What's new

Which Razor Do You Still Need To Figure Out?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Which of your razors, if any, do you still need to dedicate some time to figure out/improve your technique?

I rotate 14ish razors. My GEM Micromatic is one that I really need to focus on. Everything else I can load up and I'll wind up with a good shave. But the Micromatic is just not intuitive for me. I do really like the razor, but sheesh... it requires my full attention and I still need to REALLY work on getting my angle right. If I'm going to nick myself it will be with my GEM.

Which, if any, of the razors in your den do you continue to struggle with?

Just finished a run with the Micromatic Clog Pruf. Wonderful stuff, but I do have to pay attention because the angle is correct when the handle is parallel to my shaving surface. I just tried the Berkley razor and I'm not sure if I'm going to give it another try. It appears to be like the Eclipse where you loosen it to get a more aggressive shave, but there's so much play once it's loosened to a point where I can get any whisker reduction. I switched midshave to a Tech.

I am struggling with my Tatara Muramasa. Really want to love it. It's like a finely engineered mechanical watch, that loses 2 minutes a day. Tried 4 or 5 different blades, different technique, different aggression settings, but so far, I'd rate my shaves between 6 and 8.5 out of 10.

Any blade suggestions?

Henson AL-13 ++ (Medium). It's my first safety razor. I still need to figure out how to use it on my neck to get all the hairs shaved without irritation.
Great razor. What blade are you using? If your technique is dead-on (particularly with regard to your angle), you can get a great shave with a smooth blade. Have you tried Wizamet? I find them to be really smooth, yet sharp enough in most razors. I will say that for me, the Feather, BIC, 7 O'clock Black, and PermaSharp blades work best in the Henson medium, but they are aggressive blades that can irritate if you press too hard, takes lots of passes or do too much buffing.

Great razor. What blade are you using? If your technique is dead-on (particularly with regard to your angle), you can get a great shave with a smooth blade. Have you tried Wizamet? I find them to be really smooth, yet sharp enough in most razors. I will say that for me, the Feather, BIC, 7 O'clock Black, and PermaSharp blades work best in the Henson medium, but they are aggressive blades that can irritate if you press too hard, takes lots of passes or do too much buffing.
I've tried a bunch of blades and admittedly some are better than others. Have had the best luck with Perma-Sharp, Astra SS, Nacet, Voskhod, and Wizamet. I've definitely determined that sharper is better in my case. I've also learned to lay off the pressure. I'll get there. Thanks.

When I'm using bit regularly, I do fairly well with my Fatip Piccolo. However, it's been a few weeks since I picked it up, and I did not have a good experience this week. It wasn't terrible, but I ended up with more nicks & scrapes than necessary.

I had a reliable Bic Crome Platinum in it, so the blade was not the issue (in my case).

When I'm using bit regularly, I do fairly well with my Fatip Piccolo. However, it's been a few weeks since I picked it up, and I did not have a good experience this week. It wasn't terrible, but I ended up with more nicks & scrapes than necessary.

I had a reliable Bic Crome Platinum in it, so the blade was not the issue (in my case).
In my case, I cut myself too frequently with the Fatip Grande using sharper blades like a Gillette Nacet or a Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp. I like Treets and Lords in my Fatip.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have two puzzling razors: the RR SuperSlant and the ATT Windsor. I might be ready to punt with the SuperSlant, but I still have high hopes for the Windsor. Blackland is soon going to re-establish the brand and I'm hoping I'll have more choices for base plates with it. I still might be able to make the SSRH base plate work with a bit of effort. The problem? I bought it because ATT was closing up shop and at the same time, received a few other razors that were intuitive for me from the first use so I sort of back burner-ed the Windsor.

I still have to learn to the skills needed to shave well with an AC barber razor. I bought my two along with me on this 3 week trip and plan to play around with them a few times. I'll go slow.... just first pass shaves with them at this point. I'll finish up with my La Faulx Classic or my Claymore Evo.

The Game Changer 84. I've tried every angle and still can't get close to a DFS. I can hear it cutting, but I still have a ton of stubble when I'm done. I'm also carving some nice designs in my chin with this razor. I have no problem letting the weight of the razor be the guide for wtg passes, but if I try atg I always cut myself and assume it's because I'm unknowingly applying pressure, especially on the chin. More practice for sure, but I'm getting a little GC phobic to be honest.

I've tried a bunch of blades and admittedly some are better than others. Have had the best luck with Perma-Sharp, Astra SS, Nacet, Voskhod, and Wizamet. I've definitely determined that sharper is better in my case. I've also learned to lay off the pressure. I'll get there. Thanks.
Just used a German Wilkinson Sword in my Henson AL-13 ++ Medium and it was fantastic! Probably my best shave yet!

Just finished a run with the Micromatic Clog Pruf. Wonderful stuff, but I do have to pay attention because the angle is correct when the handle is parallel to my shaving surface. I just tried the Berkley razor and I'm not sure if I'm going to give it another try. It appears to be like the Eclipse where you loosen it to get a more aggressive shave, but there's so much play once it's loosened to a point where I can get any whisker reduction. I switched midshave to a Tech.
Not the handle, but head must be parallel to the shaving surface!

Razorock German G37 Slant. It feels mild but half the time either bites or doesn't shave as close as I expect. I need to spend a week with it and try different blades (I remember that Derby Premiums seem to have worked well in it). However, for some reason, it's also the razor I am not awfully inspired with and always seem to want to try something else.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Razorock German G37 Slant. It feels mild but half the time either bites or doesn't shave as close as I expect. I need to spend a week with it and try different blades (I remember that Derby Premiums seem to have worked well in it). However, for some reason, it's also the razor I am not awfully inspired with and always seem to want to try something else.
Is the Razorock German G37 a clone of the Merkur 37c? At a glance that seems to be the case...

I was initially intimidated by slant razors. What I found, using the Merkur 37c is to follow one of the main rules of shaving with a DE razor. Don't apply any pressure. This is really the only razor in my den that I apply zero pressure with and I love the razor. It is VERY efficient. I do not ever use this razor for a ATG pass. When I say zero pressure I mean it literally. And I can't do that when shaving from the bottom of my face towards the top. I always perform my 3rd pass when starting out with my 37c with a much milder razor.

My Gillette Slim Twist (the "Beatles razor").
It seems to require more technique than my Gillette Tech and Mühle R89. Technique I have not yet mastered.

Is the Razorock German G37 a clone of the Merkur 37c? At a glance that seems to be the case...

I was initially intimidated by slant razors. What I found, using the Merkur 37c is to follow one of the main rules of shaving with a DE razor. Don't apply any pressure. This is really the only razor in my den that I apply zero pressure with and I love the razor. It is VERY efficient. I do not ever use this razor for a ATG pass. When I say zero pressure I mean it literally. And I can't do that when shaving from the bottom of my face towards the top. I always perform my 3rd pass when starting out with my 37c with a much milder razor.

I recall reading that it has more blade exposure than Merkur, but I wouldn't know.

I barely apply pressure with any razor. I just need to spend more time with this one.

Great razor. Wish they made a slant in SS.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I have an ATT S1 and for me, it shaves identical to the 37C though in stainless steel... It's a very nice razor. I hope when Blackland re-introduces the ATT brand, it's one of the razors they include. I have the S2 Open Comb base as well and that one is a puzzlement for me so far. I'm sure I'll get back to it and make it work for me. I like OC designs, so though it is said to be a touch more efficient, it should end up being perfect for me. Both the 37C and S1 are a tad too mild for my face and whiskers. But I still get 8 to 10 hour shaves with both of them. They are fun to use... effortless.

I have only 1 razor. The Pearl L-55 (OC+CC). I'm getting okay shaves with it but I want to try something new sometime in the near future. Not really convinced if L-55 is particular good for beginners although the OC is fairly mild, the CC is a bit intimidating. Large blade gap + exposure. I'm also not sure if the alignment is spot on.

Top Bottom