move milder. A little extra buffing with a mild razor produces less irritation for me than trying to get stubborn spots with a more aggressive razor.
:shaving:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

I guess that is why they made adjustable s to taylor make your shave. I have experimented years ago with my Gillette slim going from going aggressive to mild and this other thread claimed to go from mild to aggressive and that one I experimented with and stuck with mild to aggressive. Not a whole lot of difference IMO but if you are after BBS I concluded you are going to be shaving a little skin to reach those mysterious ghost whiskers that seem to prop back up later :letterk2::lol1:. I 'm very happy if I get a shave in this sweet spot (CCS,DFS,BBS) with out shaving my hide off to get true BBS.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I would work on your technique so that one razor gets the job done. People didn't "need" adjustables until marketing departments convinced people they did, and a whole lot of people who love their adjustables simply find their sweet spot and leave it there. I use multiple razors only to compare performance. If you're talking about the MMOC just stop there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’ll disagree with @jmudrick based of the fact that a Schick Injector is nothing like the design of a MMOC which allows it to be more easy and effective on some facial regions. No amount of technique will allow you to shave under the nose with a GEM as easily as with a Schick type E.

Also, I do daily doubles for fun and not always by necessity.

Top Bottom