What's new

Micromatic Monday

I will be shaving very late if I manage to make it a Micromatic Monday. At almost 7pm I'm still waiting for my relief to show, then 2+ hours of driving back to the den!

Fantasizing a flying wing stubble-ectomy just before bedtime. Then up early to prep for 8am furnace transplant and A/C implant. "Busy, busy, busy." - K. Vonnegut

MM - made it before midnight!

MMBT/FW
GEM PTFE (1) corked and forearm stropped
2 sticks: Col Conk Lime + RazoRock Gold Label
Semogue 1470
Badger Blend: FloriLIced
5C3B2883-0D19-4101-A795-7581AA1B73DD.jpeg

A horse's butt has nothing on a whiskey cork and my forearm. A single light draw across the cork, then 10 laps on the hair side and 10 on the smooth side. Perfect PTFE stropping for a fast and perfectly smooth 2 pass/touchup shave. No sting, fit for a king.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Tue Nov3rd, 2020

Razor: Gem Flying wing, Guiding eye, MMBT...-Excellent daily driver, milder mid range and the heaviest of all the Micromatics.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) excellent blade, very sharp & smoothes out nicely, good longevity & predictable.
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch- excellent soap with mild refreshing scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf whiskers 24mm knot- excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red sandal wood with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my MMBT with a Gem coated blade.

SE SOTD, Tue Nov 3 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
A horse's butt has nothing on a whiskey cork and my forearm. A single light draw across the cork, then 10 laps on the hair side and 10 on the smooth side. Perfect PTFE stropping for a fast and perfectly smooth 2 pass/touchup shave. No sting, fit for a king.
Oh how I wished I'd stropped my brand new GEM PTFE blade. I think I can find 1...maybe 2....okay, let's just say there a A LOT of assorted wine and liquor corks laying around here, and while my arms (like my face) are more like Jimmy Stewart's than John Wayne's, I think I can manage to use one for a strop. Glad you made it on time and had some nice results!

Flintstone65

I just got this Gen2 Featherweight with a black handle.
View attachment 1178109

It appears to me that the ivory handle is more commonly encountered. Does anyone know if the Deluxe model came in black? That would be very nice!
Congrats, I love the dark handled Feather Weights. Mine have all been white or white'ish (yellowed, I suspect by environmental exposures). I've never seen a dark handle with the gold bottom cap, but I agree, that would be nice!

I usually get that feeling, I always think it's just dehydration in the morning and about a hr later its very smooth. I like a little balm to retain moisture on the outer skin surface and after a coffee or tea it's a very smooth shave. I get the same feeling even using a DE razor shave, I really like a Gem shave or most SE shaves in the winter months. I find when it gets extreme cold outside a SE gets a little closer shave on the tough whisker areas of my face better than a DE. The edge is a little stronger on SE than a DE because of the angle of shaving might be the reason.
View attachment 1177406
Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!
Thank you for the insight.

Flintstone65

Looks like several folks are locked-and-loaded for our upcoming Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday). I too have made my choice, it will be a Gem Junior Lather Catcher (pre-bar version) with a celluloid handle. I'm hoping to shave early tomorrow, but this week will undoubtedly fly by (they all seem to these days).

For those who haven't committed yet, please consider joining us.

Mon 9th SOTD Revived & Reused
Soap Ariana & Evans Kaizen
Brush Yaqi 24mm Ruby Tuxedo
Razor GEM Push Button
Blade GEM Stainless 7th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Able to revive and reuse leftover lather from yesterday and infact there's still some left after today's shave.
Shave with razor and blade was just ok. Smooth on flat surface but kinda tuggy around lips area. I actually strop the blade on paste & leather...seems a bit smoother compare to last use. Time to ditch. 3passes for a sas/dfs result. Main thing is no weepers nor irritation. Good post & aftershave. Rating 9/10
20201109_100039.jpg

Beautiful case...looking forward to seeing the razor, and hearing about your shave!

PXL_20201109_135546850-01.jpeg

GEM New Safety Razor / wedge blade
Arko stick (pucked and face lathered)
Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 200
Old Spice Classic

Nice shave today. I use the Diamond Pasted Balsa srtopping method for my straights but not my safety wedge blades. Combined with the quirky "stropping handle", the edge tends to degrade more rapidly then my straights and it's time for this one to go back for a refresh. But still a nice DFS overall.

And FYI, I did find "GEM Safety Razor" stamped/engraved on the body of the razor.
PXL_20201109_135614873-01.jpegPXL_20201109_135647945-01.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Looks like several folks are locked-and-loaded for our upcoming Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday). I too have made my choice, it will be a Gem Junior Lather Catcher (pre-bar version) with a celluloid handle. I'm hoping to shave early tomorrow, but this week will undoubtedly fly by (they all seem to these days).

For those who haven't committed yet, please consider joining us.

No MMM for me this week but I will be joining in spirit: Blackland Sabre L2. :)

I will be suiting up next Monday with (most probably) my MMOC (with bumps). :)

Razor: GEM Featherweight
Blade: Feather Seikan FAS-10 Carbon (5)
Brush: Semogue 1305
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Panta Rei: Zammu (made by Tcheon Fung Sing)
Aftershave: Collin’s - Jolly Tar

A39B50A7-5B9B-4CBA-91A5-C4FFA6535BD5.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.5/10
Seikan grows a spine and enters Featherweight class
This shave kinda surprised me. I really didn’t know what would happen, but I was prepared for the worst.
I took the Feather Carbon Seikan I’ve been experimenting with in my Autostrops and attached a spine I had previously removed from a GEM SE blade and dropped it into a GEM Featherweight.
7FF13644-7EB4-4675-968A-CC06F6585E3C.jpeg

I was prepared for pulling and tugging...or even the possibility of stitches, but I got myself a silky smooth shave. The Seikan glided along with comfortable ease. I did do quite a bit of scrubbing on my neck trying for a BBS until I realized that this modified setup likes a really shallow angle. I never did get my neck BBS, but close enough.
I don’t use my alum block much anymore, but brought it out to see what kind of chafing I caused with all the overworking on my neck. Surpris, surprise! The alum produced zero reaction. I guess we can’t ignore the soap as a partner in this nice shave. Wonderful fresh liquorice scent. My favorite.
The Collins aftershave is liquorice and spearmint which I love, but it seems to leave my face with a damp tacky feeling. I wonder if that’s the olive oil they use in it. I’m not too fussy about the face feel.

Happy Shaves to All

Top Bottom