What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, Nov 09th 2020

Razor: Gem Junior bar-Mfg 1907-11 Excellent razor, lower mid range, they got things right over 110 years ago with beauty.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) Excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity and smooths out nicely.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- excellent lather with nice scent IMO.
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26 + mm Tuxedo knot- excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 with pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results:CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem junior bar and Gem coated blade.
Gemonday Nov 9th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
My first Micromatic Monday entry (I think). Clog-Pruf + GEM SS PTFE (day 12) + MWF.

Best shave ever with a Micromatic..... but that's not saying much. I get much better shaves with 1912's, Featherweights (particularly the earlier version), and DE's. I also own a Micromatic OC. For some reasons, the Micromatics don't agree with me as much. Better results today might be due to an extra ATG pass added (WTG-XTG-ATG-ATG), not something I normally do.

My first Micromatic Monday entry (I think). Clog-Pruf + GEM SS PTFE (day 12) + MWF.

Best shave ever with a Micromatic..... but that's not saying much. I get much better shaves with 1912's, Featherweights (particularly the earlier version), and DE's. I also own a Micromatic OC. For some reasons, the Micromatics don't agree with me as much. Better results today might be due to an extra ATG pass added (WTG-XTG-ATG-ATG), not something I normally do.

Glad you are here! There was a longer learning curve for me with Micromatics than with the 1912 head.

Blade: Feather Seikan FAS-10 Carbon (5)

Wow! Thanks for posting this one. The FAS-10 Carbon might convince me to finally buy a later model AutoStrop.

And @RumpleBearskin may eventually convince me to attempt honing a wedge blade from my Rolls.

I need conviction (and a little more time in my life).

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
It was a great GEMonday for me. The Gem Junior (pre-swing Bar) did an outstanding job with a GEM SS PTFE blade on it's 3rd use. MWF can occasionally be a little uncooperative in the lather department, but Jayaruh's boar brush practically gave me a Santa Clause beard's worth of lather.....it was awesome! I love the celluloid handle, but if it ever slips out of my hand and hits the tile, I know exactly where it's going to break in two.

I had a solid DFS after 2 passes, but I did a 3rd pass -- mostly because I was just enjoying myself too much to put the razor down -- and I ended up with a full-face near-BBS shave. No blood, no irritation and no post-shave sensitivity....just comfort, smoothness and a great way to start the day!!!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Flintstone65

GEMonday, Nov 09th 2020

Razor: Gem Junior bar-Mfg 1907-11 Excellent razor, lower mid range, they got things right over 110 years ago with beauty.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) Excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity and smooths out nicely.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- excellent lather with nice scent IMO.
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26 + mm Tuxedo knot- excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 with pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results:CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem junior bar and Gem coated blade.
View attachment 1180015
I'm a big fan of Yaqi's Tuxedo knots, and that dice-handle is too cool for words. Dungeons and Dragons always seemed too complicated to me to learn to play, but the 20-sided dice were always so cool looking!!!

And @RumpleBearskin may eventually convince me to attempt honing a wedge blade from my Rolls.

It's definitely worth the effort. Honing a straight is satisfying, but honing a wedge to a shave-ready edge is a whole other feeling of accomplishment. And then using it really takes you back to a period shave, feeling what it felt like back in the day.

BBS may not have been the norm, but I expect that a good quality DFS was. The old wedge razors; GEM, Rapide, Rolls, definitely deliver that once you get them into a shave-ready state.

Ron R

I'm a big fan of Yaqi's Tuxedo knots, and that dice-handle is too cool for words. Dungeons and Dragons always seemed too complicated to me to learn to play, but the 20-sided dice were always so cool looking!!!
Hello Fred, I like the Tuxedo knots and thought the 26 mm lucky dice would be a nice addition. It has more back bone than my 24mm tuxedo knots but there is always trade offs. It's more of a lather hog and splay is a little harder if you like to scrub but it will splay & is a great brush IMO.

20200503_090058.jpg

Razor: Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

November 9th - MMM
Gem MMOC / Personna GEM
Dovee +Men Pre-Shave - Extra prep for that 3 day growth
RR What the Puck Lime / 30mm Synthetic
Mentholated Witch Hazel
Polo Club Balm (Old set, Green)

Nothing seems to beat the MMOC on multiple days growth, it just mows through, and super comfortable doing it.

SM (ShovelheadMonday, rinse out your mind), getting spicy this morning (ditto)

1924 E-R Shovelhead / GEM PTFE (2)
Old Spice puck in its original (Belgian) mug
Solid Set re-knotted boar
Alum, Richard's Rub, Old Spice Classic AS

62BA1E3E-A320-416B-B015-4B48989FDB98.jpeg

Shave and a haircut this morning. I didn't even have to pony up two bits. Accounting hasn't weighed in on capital costs and consumables, though.

Yeah, another covid self-cut. I have to be very careful about exposure as I am a major player in the elder care rotation. We are running out of individuals older than myself in this family. Travel today, on duty tomorrow.

But the shave... In spite of vintage Old Spice not being my best performing soap, I shoveled off the stubble down to smooth skin. The 1924 deserves more love! Or maybe I have cornered the market, so few others can get a chance?

Have a great Monday! And don't let Zits' (comic) recent slam on Old Spice bum you out.

Had a decent shave this morning. The blade was fading, this Gem 1912 usually shaves especially well. I binned the blade after only 6 shaves.
I particularly like the adjustable handle by @twhite. It will be missed when it gets sent on its way. The Wickham 1912 Irish Fern has become one of my favorite soaps. It will be missed when it runs out, as I believe they quit making it.

20201109_074519~2.jpg

It was a great GEMonday for me. The Gem Junior (pre-swing Bar) did an outstanding job with a GEM SS PTFE blade on it's 3rd use. MWF can occasionally be a little uncooperative in the lather department, but Jayaruh's boar brush practically gave me a Santa Clause beard's worth of lather.....it was awesome! I love the celluloid handle, but if it ever slips out of my hand and hits the tile, I know exactly where it's going to break in two.

I had a solid DFS after 2 passes, but I did a 3rd pass -- mostly because I was just enjoying myself too much to put the razor down -- and I ended up with a full-face near-BBS shave. No blood, no irritation and no post-shave sensitivity....just comfort, smoothness and a great way to start the day!!!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Beautiful razor. I don't believe I've ever seen a side view of one of those. Could you post one. I'm trying to figure out what I'm seeing in the inside middle section.

Razor: GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip Flying Wing with Guiding Eye
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (10 and out)
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger
Soap: Stirling Coniferous

A late (Tuesday morning) Micromatic Monday shave on 2.5 days of growth. DFS+ shave with no cuts, nicks, or irritation, but tugging and lack of BBS is telling me that it's time to replace the blade.

Ron R

SE SOTD, Tue, Nov 10 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic clog Pruf(Peerless model)- Mfg 1945, excellent mid range, one of my favorite Gem razors of many.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) excellent blade, very sharp, excellent longevity, predictable and smooths out nicely IMO.
Soap; Razorock Lavender- nice masculine scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf whiskers 24 mm- excellent brush, good back bone with cloud like soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my MMCP with a Gem coated blade.

SE SOTD, Tue, Nov19 2020.jpg

Flintstone65

Beautiful razor. I don't believe I've ever seen a side view of one of those. Could you post one. I'm trying to figure out what I'm seeing in the inside middle section.
The middle section is just super shiny, but just a curved piece of metal -- nothing in there. I've found the longevity of GEM's plating to be VERY impressive....especially when compared to some other (younger) razors; but the shininess does weird things in the photos -- as evidenced by the first picture below, it appears to have a strange patina, but it doesn't in real life.

Here are a few more shots:
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Ron R

The middle section is just super shiny, but just a curved piece of metal -- nothing in there. I've found the longevity of GEM's plating to be VERY impressive....especially when compared to some other (younger) razors; but the shininess does weird things in the photos -- as evidenced by the first picture below, it appears to have a strange patina, but it doesn't in real life.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
Very nice razor Fred, thanks for sharing.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Beautiful razor.
I think I was seeing the bottom edge of the spring and the reflection.

Top Bottom