What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Today's shave was my second for my Micromatic Clog-Pruf. After 3 smooth passes, it was an irritation-free BBS. I can't decide if the MMCP is smoother than my MMOC, or if my technique is really just locking-in. I'm also not sure yet, but I think the MMOC is slightly more efficient than the MMCP. One of these days -- in the somewhat distant future -- I'll probably do a shave-off so I can do a real-time comparison. For now, the verdict for and from me is that these Micromatics ROCK!!! :punk:

The rest of the shave gear today was a Gem PTFE blade with 8 previous shaves on it, the RazoRock Plissoft 24mm and Haslinger Schafmilch. Not in the photo was the post-shave Thayers (Rose).
Sotd11192018v2.jpg

Today's shave was my second for my Micromatic Clog-Pruf. After 3 smooth passes, it was an irritation-free BBS. I can't decide if the MMCP is smoother than my MMOC, or if my technique is really just locking-in. I'm also not sure yet, but I think the MMOC is slightly more efficient than the MMCP. One of these days -- in the somewhat distant future -- I'll probably do a shave-off so I can do a real-time comparison. For now, the verdict for and from me is that these Micromatics ROCK!!! :punk:

The rest of the shave gear today was a Gem PTFE blade with 8 previous shaves on it, the RazoRock Plissoft 24mm and Haslinger Schafmilch. Not in the photo was the post-shave Thayers (Rose).
View attachment 929167
Fun, Fun, Fun. So happy to read you enjoying yourself with these relics.

View attachment 929167

Awesome setup ! Yes the Micromatics rock !

Flintstone65

Alright everybody, you know what tomorrow is??????? It's Cyyyyyyberrrrrr Microoooomatic Monnnnnday :a11:!!!!!!!!
I've been trying to come up with a way to cyber-fy this Micromatic Shave, and since everything I'm going to be using was purchased online, I think that will work.

Tomorrow I'll be using the Micromatic Clog Pruf -- haven't chosen a soap or brush yet, but with the MMCP, I know it's going to be an awesome shave! Don't be shy, grab an MMOC, or MMCP, or a flying wing (aka bullet tip), a G-bar, featherweight, a push button, a Contour....From what I can tell, I think Micromatic Monday is open to Micromatics, those razors inspired by Micromatics, as well as those who secretly want to be Micromatics....it's a long list.

Had a shave two hours ago with my chrome plated MMOC. The Gem PTFE blade WAS on its 10+ shave. I used Arko shave stick and face lathered with a Razorock Plissoft brush.

In the first pass, the MMOC melted away my 48 hours of stubble like butter through knife. In the second pass and some touch ups the face was baby butt smooth and irritation free !

Held the face flat against the face just like in the Gem manual and slow short strokes with a lot of skin stretching !

I've stopped counting the number of shaves on the blade once it crossed 10 !

Pictures later as had a hectic morning today !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

Had a shave two hours ago with my chrome plated MMOC. The Gem PTFE blade WAS on its 10+ shave. I used Arko shave stick and face lathered with a Razorock Plissoft brush.

In the first pass, the MMOC melted away my 48 hours of stubble like butter through knife. In the second pass and some touch ups the face was baby butt smooth and irritation free !

Held the face flat against the face just like in the Gem manual and slow short strokes with a lot of skin stretching !

Sounds like a great shave!!! I was going to ask how many shaves you had on the blade, since I think I'm on my 11th shave and going strong . I rarely made it pasr 8 with my feather DE blades. Another reason to love the SE's!

Sounds like a great shave!!! I was going to ask how many shaves you had on the blade, since I think I'm on my 11th shave and going strong . I rarely made it pasr 8 with my feather DE blades. Another reason to love the SE's!
Yes indeed. Earlier I used to feel that beyond 8 shaves the blade is as blunt as a butter knife. After this thread and some other threads and massive changes to my technique - today's shave seemed like one of the best shaves and it amazes me. I am sure the blade was either on its 12th or 13th shave today.

I think one more secret to such awesome shaves is to get really good slick and watery lather, like they recommend in the excalibur club blade thread. I find Williams, Tabac , Mitchell's wool fat and today Arko give me some really fantastic two pass shaves which i suspect is the lather slickness ! I am trying more soaps and creams to find out after my improved technique.

Alright everybody, you know what tomorrow is??????? It's Cyyyyyyberrrrrr Microoooomatic Monnnnnday :a11:!!!!!!!!
I've been trying to come up with a way to cyber-fy this Micromatic Shave, and since everything I'm going to be using was purchased online, I think that will work.

Tomorrow I'll be using the Micromatic Clog Pruf -- haven't chosen a soap or brush yet, but with the MMCP, I know it's going to be an awesome shave! Don't be shy, grab an MMOC, or MMCP, or a flying wing (aka bullet tip), a G-bar, featherweight, a push button, a Contour....From what I can tell, I think Micromatic Monday is open to Micromatics, those razors inspired by Micromatics, as well as those who secretly want to be Micromatics....it's a long list.
Thank you for reminding everyone that it's Micromatic Monday. I've been on holiday and out of pocket a bit.

You are a GEM pro brother. If you ever want to use a straight razor/shavette, that same angle will be what you are after.

Yes indeed. Earlier I used to feel that beyond 8 shaves the blade is as blunt as a butter knife. After this thread and some other threads and massive changes to my technique - today's shave seemed like one of the best shaves and it amazes me. I am sure the blade was either on its 12th or 13th shave today.

I think one more secret to such awesome shaves is to get really good slick and watery lather, like they recommend in the excalibur club blade thread. I find Williams, Tabac , Mitchell's wool fat and today Arko give me some really fantastic two pass shaves which i suspect is the lather slickness ! I am trying more soaps and creams to find out after my improved technique.

Yes, I notice the lather's hydrated/slick quality to be essential also. Good observation and thanks for passing along the tip.

You are a GEM pro brother. If you ever want to use a straight razor/shavette, that same angle will be what you are after.
I have you to thank for being such an enabler. I cannot believe I was loosing out on such good shaves because of bad technique. And I see where you're going with this. Matter if time that I pull out my vintage SE razors and work with them on weekends to start with !

I have you to thank for being such an enabler. I cannot believe I was loosing out on such good shaves because of bad technique. And I see where you're going with this. Matter if time that I pull out my vintage SE razors and work with them on weekends to start with !

If you are in the US, I will send you a shave ready straight razor to try some time. You can use it several times before the edge needs attention. Your understanding of the importance of lather will serve you well and the angle will already be something you understand.

If you are in the US, I will send you a shave ready straight razor to try some time. You can use it several times before the edge needs attention. Your understanding of the importance of lather will serve you well and the angle will already be something you understand.
Very generous of you ! I'll message you :)

Great shave with my MMBT today. BBS after two passes with a bit of cleanup. After 4 shaves the blade seems just about being broken in.

Flintstone65

Thank you for reminding everyone that it's Micromatic Monday. I've been on holiday and out of pocket a bit.
My pleasure -- I'll admit you had me a bit worried when I didn't see you on the thread earlier....any later and you would've had a "just checking in on you" PM.

Flintstone65

Great shave with my MMBT today. BBS after two passes with a bit of cleanup. After 4 shaves the blade seems just about being broken in.
I picked up an MMBT a week or so ago, but I've been on this kick of using a single model of razor for at least 5 to 7 shaves, and I'm coming up on my 5th shave with my MMCP. Glad to hear you're enjoying the razor, I've heard great things about it and I'm looking forward to using it.

My pleasure -- I'll admit you had me a bit worried when I didn't see you on the thread earlier....any later and you would've had a "just checking in on you" PM.
Thank you, Fred..I mean Friend. It's nice to be missed.....

I had gotten an old Wade and Butcher wedge grind shave ready yesterday that I used this morning, but I will be back and involved in MM next week.

Flintstone65

That is awesome! Slickness in a soap/cream has been really important for me to have a good shave regardless of the razor, but it seems to be an absolute requirement for me when using an SE. I am embarrassed to say I haven't tried any of the 4 you mentioned, but it just so happens that a friend is sending me some Williams and I recently picked up some Arko on sale -- looking forward to trying them both. I've had good luck with Haslinger's Schafmilch, Cella, and some soap from Men's Soap Company that I won on our recent B&B auction.

Keep those tips coming my friend, my shaves keep improving with them!

Top Bottom