What's new

Micromatic Monday

I get just one use out of carbon steel blades unless I smear them with oil and place in a closed container. I am up to date on my tetanus shots, but I have no desire to put them to the test.

I have been fortunate in that I can get at least a few uses from the blade before rust sets in if I take it out and dry it and leave it in the open air. I’m sure our climate plays a good part in this.

This mornings shave with the "new" MM Bullet Tip: Excellent and smooth, the shave feels almost identical to my thick base (earlier?) Featherweight, but with the heft of a Micromatic.

Brush is a RR Keyhole, re-knotted with Maggard 22mm Finest and the AS is my own mix of alcohol/WH, with argan, bergamot, neroli and petitgrain oils added.

PA300020sm.JPG

...it happened ;)

Razor: GEM G-Bar
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE
Brush: Spiffo D'rargo (Manchurian Two-Band SHD Fan)
Pre-Shave: Face Wash and Scrub
Lather: Saponificio Bignoli - Aghi Di Pino (pine needles)
Aftershave: Collin’s - Spiked Canon
Additional Care:
Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
View attachment 1174889

Nice! Do you use the river-water as a mirror when shaving out there?

Seriously though. That’s a beautiful picture.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
OCtober is done -- long live OCtober!!! But Micromatic Monday approaches (an hour earlier than the last one....at least in my neck of the woods), and I'm going to go with a 1912 UK Peerless (at least I think that's what it's called). The brush will be a new-to-me Stirling Badger (courtesy of the Saint Sue Auction) and I haven't decided on the soap yet. The brush came with a couple, so I may choose one of those, or I may go with a current favorite....decisions, decisions. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Flintstone65

I get just one use out of carbon steel blades unless I smear them with oil and place in a closed container. I am up to date on my tetanus shots, but I have no desire to put them to the test.
Funny you should mention tetanus....I manage to cut my arm on a rusty metal roof today, and actually told the LOTH that 6 months before my tetanus shot expires, I'm going to go and get another to make sure there's no gap. I am CONSTANTLY damaging myself on pieces of metal -- I am just that clumsy. Luckily the shots are good for ten years and I'm only 6 years from my last vaccination.

Mon 2nd SE SOTD
Cream Saponificio Bignoli BlackBerry & Moss
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Mink
Razor GEM Push Button
Blade GEM Stainless 6th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
Really nice lather from the cream. Creamy, slick and pleasant scent.
Shave with razor paired with blade was not that good today especially atg. It was skipping. Barely able to remove much stubbles after 3passes so did not push it. Satisfied with an issue free SAS. Time to replace the blade I suppose. Excellent post and aftershaves. Rating 8.5/10
20201102_125224.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday,Nov2nd, 2020

Razor:Gem Featherweight 1st generation-Mfg 1950-52,2nd gen 1952-54, excellent razor and easy to shave with, milder mid range.
Blade: Gem Personna (5) excellent blade, very sharp and smooths out nicely, good longevity and predictable.
Soap: Hasslinger Schafmilch- Excellent soap, mild fresh scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi rainbow brown whiskers synthetic 26 mm, excellent brush for creating lather, great handle and soft cloud like tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver :001_wub: with Witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results:CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:Excellent shave with my Gem Featherweight 1st gen with a Gem blade.
MMMonday,Nov2nd,2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

An actual Monday shave!

New to me MMCP, with a GEM SS/PTFE blade (was removed after this shave at 5 shaves)
B&M Lyssa
Hand turned bocote "Eaglet" brush with 20mm Maggard Finest knot

The MMCP feels like a perfect cross between the MMOC and MMBT/FW, which is to say, it's milder than the MMOC, but still has the hard transition from blade to cap angle. This example is pretty clean, with just a trace of brassing on the front of the safety bar. So far I like the bullet tip best of the three.

I hope B&M runs Lyssa next year for Halloween, while I like Hallows just fine I prefer Lyssa and would buy it year round if it was available!

PB020021sm.JPG

Razor: Gem Junior Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
I love the way this razor sings!
PSX_20201101_074627.jpg

Flintstone65

An actual Monday shave!

I hope B&M runs Lyssa next year for Halloween, while I like Hallows just fine I prefer Lyssa and would buy it year round if it was available!
I haven't tried Lyssa, but feel the same way about Hallows! This year's Hallows was my first B&M soap....I like the Soft Heart base, and I'm a fan of the scent and performance. Good to see you here on an "actual Monday"!!!

Flintstone65

Looks like everybody is enjoying their shaves....mine was....ummm...not the best. I tried a new soap, a new brush and was using a thoroughly new and completely unstropped/uncorked blade. The GEM from down under didn't pull any punches, and the soap was a bit of a let down (maybe I did something wrong), but at least the bushy little badger was nice and soft (the way I like 'em). The net net was a close shave with a fair number of weepers (I didn't even bother to count....let's just say more than 6). But post-shower and lots of witch hazel later, the blood flow had ceased.

Not my best shave, but any GEM shave is a good shave in my book...and I'm certainly nice and smooth!!!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Razor: GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip Flying Wing with Guiding Eye
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (9)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic
Soap: Williams Mug Soap

A no-electricity Micromatic Monday shave on two days of growth. Had to shave by feel, given the so-so lighting from a window in the bathroom. Still, I enjoyed a near-BBS shave with no cuts, nicks, or irritation, with only slight ATG stubble on the neck.

Question to the GEM users out there: have you ever finished a shave that felt as if there was some stubble remaining, but after an hour or so, felt like BBS? I have experienced this often with straight razor shaves and GEM shaves, but never with DE shaves. Just curious.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Razor: GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip Flying Wing with Guiding Eye
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (9)
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic
Soap: Williams Mug Soap

A no-electricity Micromatic Monday shave on two days of growth. Had to shave by feel, given the so-so lighting from a window in the bathroom. Still, I enjoyed a near-BBS shave with no cuts, nicks, or irritation, with only slight ATG stubble on the neck.

Question to the GEM users out there: have you ever finished a shave that felt as if there was some stubble remaining, but after an hour or so, felt like BBS? I have experienced this often with straight razor shaves and GEM shaves, but never with DE shaves. Just curious.
I usually get that feeling, I always think it's just dehydration in the morning and about a hr later its very smooth. I like a little balm to retain moisture on the outer skin surface and after a coffee or tea it's a very smooth shave. I get the same feeling even using a DE razor shave, I really like a Gem shave or most SE shaves in the winter months. I find when it gets extreme cold outside a SE gets a little closer shave on the tough whisker areas of my face better than a DE. The edge is a little stronger on SE than a DE because of the angle of shaving might be the reason.
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Top Bottom