What's new

Micromatic Monday

My GEM friends:

I would like to ask for some advice. I have found several good condition GEM Open Comb Damaskeen razors in the $130 to $180 range. I'll admit that I'm quite tempted.

But, I don't collect razors I won't use, and I'm nervous that the OC Damaskeen won't live up to my expectations. I've heard that it's actually considered to be slightly less aggressive than the Closed Comb Damaskeen. I have the CC, and enjoy it, but I personally find it on the milder side of things. I would not enjoy spending that sum on the OC only to have it be even more mild than my CC.

So ...

Can anyone confirm that the OC is actually more mild than the CC?

And is $130 - $180 a reasonable price point for very good condition examples. They are not NOS, but they do appear to be in great condition. All are cased and some have original Damaskeen blades.

Thanks for any/all comments and/or advice.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My GEM friends:

I would like to ask for some advice. I have found several good condition GEM Open Comb Damaskeen razors in the $130 to $180 range. I'll admit that I'm quite tempted.

But, I don't collect razors I won't use, and I'm nervous that the OC Damaskeen won't live up to my expectations. I've heard that it's actually considered to be slightly less aggressive than the Closed Comb Damaskeen. I have the CC, and enjoy it, but I personally find it on the milder side of things. I would not enjoy spending that sum on the OC only to have it be even more mild than my CC.

So ...

Can anyone confirm that the OC is actually more mild than the CC?

And is $130 - $180 a reasonable price point for very good condition examples. They are not NOS, but they do appear to be in great condition. All are cased and some have original Damaskeen blades.

Thanks for any/all comments and/or advice.
The Damaskeene Open comb was really the first Gem refined with a top cap, There is one earlier model the Gem deluxe 1911-16 that look very similar but with a different case and hard to to tell the differences and the deluxe came out one yr earlier (more rare than the 1912 OC model).
All other Damaskeene razors after the the 1912 open comb were all improvements to the the original 1912 O.C IMO. The Closed comb Damaskeene incorporated 2 drainage ports in the base plate and have the closed comb which was stronger and they changed the base plate slightly. The Damaskeene closed comb should be a better model but it isn't the bedrock that made Gem a success. The deluxe 1911-16 & Damaskeene open comb 1912-15 is what made other versions possible IMO and are rare to find in good shape and with a box. I lucked out when I bought mine with a Razor lot on _bay but it had a ding on the lip of the cap but it does not effect the razor's performance at all and it worked out around $50 Canadian and I also got a NOS Schick E2 with that deal (just plain luck on my purchase).
The Gem Jr bar I tested and rated in the Chart was very well used and the blade stops were grooved deeply by so many blades over the century making it a little more aggressive and efficient & has been replaced by a better shape Gem jr bar that makes it milder IMO. Chart below is just a quick reference and should give a person a reasonable idea on what the razors Charteristic's felt on use over a minimum of 1 week of consecutive daily shaves.
I will leave a picture chart on how I felt different models seemed to work for me and rated them IMO.
GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg

Gem Damaskkene 1912-15  Haul 2 (2).jpg
GEM Damaskeene OC 1912-15(2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
My GEM friends:

I'm nervous that the OC Damaskeen won't live up to my expectations.
That's what happened to me. I wanted to like it since it seems kinda rare and looks soooo cool,... but the more common closed type 1912s seem to shave way better for me. I got mine for only like 20 bucks last year on ebay, ...with original case but missing blade bank.

I'm still very happy to have it as part of my- made in Brooklyn collection...just wasn't the heavens opening experience that the closed 1912s gave me.

Last edited:
Thanks @Ron R and @JayFromBrooklyn! I appreciate it greatly. It would seem that far better deals can be had then those I've found. And it also seems that since I vastly prefer the MMOC end of things to the Featherweight end of things, the OC Damaskeen is not likely to be my favorite shaver. Thanks again for the great information.

I think I'll keep looking and, if I happen to find a real bargain, pick it up for coolness, history, and my own comparison.

Thanks @Ron R and @JayFromBrooklyn! I appreciate it greatly. It would seem that far better deals can be had then those I've found. And it also seems that since I vastly prefer the MMOC end of things to the Featherweight end of things, the OC Damaskeen is not likely to be my favorite shaver. Thanks again for the great information.

I think I'll keep looking and, if I happen to find a real bargain, pick it up for coolness, history, and my own comparison.

Having tried myself a fair bunch of Gem/Ever Ready/Star SE razors, The MMOC is my undisputed champion. I'm glad I've just received some new Gem blades on Friday so I'm ready again for the Micromatic Monday tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems

I think that's a great plan. I paid $30 for mine (with case) in a razor lot on the 'Bay. I can't really add much to what has been said about the OC Dammy. I enjoy it slightly more than the closed comb Damaskeene, and slightly more than my other 1912's. The keywords for me are slightly. I used to find stark differences between razors and blades, but after using so many different razors, they all seem to run together for me. I enjoy shaving with the OC, but I also enjoy shaving with the MMOC, the Featherweight, and GEM Jr Bar. Last night I shaved with a 1972 Gillette Tech, and got a perfectly fine shave. I guess my experiences have jaded me, and while I can feel, see and articulate some differences between various razors, it's become harder for me (personally) to justify paying a premium for any razor.....modern or vintage.....wish I'd come to that conclusion before paying so many premiums. :laugh:

Ron R

Having tried myself a fair bunch of Gem/Ever Ready/Star SE razors, The MMOC is my undisputed champion. I'm glad I've just received some new Gem blades on Friday so I'm ready again for the Micromatic Monday tomorrow. :thumbsup:
Good to see you over here on Micromatic Monday thread, Folks are really enjoying that quick and accurate timeline you compiled & the Schick quick timeline also! Good to hear from you about ASR razors & we all learned a lot. Gem Razor Models - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gem-razor-models.554376/
It's would of been nice if you had it earlier because some of my dates on the above chart are close but not 100%, Cheers.

Flintstone65

And Micromatic Monday Approaches!!! Will it be a Micromatic Monday or a GEMonday (i.e., any GEM, Ever-Ready, Star, or Treet SE razor that takes a GEM-style blade)??? The jury is still out for me. I'm leaning towards the GEM Contour.

How about you all? Do you know which GEM (or GEM relative) you'll be using? If so, please share....if not, then we'll look forward to the surprise!

Ron R

And Micromatic Monday Approaches!!! Will it be a Micromatic Monday or a GEMonday (i.e., any GEM, Ever-Ready, Star, or Treet SE razor that takes a GEM-style blade)??? The jury is still out for me. I'm leaning towards the GEM Contour.

How about you all? Do you know which GEM (or GEM relative) you'll be using? If so, please share....if not, then we'll look forward to the surprise!
I should be around with my Everready 1914 LLC, Very enjoyable audio feed back shave!

Ron R

MMMonday, Nov 16th, 2020- Took out my ASR family member the Everready 1914 (AKA LLC)Little lather catcher for some folks who might not of heard that expression of this razor.

Razor: Everready 1914 or LLC+ 1st generation blade stops-Mfg 1914 -17>, excellent mid range, Excellent razor with great audio feed back.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) excellent blade in a lot of ways.
Soap: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore"Firenze" :001_wub: Excellent lather qualities with subtle mild vanilla tobacco scent that is addicting.
Brush: Yaqu Rainbow brow whiskers 26mm- excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips, great brush for big hands.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: witch hazel + Nivea refreshing after shave + a dollop of Avon "True Gent" balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:Excellent shave with my ER1914 with a new coated Gem blade.
MMMonday, Nov 16th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Flintstone65

I did indeed press the GEM Contour into service today. Now I am a self-avowed vintage snob -- the older, the better -- and while 1965 to 1974 is technically vintage (I guess), I still think of it more as pre-modern (i.e., not old....I mean c'mon, I am in that range!!!). Regardless, the Contour has always given me an excellent shave.....high on comfort and enough efficiency to give me a 2-pass DFS+ (if I'm only sporting 24 hours or so worth of growth -- more growth requires an extra pass). It's definitely not the best looking GEM (IMO), but honestly, I'd be hard pressed to let go of this one.

As for the rest of the shave, I've been using the same soap and brush for the last few shaves.....I'm finding that soaps that I initially dismissed as "not my favorites", seem to rise to the top of the list if I just stick with them for multiple shaves. This one is the Haslinger's Honig. As mentioned, not my favorite Haslinger (I really like their "original"), but it has been growing on me with every shave, and now I'm thinking I may actually replace the puck when it's done....go figure! The brush was a Jayaruh wooden handle with an Omega boar knot. Oh and the blade was a GEM SS PTFE on it's 4th shave....so smooth!

Here are a couple of a shots of the Contour....like I said, not the best looking GEM ever made, but I like the way it shaves:
proxy.php
proxy.php

Razor: Gem Junior The Parade Baton Handle
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200524_084056.jpg

Ron R

Razor: Gem Junior The Parade Baton Handle
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
View attachment 1183025
Two very nice looking handles on your shaving Gear today, I like the green jade looking brush handle! I'm surprized that no one has come out with a 3D Gem tapered handle with different configurations of color and ergonomics.

Ron R

I did indeed press the GEM Contour into service today. Now I am a self-avowed vintage snob -- the older, the better -- and while 1965 to 1974 is technically vintage (I guess), I still think of it more as pre-modern (i.e., not old....I mean c'mon, I am in that range!!!). Regardless, the Contour has always given me an excellent shave.....high on comfort and enough efficiency to give me a 2-pass DFS+ (if I'm only sporting 24 hours or so worth of growth -- more growth requires an extra pass). It's definitely not the best looking GEM (IMO), but honestly, I'd be hard pressed to let go of this one.

As for the rest of the shave, I've been using the same soap and brush for the last few shaves.....I'm finding that soaps that I initially dismissed as "not my favorites", seem to rise to the top of the list if I just stick with them for multiple shaves. This one is the Haslinger's Honig. As mentioned, not my favorite Haslinger (I really like their "original"), but it has been growing on me with every shave, and now I'm thinking I may actually replace the puck when it's done....go figure! The brush was a Jayaruh wooden handle with an Omega boar knot. Oh and the blade was a GEM SS PTFE on it's 4th shave....so smooth!

Here are a couple of a shots of the Contour....like I said, not the best looking GEM ever made, but I like the way it shaves:
proxy.php
proxy.php
Nice looking razor Fred until you look underneath the baseplate. How is it to clean? I really like the looks of the Contour push button modern version my self, they were the last of Gems until cartridge razors came in and wiped out decades of great razors.
Have some great shaves!

(Almost) all 'new' gear!

I traveled yesterday, with a short break in Aurora, Oregon, home of the utopian Aurora Colony back in the days when Oregon attracted idealists who had never heard of a geek or antifa. And now home to a passel of antique stores.

Great shave bargains yesterday. I finally (after over a year) picked up a beater green baton handle Treet at a price that made sense, 1/3 of the price that put me off all that time. Plus a colorful Klenzo brush and a Resinol shaving stick tube.

I've got about a double sawbuck invested in this Micromatic Monday, exclusive of a fresh new GEM PTFE and the La Toja stick that fits perfectly in my 'new' tube.

4ABB1F08-9A9E-43C4-ADC8-75B7603D4BAA.jpeg

A6262AF1-B9C6-4DE8-A787-B0D6A2CE5A21.jpeg

The Treet head does not have the drain slots in the comb, nor does it display the 1912 patent date. It also clamps a little bit askew from the blade edge, but the clamping is perfectly tight.

Generally, the fit and finish is a bit lower than my Gem and Ever-Ready 1912s. It doesn't appear bent or abused, so I suspect it was targeted at a lower price point.

I 'corked' the new blade on a bar of soap and gave it 20 forearm laps. The shave was typical 1912: smooth, close, and quick, generally excellent, with audio feedback at the top of the ASR scale.

Last edited:
Top Bottom