What's new

Micromatic Monday

I used to find stark differences between razors and blades, but after using so many different razors, they all seem to run together for me.

As we used to say (somewhat in jest), "I feel you, brother!"

The great thing about the shave hobby, other than the price advantage over skiing, sailing, and taking beautiful women to 5 star restaurants: even after you've put in your 10,000 hours, if you are not zen and in the moment, your bad shave will slap you in the face and tell you off.

Kind of like falling, capsizing... or being slapped in the face.

Last edited:
web1_060720-boat-aground-Kailua-Bay-7.jpg

if you are not zen and in the moment, your bad shave will slap you in the face and tell you off.

Kind of like falling, capsizing... or being slapped in the face.
Lately for me, the importance of the quest for a perfect zen shave has caused me to shave less....like only once a week or even 2 weeks sometimes. There are so many factors I try to get just right, the house has to be a certain level of clean and quiet which is extremely difficult with a toddler and a wife now working from home.

I prefer the daytime/ sunlight and the weather to match my soap and aftershave combo, but sometimes night is necessary for peace and quiet....it turns into a whole thing trying to get it all right.
..I'd rather just look scruffy for an extra few days than have to rush a substandard shave.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
It’s still Monday, innit? On some planet somewhere? My Micromatic Open Comb thought so and I found that the loud angle is the angle that lets me best pair my twin interests of a close shave and a gentle shave. Same blade as Monday the night before.
Yes, we follow an intergalactic rule that it's Monday somewhere in the universe, so everyday is "technically" Monday. Sounds like a great shave!

Deferred Monday again ;)

MMFW, Personna SS/PTFE (1), GFT, RR Keyhole (re-knotted with Maggard 22mm 2-band), home made citrus-ish AS.

Two pass no touch-up shave that yielded DFS- closeness and zero sting from the AS. It was a nice break from the DE comparo that I've been doing lately, slower than a DE shave, but not much and as always the reduced need for spot touch-up is a great feature of SE.

The Shovelhead was scheduled for a repeat, but...
... a 1914 Little Lather Catcher 'Ever-Ready' Standard Outfit followed me home today. Complete with a Little Leaflet! So I'm going to join millions of self shavers in using "The Little Barber in a Box".
F08E5825-D0CB-4E8B-8B13-25B48D08C109.jpeg

Where's the razor? Bathing in Dawn, of course, until a November morn.

Apparently I lack respect for the tradition of Micromatic *Monday*... Sundays shave was a two pass with the MMFW again (Personna SS/PTFE [2]) and B&M Cheshire (older white tub formula). At 2am the shave is still closer than What I would have gotten with cartridges or a Derby DE ;)

I guess I could claim at least a little credit for *posting* about the shave on Monday, right?!?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, Nov23, 2020

Razor: Everready British 1912- Mfg 1936-65, excellent mid range and it delivered a beautiful shave this morning.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity & smooths out nicely when used + predictable.
Soap: Razorock Lavender:001_wub:- excellent lather qualities with a masculine scent.(might be discontinued?)
Brush: Yaqi timber wolf whiskers 24 mm synthetic- excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my Everready British 1912 with a coated Gem blade.
MMMonday, Nov 23rd 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Top Bottom