What's new

Micromatic Monday

That is awesome! Slickness in a soap/cream has been really important for me to have a good shave regardless of the razor, but it seems to be an absolute requirement for me when using an SE. I am embarrassed to say I haven't tried any of the 4 you mentioned, but it just so happens that a friend is sending me some Williams and I recently picked up some Arko on sale -- looking forward to trying them both. I've had good luck with Haslinger's Schafmilch, Cella, and some soap from Men's Soap Company that I won on our recent B&B auction.

Keep those tips coming my friend, my shaves keep improving with them!
I Forgot to mention Haslinger and Cella in the same list - blasphemous :)

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I am in ! Been using the Chrome G-bar this past week. I'll switch razors to the bullet tip or clog pruf !

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm in! Will either be my MMOC or MMCP. @Jill Snoddon please do join us on these Mondays!!! I've been following the threads on your SE journey and glad you're joining us on this path. I haven't totally abandoned my DE's, but since discovering SEs, they have been collecting some dust.

Flintstone65

Today's shave: Micromatic Open Comb, Gem PTFE (1st shave), Cella, Yaqi 26mm Timber Wolf Synthetic and finished with Thayers Rose. Had a couple of bad shaves last week trying some carbon blades....back with the Gem PTFE, got an awesome shave!
Sotd_12_3.jpg

Had a very smooth shave with my MMBT yesterday. 5 shaves in the blade lost its harshness, but still is slicing through the whiskers nicely.

I bought a MMOC and a hundred PTFE blades seeing the love here for them. I expect to get 10 shaves per blade but do not want to flip the blade each use if possible. Could I flip it after say 5 uses and get the same results maybe?

I get great results with my DE razors and touch ups using disposables and an electric but RAD kicked in. Was only $40 for the razor and blades so not a killer on money.

Flintstone65

I bought a MMOC and a hundred PTFE blades seeing the love here for them. I expect to get 10 shaves per blade but do not want to flip the blade each use if possible. Could I flip it after say 5 uses and get the same results maybe?

I get great results with my DE razors and touch ups using disposables and an electric but RAD kicked in. Was only $40 for the razor and blades so not a killer on money.
Congrats on joining the Micromatic community, I think you’re going to love the shaves! As to blade flipping, I don’t do it at all and manage to get at least 10 great shaves out of each Gem PTFE.

One thing I would caution you about is to check out the angle to use with this razor — pics and advice abound on this site — it is not the same angle as a DE. Also, it really is an absolutely no pressure razor, at least for me. That's about it, I would go slow and use your slickest, most protective soap. I don't find this razor aggressive, but it is awesomely efficient, and it is a different shaving experience for me versus the DE.

Let us know how your shaves go, and don't hesitate to ask questions. Again, welcome to the MMOC club!!! :clap:

Flintstone65

Had a very smooth shave with my MMBT yesterday. 5 shaves in the blade lost its harshness, but still is slicing through the whiskers nicely.
Nice!!! I acquired a MMBT recently and I just haven't introduced it into the rotation yet -- really looking forward to it. What blade are you using, PTFE, SS, Carbon?

Congratulations ! You'll come to love the MMOC especially the post shave skin feel.

When I started off like you and coming over from the DE world, and quickly abandoned Gem razors due to lack of technique.

With this thread and all the love I saw for the Micromatic, I again picked it up a few weeks ago and i just can't pick up any DE razors and usually go for my MMOC ! Zero pressure and the right angle will give you an awesome shave !

I am like you and flip them over when I am done cleaning the blade every few shaves. I am right now on a blade in my Micromatic OC razor which is on its 14th or maybe 15th shave. I've really stopped counting past the 10th shave as I expected only 10 shaves from a blade and now it's just kept going !

It is yet as smooth and efficient, I get a BBS with the same number of passes and touchups , nothing extra.

This. The initial shaves seem harsh and after fifth shaves the blade tends to become supremely smooth and cut the same without the harshness.

These are the shaves which will surprise you ! If you get some really good slick soap lather which is not too thick and dry - you'll achieve Shave Nirvana ! Keep posting your thoughts on each shave and let us know how it's going !

Nice!!! I acquired a MMBT recently and I just haven't introduced it into the rotation yet -- really looking forward to it. What blade are you using, PTFE, SS, Carbon?

I'm using GEM PFTE blades. The MMBT is a smooth shaver, but it is efficient too. I just need to shave every other day when using it.

This. The initial shaves seem harsh and after fifth shaves the blade tends to become supremely smooth and cut the same without the harshness.

These are the shaves which will surprise you ! If you get some really good slick soap lather which is not too thick and dry - you'll achieve Shave Nirvana ! Keep posting your thoughts on each shave and let us know how it's going!

At the moment I use Tabac and Valobra soaps. No problem to create slick, creamy lather with these. I'll keep you updated about the blade status. :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I don't have my micromatic open comb yet but I have some other models and will have to join you next Monday on the next shave, finally my brand new Gem SS PTFE blades arrived and raring to give them a go. More than likely will be shaving exclusively Gem for the next month+.

Might be out of pocket on Saturday, but as always, please join the GEM razor mania and have a good Micromatic Monday.

The recent interest in GME vintage razors is truly enjoyable to see. Thank you for participating. :a50::a50:

I have a Clog-Pruf crossing the Atlantic my way, and hopefully it'll be here for my Monday shave. I have some new Wickhams soaps I can't wait to try, sniffed them and like them. A bit excited....

I have a Clog-Pruf crossing the Atlantic my way, and hopefully it'll be here for my Monday shave. I have some new Wickhams soaps I can't wait to try, sniffed them and like them. A bit excited....
How cool is that!! Let's see. The CP were from the '40's right?

Top Bottom